2013 Jayco range released

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Yeah I recon I could fit another 2' in our driveway....I don't mind the black checker, this would stop the alloy one looking dull....might be a mod, etch prime and black 2pack! I wonder what the weight is of the 20'?

albo42

Sep 18, 2012
Canberra
when I picked mine up yesterday I had a look at the 2013 changes for the Expanda range. No additions and no deletions, and no changed layouts. External gas bayonet as standard, same with awning and a/c. Wiring for solar as standard (no panel). Black checkerplate for O/backs. New curtain, fabric, benchtop colours. Galvanised rear bumper on Outbacks. So nothing much, will let you know if i remember anything else.

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
How about a pic of a 1971 Expanda....... just saw it on Ebay - pretty good engineering for 40+ years old

1971.jpg

1971a.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/rare-vintage-1971-fibeglass-expandavan-caravan-/261135232023?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cccdf6c17

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Giday all!
just been to Page bros to select colours for our 17.56.1 due in feb
thought id post a couple of pics of the new black checker plate sides they had on a sterling
the list of "upgrades " looks good especially the gal rear bar which hopefully will be alot better than the current one
hope the photos come up ok!
View attachment 10850View attachment 10851

Thanks for the pics. The decal colours make it look a little dull... ?

Bugeye

Jul 26, 2012
Northside Sydney
When I picked my Expanda up two weeks ago the 'handover' guy mentioned the black checkerplate on next years model and said that it had been on Sterlings for a while and they had a number of people whinging about scratches and chips to the black finish....
I wonder how they will sort that before the expandas (which I suspect go offroad more) come out.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I ordered a new 17.56-2 OB Expanda on the 15th November.

The dealer showed me the internal document with the list of changes to the 2013 models – as previously posted, the brochures haven’t been updated for public release… but OB Expandas now include:

- Black checker plate finish to the sides
- LED internal lights (rolling stock update) - so I went for a mid-march delivery instead of the first run due early march
- Updated 15” alloy wheels (I went 16” so will probably get old stock…)
- Upgraded wheel arches
- Upgraded step insert
- Revised fabric patterns and/or/maybe a new colour
- Updated tent colour – Mineral (no idea what this looks like)
- Upgraded Joinery pattern – Avikira (apparently used in Sterlings?)
- Galvanised rear bumper

Expandas will now come standard with:
- Roll out awning
- Air conditioning
- Gas bayonet

When shopping around some dealers mentioned up to a 3% price increase for 2013 models – pricing remained the same as 2012 pricing if you optioned-up the now standard features, as this is what you are paying extra for in the 2013 van price…

Regarding the LED lights - the document specifically noted 'rolling stock update' (even though other Jayco vans already have LED as standard). I had the dealer ring the factory to double check and then I had it written on the contract that my Expanda must have LED lights fitted and opted for the 2nd production run in March.

Regarding the black checker plate, I agree Antman and Bugeye, the decal colours make it look dull and black painted checker plate will scratch and chip off... at least you can polish aluminium when it dulls. Further to this, my dealer confirmed the external speakers will be mounted on the checker plate - and they will be white! you'd think they could at least colour code speakers.

It’s like taking a step backwards… I am eagerly awaiting the new product brochures and call up from my dealer to go in and confirm the colours (internal and now external). Well, at least its only cosmetic and doesn’t impact on the functionally which make Expandas so great.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
- Upgraded wheel arches
- Upgraded step insert

- Galvanised rear bumper

I think it will be interesting to see what they mean by the upgraded wheel arches and step inserts?
Also, my father in law has a discovery with the galvanised bumper and didn't like it so he painted it black. I quite like my white bumper but can see how it could scratch easily and the gal would get rid of this issue.

Also Ligedy -:welcome:, i like your avatar :first: !

Cheers
Ants

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hey ligedy
You have confused me with the external speakers and checker plate.
Aren't the speakers mounted at the top of the van and the checker plate at the bottom?

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Aren't the speakers mounted at the top of the van and the checker plate at the bottom?

Hi Brad, Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah because...

Correct - checker plate at the bottom.
18ft'as / full vans have full height and bigger overhead storage compartments so I was told they can hide the rear of the speaker and wires better in full vans and thus install higher up.
17ft'as / pop tops they install lower down in the checker plate region (must align with lower storage compartments) to hide the speaker install due to the lack of the above.

We’ll that what the dealer told me – I also remember reading something similar on another post, and kinda like the idea as it's closer to the listening position when laid back in a camp chair sucking on a stubby.

I believe it's a similar case with the internal speakers (from factory install) - 18.57 they install higher up and spread them out whereas the 17.56 get two side by side very close together at the end of the walkway in rear boot compartment below the bed end.

Cheers

Bugeye

Jul 26, 2012
Northside Sydney
Re speakers... Ligedy is correct. I especially had my dealer ring jayco and request speakers to be put up high in my 17.56.2 but NO was the answer. They are low ... in the checkerplate.... but now I have them there I am satisfied the mud and dust will clean off them OK which is what I was concerned with.

Glenn

Sep 6, 2012
Bittern, VIC
Maybe i should have waited, this would have siuted us better with 3 kids and the wife liked the idea of the seperate toilet 7 shower which is why we chose the model we did !

Down side though, extra 2' wont fit in the shed. Can't have it all i supose

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Curious. My 2011 16.49.1 poptop OB has high mounted external speakers (speaker backs are in the shoulder height internal cupboards).

The 2 x internal speakers are low mounted in the back floor cupboard (in the space under the rear mattress).

Mine as well...