Uniden /GME UHF Radios, What have you got? And aerials?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I've just discovered the portable unidens actually need their batteries removed if they're not being used for a while.

Result: two dead ones as the terminals are corroded and not retrievable.

We didn't use them much so will just bin them.

And get a better model for the future.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I've just discovered the portable unidens actually need their batteries removed if they're not being used for a while.

I'm assuming these were alkaline batteries?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm assuming as well! I just tossed them, along with the grunge.

I had a bit of a look for a replacement ...portable.....and came up with an oricon.

It looks like a fixed unit, with mic on cable and has a magnetic aerial to plonk on the roof. Comes in a container so can be tucked away when not needed....and a 12v socket so no need for grungy batteries. Just not sure! I'll try to post some piccies of it when I use my pc...can't do it on the iPad. I'm slow.

My preference is for a portable one, rather than a fully installed version as I've had to sell vehicles in the past with expensively fitted ones and I always get an injury somehow from under dash mounted ones.

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
s-l500.jpg

This is the Oricom I was considering.

Anyone tried this? Comments?

(As said, I want a simple and portable one.....doesn't have to be able to have a huge range. Just enough so the bdouble driver behind me can squark if he needs to)

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat

What model Uniden @Dobbie ? I just picked up a 3.5w UHF074sx for $79 with a 10 mag/dvd subscription with 4WD action. Ebay has the uhf for $159 on it's own. It has a lithium rechargeable battery in it.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
What model Uniden @Dobbie ? I just picked up a 3.5w UHF074sx for $79 with a 10 mag/dvd subscription with 4WD action. Ebay has the uhf for $159 on it's own. It has a lithium rechargeable battery in it.
thats good value mate.. I get those emails daily don't always look. $79 cheap.

We have a second GME 5W if your after a handheld @Dobbie only used the charger as some idiot (me) forgot ours on the big trip. So got a second unit :)

Reactions: 17triton