Uniden /GME UHF Radios, What have you got? And aerials?

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
@yabbietol... with that link posted, is there any reason why I would have both antennas? Would I swap them over? Install both?

Through that website I found this pack which I reckon seems like decent value:

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/gme-electrophone-tx3345-uniden-at870-antenna-pack
That looks like a nice setup and I think not a bad deal. I misunderstood, your original question I though you had decided the radio and yet to choose the aerial. The package you picked has an Ok mid range aerial, so I would go with that deal. Personally I prefer ICOM, but GME are pretty good radios. The key thing with the supplied aerial is that it is suitable for mounting on bull bars. this means it does not need a ground plane like many roof mounted aerials for best performance and also it is tuned to that radio and cable supplied with radio.

A nice little kit, do not shorten the cable or add extra cable as otherwise the aerial will need retuning, just use the cable supplied and it should work well.

The link I posted earlier has two whips for the aerial base a 6db and 3db, normally I just leave the higher gain (6db) on most of the time and the 3db is kept in the glove box as a spare if the other one is stolen or broken. So no need to swap over in normal use. I also have a much longer high gain UHF whip for longer ranges in remote areas, but only use it rarely, it is also too tall to fit in my garage when fitted so mostly use the 6db whip unless way out bush.
Hope this helps
Regards
Terry

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks Terry, yeah, when I said I had chosen the unit, I figured that model was the one I would chase down and get the best price on. I don't think I really want to swap antenna's around too much.

There's also some really good ICOM packages on there (I've heard good things too) but really don't think I'll use it enough to warrant the extra spend.

Really appreciate the feedback and advice as well.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
You are most welcome.
You can always pickup a spare whip around the place (most 4WD shops or electronics stores) the GME base seems almost unbreakable. To be honest I tend to get it set up, check all the connectors have not vibrated loose ( common UHF radio fault in 4WD), do a radio check with my hand held and leave the CB alone and use it when I need it.

Reactions: Drover and Smergen

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
My aerial is a GME as well not sure if 6db or not but it seems pretty solid on a good base.

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
hey @Smergen , just read your post re that gme unit tx3345, i believe its a very small red coloured unit if so , see if you can check the speaker quality as i have heard the internal speaker is also small and of poor out put , hence the reason i went next model up . 3540

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
hey @Smergen , just read your post re that gme unit tx3345, i believe its a very small red coloured unit if so , see if you can check the speaker quality as i have heard the internal speaker is also small and of poor out put , hence the reason i went next model up . 3540
Good point @Colsar I have the next size up and the sound is ok, and those red ones are tiny

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I have a Uniden NB7760, with the controls in the hand piece. Its has been faultless. I have just swapped it out to a new vehicle and needed another aerial. After much research I bought a RFI brand Australian made aerial and must say that is the best I have had. Its a 6db and is getting clear reception in areas where I wasnt getting reception before. Very happy.

Reactions: Bluey

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Haven't heard to much about the poor speaker quality for the TX3345, but I'll look into it. It's a very compact unit so it might be on the small side. The next model is a bit more of a whack though.

Another vote for the cheaper 7760NB from @Jaybird is interesting as that's the other model I was thinking...

Last edited:

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I have a uniden remote Head unit . Really happy with it .
I mounted the arial low on the bullbar so I can Drive into to garage without the need to remove it .
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree and Smergen

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
My uniden is in transit been sent by d smith get it monday I hope thanks jaybird will look at those rfi ones the misses isnt going to like an areial in front of her if it saves you one speeding fine its paid for itself mine has a scanner hope it works in the country I think it should but not in city I wish I could put it on the gutter of cruiser but it dosnt have one

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
im looking at this one http://www.prestigecom.net.au/rfi-cd933-black-6-5dbi-3dbi-uhf-cb-antenna-pack its not quick connect as there a bit more cash nearly 200 and not 6.5 dbi but lots to look at , at prestige communications prices seem ok what do we think about this antenna is it like yours @Jaybird
A nice aerial.
However, one suggestion is to mount the aerial on the top of the bull bar not behind it, those U shaped brackets work well. If mounted low down and behind the bull bar reception will not be as good and tend to be a bit directional due to the obstruction of the vehicle body and parts of the bar, radio waves do not go far through steel. It will still work at close range, but not as well at longer ranges, it is also better physically protected behind the bar.
Good aerial position is important for the best reception. Optimal position is a mid roof mounted aerial that has no obstructions and has a good 360 deg ground plane from a metal roof plus the extra bit of height. Mounting on a bull bar is always a compromise, but usually easier than on a roof.
Regards
Terry
PS The spec appears to say 6.5db?

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
A nice aerial.
However, one suggestion is to mount the aerial on the top of the bull bar not behind it, those U shaped brackets work well. If mounted low down and behind the bull bar reception will not be as good and tend to be a bit directional due to the obstruction of the vehicle body and parts of the bar, radio waves do not go far through steel. It will still work at close range, but not as well at longer ranges, it is also better physically protected behind the bar.
Good aerial position is important for the best reception. Optimal position is a mid roof mounted aerial that has no obstructions and has a good 360 deg ground plane from a metal roof plus the extra bit of height. Mounting on a bull bar is always a compromise, but usually easier than on a roof.
Regards
Terry
PS The spec appears to say 6.5db?
yes that one is 6.5 but the quick connect ones are not by the looks I would rather put it on the roof maybe on roof rack I have a steel one but its a bit heavy I think and have taken it off want to get an alloy one just for my poles and longer stuff with a low line box on it for stuff to go in so could mount antenna on roof ????????? because van can block it anyway if its on top bar of bull bar ????? then it wouldn't be in the way of the misses looking out from front seat if it was on roof

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Just to throw a curve ball in here.
I went through similar thoughts a while ago and I figured that I didn't want a permanent instal, mainly because I didn't want a mic hanging around when I'm not using it, but I also didn't want a fender mounted aerial either, so I bought one of these.
Works well enough when in convoy when needed, but otherwise, it's been out of the centre console maybe 3 times in the past year.
http://www.oricom.com.au/oricom-uhf...hf-cb-radios/uhf5500-1-handheld-cb-radio.html

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Interesting @Matty4 and I'm with you with not wanting stuff hanging around when not in use.

That's why I also like @Crusty181's solution with the removable mic that ports into a socket. I would prefer a hardwired in solution to save me with yet another charger to remember (or forget).

Really appreciate the feedback though.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When I fitted a GME in the son in laws BT50, I stuck the main unit under the seat, held down with Sikaflex and the control unit double sided tape worked a treat mounting it in a pocket in the console.
Can't remember what aerial he had though but it wasn't one of those broom stick sized jobs, had one on the truck and when a branch killed it replaced with a 2 ft stainless with a twist loading in the middle, never broke and didn't notice any difference in range was only about $40, use one now and works good.
In the days of 27Mhz I had a long wire aerial which I could throw between trees after checking direction and then tune in, lot of ginning around but worked in emergencies.
Less stuffing around to fit it @Smergen the better, run cables thru the bung in the floor easier than the firewall.

Reactions: Crusty181 and Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
got my c/b uhf today nice looking unit also has one of those plugs like @Crusty181 has shown an extension from the unit then to plug mike into very nice indeed wished I had one of those fittings now I have one bonus it seems a very capable unit plenty of stuff I will never use im sure $300 delivered bargain uniden 80 80 nd

Reactions: Drover

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
got my c/b uhf today nice looking unit also has one of those plugs like @Crusty181 has shown an extension from the unit then to plug mike into very nice indeed wished I had one of those fittings now I have one bonus it seems a very capable unit plenty of stuff I will never use im sure $300 delivered bargain uniden 80 80 nd

I think mines the UH8060S uniden