Solar The Solar Panel Thread

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland

So don't come back about the coffee dudes, you will be Off Topic.........nah, nah.

Not true @Drover, coffee makers are power users and have quite a bearing on whether solar panels,batteries and inverters are adequate for the job. What type of coffee maker will also make a difference. My plunger or those who like instant coffee reduce the amount of power needed to be stored. So, at this point, we are not off topic. :boink:

Reactions: Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have to continue the digression.............

if you really need the Coffee Machine (and I do.... )
fit a large enough inverter to your TUG.............
as you would use your tug atleast once every second day (maybe.....)
an inverter on your second battery in the car will be suffice to run the coffee machine when needed (every 5 mins for me) and you wont be running the Van's battery down.................

just a thought............

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Brilliant @bigcol , truly the idea of the year....(supposed to be cheering emoticon but it won't work).......solar panels are on my Ute, 110amp battery and just need to mount inverter and coffee machine in the Ute Shed, just like a smoko van..................oh another Mod before I hit the road..................................Well said @chartrock , though milk frothers are a waste of power, I'll find another line.....

Damn need a new Laptop, 15 yrs old and it's about had it........

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I should point out, that we're not big coffee drinkers, just another thing we were thinking as a possibility. I think we'll probably get by with the panel and Anderson plug support and then also a generator. As @Drover points out, the Genny offers a fair bit of redundancy.

Personally I'd love another panel, another battery, all kinds of trickery, but at what cost and weight, and for what % of time. I reckon we'll run on one panel and battery up to Flinders and then see how we go.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I should point out, that we're not big coffee drinkers, just another thing we were thinking as a possibility. I think we'll probably get by with the panel and Anderson plug support and then also a generator. As @Drover points out, the Genny offers a fair bit of redundancy.

Personally I'd love another panel, another battery, all kinds of trickery, but at what cost and weight, and for what % of time. I reckon we'll run on one panel and battery up to Flinders and then see how we go.

I like to cover all bases so have 2 batteries, 2 solar panels, and even 2
generators :) ( and I don't drink coffee, and SWMBO uses coffee bags)

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
@Smergen what about seeing what the cost is to increase the size of the panel. I know with Jayco it was like $40 to go 120 to 150w.
If you look on a few online stores the $ difference is like $20.
There is a 12v pod taking expresso although not cheap.. I was hoping I find one on sale although never seen one in store

Reactions: bigcol

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
I just turn the inverter on when required. We make 2 cups of coffee and then turn it off. Definitely doesn't drain the batteries. I also use it to run the microwave for a few minutes.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I have a spare 120 battery...deep cycle...we now use for home when we lose power and keep it full charged.

So, again as an experiment, I put an inverter on it and plugged in the coffee machine.

It wouldn't even start so that was the end of that.

Glen your's will certainly work...no dispute...with the enormous capacity you have in battery and solar and a big inverter.

My point / concern was that the cost of setting up a portable home purely for a coffee machine is prohibitive if you don't intend to camp unpowered very much.

My other concern is that the weight added to said portable home...not from coffee machine but from extra batteries, extra solar etc could present problems to those already concerned about weight issues.

And cost!

I know quite a number of us are concerned about weight....and I'm obsessive about it, I'll freely admit.

So that's where I'm coming from. Not trying to be contentious but I do think the time to worry about weight issues is before you add lots of stuff, some of which are necessary, but some may not be.

:amen:

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
So am now really really p%^#ed off after our weekend away we discovered after all this time that the Solar on the van doesn't work. 2 years old and I suppose partially my own fault as we only generally use powered sites and haven't been away for longer than 2 nights. Jayco have been pretty good got me to pull the area apart and check all fuses cables the roof panel etc. It looks like its a Solar regulator issue. I have removed the old one and noticed that I had to cut the wire on 2 cables as they had been screwed in so hard they deformed the ring internally. I have been quoted $88 less my discount just want some input first

ideas @bigcol @dagree @Smergen @Drover @chartrock @Holden_man

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We replaced our standard solar reg. I found it didn't give me all the info I wanted .
The new one shows everything , panel voltage ,battery voltage , amps in , amps for the day , amps last day 2days ago etc .
A lot better unit so I wouldn't waste my money on another standard one
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 192

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'd agree.

We had one of those in our Swan and it was really good.

Our Jayco one hasn't turned up its toes...yet....but, when it does, I'll replace it with the Powertech, or similar.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Check to see if it's MPPT.....better if can get it.

Ours was but can't see if the other is.

Ours was red!

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
OK so Jayco will provide me with a new unit as its my second new van from them and even though outside warranty. Lets hope it works and this was the issue.

In the mean time I think I will seek out a new unit and also invest in a set of Ebay $199 panels with controller that, once I fit an Anderson to the Ctek in the Prado and just a direct plug in the expanda, will hopefully give me a set of versatile panels that I can add to the single on the van or use to trickle feed the car dual battery unit.

me thinks this will work.

Reactions: Drover and dagree