Our Silverline mods

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hey M. When the good folk at Jayco put my outdoor TV hatch where my door catch should, and had no acceptable catch replacement, i put on the Dometic Silverline magnetic catch. Very nice, pretty and convenient.

Heads up, twice a strong wind has grab the door detached it from the magnetic catch and slammed the door so hard it shattered the upper plastic catch. I thought the whole thing was going to rip of the van ... pretty surprised only a catch got destroyed.

More duct holding the inner and outer doors together for a week, until i could replace the catch.

Keep an eye on that magnetic catch in the wind ...

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Hey M. When the good folk at Jayco put my outdoor TV hatch where my door catch should, and had no acceptable catch replacement, i put on the Dometic Silverline magnetic catch. Very nice, pretty and convenient.

Heads up, twice a strong wind has grab the door detached it from the magnetic catch and slammed the door so hard it shattered the upper plastic catch. I thought the whole thing was going to rip of the van ... pretty surprised only a catch got destroyed.

More duct holding the inner and outer doors together for a week, until i could replace the catch.

Keep an eye on that magnetic catch in the wind ...
Thanks mate we have had the magnetic latch come apart often when we first got the van ,jayco fixed it , but now carry a spare .

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Just an update on our solar panels . We spent 5 days at the Phillip island track camping running all 12v plus a fair few other campers charging their phones and the reg hardly changed from the float mode the hole time .
Very happy with the set up
Probably why ours isnt working ... your sucking all the power over the the south east

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Bought and fitted the Mchitch auto coupler today .
It's well made and the stone stomper fits so I'm very happy just need to try it on the road
It's a simple process to fit and the handbrake works well

image.png

Pic tomorrow

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Apart from the obvious benefits of an off road coupling, can I ask why you chose this one?

We've always had the old Treg in other vans and found them good but haven't really kept up with the new ones so opted to retain the standard ball coupling on the expanda. We didn't think we'd be tackling rough terrain but did get the Outback.

Anyway, we seem to find our old habits of exploring rough stuff die hard so wonder if we should change.

As far as I can see, the benefits of the latest ones are difficult to assess so would appreciate your thoughts.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Apart from the obvious benefits of an off road coupling, can I ask why you chose this one?

We've always had the old Treg in other vans and found them good but haven't really kept up with the new ones so opted to retain the standard ball coupling on the expanda. We didn't think we'd be tackling rough terrain but did get the Outback.

Anyway, we seem to find our old habits of exploring rough stuff die hard so wonder if we should change.

As far as I can see, the benefits of the latest ones are difficult to assess so would appreciate your thoughts.

your lucky @Dobbie over here in wait awhile, if you order an Outback - it comes standard with a Treg / Trig hitch

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We had the Treg on an Aussie Swag ages ago and it was great. Did the 12 month obligatory lap with over 20,000k off road.

But this time we were lazy ....and it wasn't offered as an option so we forgot to check.

But we still find ourselves on challenging roads so we must either change our ways or look for an off road hitch.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hey @mfexpanda, with your inverter plug to plug are you just relying on the Drifter battery switch to isolate the batteries when your using the inverter.

Ive just ordered a 2500w inverter. Im unlikely to be able to do your mod on the road anyways ... but you never know