Lara's 16.49-1 OB

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Looks fantastic Lara, definitely something i'll do down the track. Was the frame secured from underneath with screws? I recon in the future Jayco will start doing this also, or maybe sell as an upgrade/extra! Maybe it should be patented now so Jayco can pay royalties :)

Hi Burnsy,
Yep secured with screws from underneath!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Just a couple quick and simple mods done today while I was packing the Expanda to head off to Crescent Head tomorrow. I like everything to have a place!.

After completing the bed mod, there was still some storage space left between the mattress and wardrobe, so I thought I'd put this space to good use. I have mounted the hockey sticks (if thats what you call them?) on the wall with foam lined rod holders, holds them nice and tight. Rather than screwing them up I have used heavy duty velcro, they're not going anywhere!
This area also has room for the step ladder which is now held in place with hooks and occy strap, and the other side has the small side table also hooks and occy strap.

IMG_4056.jpg IMG_4059.jpg IMG_4064.jpg IMG_4060.jpg

Then I came across this rubber step tread at Bunnings. Really great addition, is non slip, looks great and only $14.98.
It was 750 wide so I trimmed it down to fit nice and snug. It doesn't move at all, so no plans at this stage to glue it down, just throw it in the hatch when not being used.

IMG_4061.jpg IMG_4063.jpg

And finally, a idea taken from Chartrock. No longer will I have to hold up the cupboard flaps under the front bed with my head.
I have now fitted spring loaded hooks that close when not being used, and small bungy cord under the flap lid.
Thanks Chartrock!

IMG_4066.jpg IMG_4069.jpg

Cant wait to get away!!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Thanks Brad, Was it you that has also done this mod? I vaguely remember reading something but no pics? If it was you, then thanks to you also for the inspiration! You should post up some pics too!
Yep. One of the best mods I have done simply because we could organise a mattress that was and is extremely comfortable.

Reactions: Lara

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Yep. One of the best mods I have done simply because we could organise a mattress that was and is extremely comfortable.

Agree, the comfort is what it's all about! No-one wants to be around me if I haven't had a good nights sleep!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
And finally, a idea taken from Chartrock. No longer will I have to hold up the cupboard flaps under the front bed with my head.
I have now fitted spring loaded hooks that close when not being used, and small bungy cord under the flap lid.
Thanks Chartrock!

View attachment 13160 View attachment 13161

Cant wait to get away!!

Lara, as much as I like the adulation, I can't take credit for this mod. :( I have not done it to my van (although I probably soon will copy) and I can't help you with who did it first.

You have shattered my faith in the superiority of the male of the species. I bow to your talents. :hail:

Reactions: Lara and Xpandafan

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Bed mod looks awesome Lara, thanks for the pics, is your B-I-L now taken orders for bed mod work:D , oh and you've now got me looking at doing the table storage mod. geeeezzz I might even keep my Panda now.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
I want my expanda back now :)!!

You have single handled fixed all the bug bears I had with the expanda in about 1 month :)!

Well done some excellent ideas and mods.....

Thanks Expanda, I'm having fun doing the all mods and making life in the Expanda pretty comfortable!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Lara, as much as I like the adulation, I can't take credit for this mod. :( I have not done it to my van (although I probably soon will copy) and I can't help you with who did it first.

You have shattered my faith in the superiority of the male of the species. I bow to your talents. :hail:

Ha, could have sworn it was you, oops. There's a member out there somewhere I have to give credit to, just don't know who....

Ha, Bow away Chartrock! Love it!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Bed mod looks awesome Lara, thanks for the pics, is your B-I-L now taken orders for bed mod work:D , oh and you've now got me looking at doing the table storage mod. geeeezzz I might even keep my Panda now.

Hey there Bushman!
Was thinking about you and the bed mod! Brother in law Christian lives all of 5 minutes from Big 4 Lakeside at Narrabeen. If you're ever staying there, let me know, might be able to twist Christians arm to do the job for you!
Bonus being, he knows what he's doing And very good at what he does!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Wow is this van still technically an expanda? Now that you have fixed all the typical issues i would say it is not;)

Nice work on the mods:thumb:

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hey there Bushman!
Was thinking about you and the bed mod! Brother in law Christian lives all of 5 minutes from Big 4 Lakeside at Narrabeen. If you're ever staying there, let me know, might be able to twist Christians arm to do the job for you!
Bonus being, he knows what he's doing And very good at what he does!

HHHHMMMM, might just have to take you up on that Lara :D, have to arranged a weekend on the Northern Beaches. My cabinet work is darker than yours, have to see what timber is out there, wonder if Jayco can supply a mactching panel?

09092010216.jpg

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
HHHHMMMM, might just have to take you up on that Lara :D, have to arranged a weekend on the Northern Beaches. My cabinet work is darker than yours, have to see what timber is out there, wonder if Jayco can supply a mactching panel?

View attachment 13173

Sounds like a good idea to me. Any excuse for a weekend getaway! I'll show Christian your pic when were back from Crescent and see what has reckons about timber choice.
Just had our first sleep on the new bed mod, and I have to say, slept like a baby!

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Just a couple quick and simple mods done today while I was packing the Expanda to head off to Crescent Head tomorrow. I like everything to have a place!.

After completing the bed mod, there was still some storage space left between the mattress and wardrobe, so I thought I'd put this space to good use. I have mounted the hockey sticks (if thats what you call them?) on the wall with foam lined rod holders, holds them nice and tight. Rather than screwing them up I have used heavy duty velcro, they're not going anywhere!
This area also has room for the step ladder which is now held in place with hooks and occy strap, and the other side has the small side table also hooks and occy strap.

View attachment 13154 View attachment 13155 View attachment 13157 View attachment 13156

Then I came across this rubber step tread at Bunnings. Really great addition, is non slip, looks great and only $14.98.
It was 750 wide so I trimmed it down to fit nice and snug. It doesn't move at all, so no plans at this stage to glue it down, just throw it in the hatch when not being used.

View attachment 13158 View attachment 13159

Thanks Chartrock!

View attachment 13160 View attachment 13161

Cant wait to get away!!

Lara, very nice and neat mods.

Re: the the step ladder, we place ours behind the front lid along with the foldaway clothesline (they seem to get grubby and leaving them external worked out better for us).

We also done the same for holding up those access lids into the compartments, thanks again CR.

Cheers Pace.