Lara's 16.49-1 OB

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Here are the much anticipated pics of my custom mattress bed mod.
Really happy with how its all turned out, the carpentry, the mattresses, the colour match, the comfort...... Ahh love it all!!

This first pic is of the blackbutt fascia in its raw state. I had a couple off cuts to sample finishes on before commiting. Luckily my first choice of Liming wax worked a treat and looks fantastic. So I went ahead and did the lot!

IMG_4005.jpg IMG_4058.jpg

The carpentry pics! Gotta love a builder brother in law. Christian has done a brilliant job, its perfection! As mentioned in a previous post, Blackbutt was used for the fascia and pine for the internals. We now have bigger deeper storage under the beds!

IMG_4026.jpg IMG_4029.jpg IMG_4031.jpg IMG_4037.jpg IMG_4036.jpg IMG_4033.jpg IMG_4035.jpg

Now for the mattress pics.
The mattresses are custom made by Beds Direct in Melbourne. I would highly recommend this company, they have been so great to deal with, very helpful but most importantly understand the needs of the expanda, the 50/50 split with zipper in the middle. The mattresses are unbelievably comfortable and only 3kgs heavier than the Jayco foam. We went for the re-creation 'ultimate pillow top'. Its 18cm deep and pure bliss to lay on.
IMG_4024.jpg IMG_4025.jpg IMG_4038.jpg IMG_4039.jpg IMG_4040.jpg IMG_4041.jpg IMG_4046.jpg IMG_4048.jpg IMG_4049.jpg IMG_4052.jpg

And finally I know some of you may be wondering how the fit when folded, and how the hard lids close. Yes I'm a mind reader!!
The bed ends fold up no problem at all. The mattresses are thicker so fill the space more once closed as you will see in these pics, but it doesnt affect closing the beds ends at all.

IMG_4016.jpg IMG_4017.jpg IMG_4018.jpg IMG_4019.jpg IMG_4023.jpg IMG_4022.jpg

Couldn't be happier! So here's to many good nights sleep in the Expanda, cant wait!!

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
Here are the much anticipated pics of my custom mattress bed mod.
Really happy with how its all turned out, the carpentry, the mattresses, the colour match, the comfort...... Ahh love it all!!

This first pic is of the blackbutt fascia in its raw state. I had a couple off cuts to sample finishes on before commiting. Luckily my first choice of Liming wax worked a treat and looks fantastic. So I went ahead and did the lot!

View attachment 13120 View attachment 13147

The carpentry pics! Gotta love a builder brother in law. Christian has done a brilliant job, its perfection! As mentioned in a previous post, Blackbutt was used for the fascia and pine for the internals. We now have bigger deeper storage under the beds!

View attachment 13129 View attachment 13130 View attachment 13122 View attachment 13123 View attachment 13124 View attachment 13125 View attachment 13126

Now for the mattress pics.
The mattresses are custom made by Beds Direct in Melbourne. I would highly recommend this company, they have been so great to deal with, very helpful but most importantly understand the needs of the expanda, the 50/50 split with zipper in the middle. The mattresses are unbelievably comfortable and only 3kgs heavier than the Jayco foam. We went for the re-creation 'ultimate pillow top'. Its 18cm deep and pure bliss to lay on.
View attachment 13127 View attachment 13128 View attachment 13131 View attachment 13132 View attachment 13133 View attachment 13134 View attachment 13136 View attachment 13137 View attachment 13138 View attachment 13140

And finally I know some of you may be wondering how the fit when folded, and how the hard lids close. Yes I'm a mind reader!!
The bed ends fold up no problem at all. The mattresses are thicker so fill the space more once closed as you will see in these pics, but it doesnt affect closing the beds ends at all.

View attachment 13141 View attachment 13142 View attachment 13143 View attachment 13144 View attachment 13145 View attachment 13146

Couldn't be happier! So here's to many good nights sleep in the Expanda, cant wait!!
Looks awesome, how much for the mattress?

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
great work lara (and bro in law)
ok how much for the mattresses each please?
maybe on my list for after this trip!!!!!

Yep, I scored a pretty good brother in law! He's a keeper!

The mattresses were $710 each, so $1420 for both.
A good nights sleep, priceless!

Expanda14

Nov 14, 2012
Melbourne
Looks great Lara looks like aka scotty cam has been on the tools again.
Well done mate looks great ....
It's like keeping up with the joneses with you
Back to the mods board and try to keep your pace
Cheers E14

Reactions: Lara

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Looks great Lara looks like aka scotty cam has been on the tools again.
Well done mate looks great ....
It's like keeping up with the joneses with you
Back to the mods board and try to keep your pace
Cheers E14

Ah E14, I was waiting for you to spot the bed mod, too funny!
Glad you like it! Credit to my brother in law for the carpentry, I was mearly project manager for this one!
Might have to change my name to Lara Jones!

Expanda14

Nov 14, 2012
Melbourne
It's been a flat out week not been on much in the last few days
Looks like we got our dream home and ours went on the market today, And amongst that some old customer trying to
Take us for a heap of cash
but the mods look great

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
It's been a flat out week not been on much in the last few days
Looks like we got our dream home and ours went on the market today, And amongst that some old customer trying to
Take us for a heap of cash
but the mods look great

Congrats on the house purchase. Is this the one in Yarra Glen you mentioned in another thread? Good luck with the sale of yours! Now for the dreaded open house, have to keep the house spotless.

There always a few scumbags out there trying it on, at least you're onto him! Don't know how some of these people sleep at night....

Expanda14

Nov 14, 2012
Melbourne
Yep looks like we are moving to yarra glen
And we have some people coming through ours tomorrow so hope for the best
Yeh the company who are trying it on is a job that I took on and the father in law said he was a prick when we
went there for a site visit . And I said no it will be fine ,,,,,,,,,,, oops
so I've been getting it from him all week

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Yep looks like we are moving to yarra glen
And we have some people coming through ours tomorrow so hope for the best
Yeh the company who are trying it on is a job that I took on and the father in law said he was a prick when we
went there for a site visit . And I said no it will be fine ,,,,,,,,,,, oops
so I've been getting it from him all week

Dont you hate it when the in laws are right! You and Andrew could share many stories about these dodgy customers over a beer or two! Gotta go with the gut sometimes!
Good luck tomorrow!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Looks fantastic Lara, definitely something i'll do down the track. Was the frame secured from underneath with screws? I recon in the future Jayco will start doing this also, or maybe sell as an upgrade/extra! Maybe it should be patented now so Jayco can pay royalties :)

Reactions: Lara

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Looks fantastic Lara, definitely something i'll do down the track. Was the frame secured from underneath with screws? I recon in the future Jayco will start doing this also, or maybe sell as an upgrade/extra! Maybe it should be patented now so Jayco can pay royalties :)

Thanks Burnsey, will let you know about the screws and securing later this morning when I'm out in the van.
ahhh, royalties, sadly not in Jayco's lifetime...... I reckon they'd rather continue with the uneven mattresses! That way they don't have to think too hard!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Bed ends look great Lara.

Thanks Brad, Was it you that has also done this mod? I vaguely remember reading something but no pics? If it was you, then thanks to you also for the inspiration! You should post up some pics too!