is the 3.0 ltr patrol any good for towing expanda

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Only thing I'm thinking about doing if I don't switch to a ute is upgrading the exhaust. No doubt that would help with any stock car, including a Patrol.

I have a chip and exhausat in my Patrol which is great around town but its still crap towing, i agrre with comments on Moxley23 post i would not loook to tow anything heavier than 1.5 with the Patrols

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I have not heard anything much on the 170KW 550 NM leader of the pack.... The V6 Navara deisel, talk about the power to do whatever you want.
Cheers

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Great engine, but from what i understand, the Navara / Pathfinder require a fair bit of suspension upgrade and underbody protection if you're going to do outback touring or offroad work. Makes an expensive truck more so.

Put a Steinbauer chip and 3" exhaust on a a BT50 / Ranger for less than $3k, that'd be good for a easy 20% increase, so the 147 kw heads to approx 175kw and torque form 470nm to approx 560nm. That'd do me!

Mind you, add the same to a Navara / Pathie and you're looking at 200kw and 650nm...200 series TDV8 territory in a lighter vehicle!

Not really, the Pathy and Nav need no more work than any other d/cab or mid size wagon. Most of the wagons, Playdo included could do with some airbags etc, hardly expensive. D40 could help with a lift, but most longer dual cabs do. Check the ground clearance specs and they are all similar within reason.

Yes under body protection is not the D40/R51 strong point, but for under $700 you are done.

Also the 550 is powered ready to go out of the factory, so no issues with chipping and worrying about warranty.

I know everybody ravs about the BT, and as much as i think they are not a bad ute, shame they look like a dogs breakfast, 550nm is soooo good to have under your foot :):rockon::rockon:

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Great engine, but from what i understand, the Navara / Pathfinder require a fair bit of suspension upgrade and underbody protection if you're going to do outback touring or offroad work. Makes an expensive truck more so.

Put a Steinbauer chip and 3" exhaust on a a BT50 / Ranger for less than $3k, that'd be good for a easy 20% increase, so the 147 kw heads to approx 175kw and torque form 470nm to approx 560nm. That'd do me!

Mind you, add the same to a Navara / Pathie and you're looking at 200kw and 650nm...200 series TDV8 territory in a lighter vehicle!

Also you can buy an STX with the v6 for about $46000 this month...

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I know everybody ravs about the BT, and as much as i think they are not a bad ute, shame they look like a dogs breakfast, 550nm is soooo good to have under your foot :):rockon::rockon:
Perfect reason to get the Ranger. Same vehicle as the BT, but I don't hear anywhere near the amount of chat about it....
Both designed by the Ford Australia Engineering team. Both built side by side on the same production line in Thailand. One is butt ugly...

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Maybe.............but the other shape is dated :behindsofa:

If you look closely at any new vehicle shape of the next generation of cars they all look similar Prado,200 series BT etc etc all have the sweeping back headlight indicator combo

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham

If you look closely at any new vehicle shape of the next generation of cars they all look similar Prado,200 series BT etc etc all have the sweeping back headlight indicator combo
Agreed about the headlamps, but its that smiling face bumper grill that realy turns me off. ARB must have been jumping fpr joy when they first saw that! I mean even the original TV adds had bullbars fitted to all BTs.....:whoo:

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield

but that does not mean its pretty! BT with the ARB bar looks great but i cant get past the ass end. i dont know why a number of the new AU market DC's have gone to that kind of design, i prefer the US styles trucks with a fatter square look, would love the power too! There is a good article on the toyota tundra in this months 4x4 Austraila, smokin looks and power to burn, i will have to stick with my new STX V6 as the Tundra price into AU is well over 100K and then you have to fuel the monster!!
With all things in life each to their own!
Cheers

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Why? Is that because a new model must be due? They seem to have been around for ages.

Not as far as i could see, just a clear of the 12 plated, i did not see them that cheap whemn looking around $49K down from $59 was the best i could find, got tow, mats, HL protectors, mats, bonnet protectors and weather visers too so happy with the deal

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Mazda is ugly, Ranger is awesome looks like a tough truck, Navara is awesome and I think a bit over priced. 2 blokes from work just bought them and for $65,000 and $70,000 that they paid for them I think there a bit over priced for a dual cab ute and yes that's with a couple of extras but nothing over board. And I would never tow anything like a van with anything with standard suspension. All standard suspension is crap as far as I'm concerned. And I've yet to sit in the back of a dual cab and be comfortable. So for me ill stick to my patrol, like I said in a earlier post it's not the fastest thing out there but I'm not racing anyone to get there.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Mazda is ugly, Ranger is awesome looks like a tough truck, Navara is awesome and I think a bit over priced. 2 blokes from work just bought them and for $65,000 and $70,000 that they paid for them I think there a bit over priced for a dual cab ute and yes that's with a couple of extras but nothing over board. And I would never tow anything like a van with anything with standard suspension. All standard suspension is crap as far as I'm concerned. And I've yet to sit in the back of a dual cab and be comfortable. So for me ill stick to my patrol, like I said in a earlier post it's not the fastest thing out there but I'm not racing anyone to get there.

correct chooky, mine will drive 4 km's to my mechanic and have a full set of EFS suspension fitted, ARB bar, brush and side steps, winch moved from the Patrol and also the HID spots, canopy Friday and underbody week after next! no mucking around here!!!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I knew it wouldn't take long :drum: Thanks :bounce:

It would be pretty boring if everyone drove around in the same vehicles with the same vans on the back.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Yep, wrong as far as I understand. Nissan has a part time 4wd system however the transfer case has soem electronic trickery in it that allows for 'auto mode' which send power to the front diff it there is slip in the rear. That might be better than simpler part time 4wd systems, but it isn't a centre diff like Land Rover & Range Rover / Landcruiser & Prado / Mitsubishi's super select system (24wd, constanrt 4wd, 4wd (centre diff locked) and low range 4wd.
Wrong again.:mod:

The D40 only has 2wd, 4wd and low. It doesnt have the on demand system fitted in any of the D40 range. The Pathy has the on demand auto system not D40...

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Looks like Nissan are joining the smiley face club!!

Nissan_Resonance_large2.jpg

Geoff:croc: