is the 3.0 ltr patrol any good for towing expanda

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Put Simply.... I towed with a 2005 Patrol for 5 Years all over Aus..... I now have an NT Pajero & have never looked back. More power, More comfort, Better fuel economy, Better handling.........
Horses for courses...... Patrols a great car but I wouldn't tow with one ever again after owning a Pajero.. Nuf Said ....

Paul

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
TO add some fire, I dragged off from the lights (I dont want to hear from the fun nazis either) a GU C/R 3.0L Patrol NOT towing with our Pathy TOWING our Panda and although i didnt leave him for dead , i still got him with about 3 or 4 car lengths up to 100ks. He was not happy.

Different car weights, different gearing, different power curve...............good win :tongue:

Pajero 441nm 184 kw 3.2lt
Pathy 450nm 140kw 2.5lt unless its a 3.0lt that different again :thumb:

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Different car weights, different gearing, different power curve...............good win :tongue:

Pajero 441nm 184 kw 3.2lt
Pathy 450nm 140kw 2.5lt unless its a 3.0lt that different again :thumb:

Very true, but it shows the power of the Pathy especially for towing over the Patrol.

Torque is what matters for towing, not so much power, this is where the Patrol lacks. Only 350nm in the auto. It simply cant cut it when it has to move its own weight and towing. The Pathy has 100nm more, and the V6 200nm more. Soo much better tow vehicles than Patrol...

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Ok then nissan aust lied to me ? the power output figures do not seem right for a turbo intercooled 4.2 might be detuned for that market . Will have to look into that one , i was after a crate motor last year told no go nissan do not make them any more , go figure that one

The last 2 crate motors Nissan imported where bought by Perth 4wd wreckers. They had them early this year, not sure if they still have them.

Not sure about the power figures on the Sth Africa ones. Could be de tuned. Although the 4.2 isnt that fancy in the power outputs anyway. It just does it at a very low RPM as opposed to the latest C/R high reving diesels.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Ok then nissan aust lied to me ? the power output figures do not seem right for a turbo intercooled 4.2 might be detuned for that market . Will have to look into that one , i was after a crate motor last year told no go nissan do not make them any more , go figure that one

Hi SP, you could go the big Duramax diesel, i was quoted $10k to plonk one in my 09GU

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Yeh I would have one to, I have a GQ 4.2 turbo diesel aswell as our GU 3.0l and that engine in my GU would be great. Can't even put a 4.2 in my GU because its made after a certain date so it still has to meet certain emissions with whatever engine is in it.
Thats why i have signed for the V6 Narara! have had Patrols for years but just cant tow with it now and the fuel cost.... WOW huge

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
I've had a 2008 3.0 Auto and a 2010 4.8 Petrol auto, the diesel did an OK job but was pretty gutless up hills, I was towing a 16.49OB at the time. The 4.8 was fantastic but towing the 17.56.2OB I'd get 350-400 if lucky out of a 95ltr tank. $$$ But I would sit on 100 on the highway
Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel has the best balance, smaller frame but not much lighter and pulls 3500kg in auto form.
Have now bought a 2010 78series wagon with the 4.5 V8TD, this things pulls like a train but at the expense of creature comforts, it's more of a truck.

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
Recently we had 16 days at a van park in Airlie Beach. My Dragon and I walked the whole park every afternoon about 5:30pm with an armfull of coldies to check out all the Rigs. Wow there is some trick new gear out there now!

In the whole time we were there I counted just 4 Patrols. 2 were towing camper trailers, 1 had about an 8" lift and 40" mud tyres camping beside us in a tent and the other was staying in the cabins. This has to say something about 3.0L Patrols as tow vehicles?

I lost count of the number of Prados and Pajeros. There was a hefty number of LC200s and also new Rangers / BT50s. The biggest surprise for me was the number of New Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD's. Having said that, I can understand why - I nearly bought one when I bought the Prado. They have 170KW and 550NM, so on paper, they are a towing machine and you can pick up the mid range for just over $50k. Eventually, the re-sale, the better offroad ability and the fixed price servicing of the Prado won me. Had I not been heading offroad and simply wanted a tow vehicle, bang for buck I think the Grand Cherokee is hard to beat!

My 2c.

We bought our first camper trailer in 2006, it weighed 1200kg. At the time we had a 2001 Non Turbo 3.0L Hilux. It did the job, not well, but we got by. In 2007 we bought a 3.0L ST GU 5 Patrol Manual. We thought it was a rocketship (compared to the Hilux) and offroad it really was awesome (to be honest, probably the best 4x4 I have owned to date) and it towed the camper OK, but I always reckoned that anything bigger and it would struggle. Then in 2008, we bought a 17 foot Supreme poptop Caravan weighing in at 1850kg. The Patrol handled it OK but talk about suck the diesel!! It also used to die back significantly (85kph) on moderate hills. So in 2010 we went back to a ute in the form of an MN Triton 2.5L GLXR Manual. This towed the van well. Hills that the Patrol dropped to 85kph on, the Triton cruised over at 100kph, still liked the Diesel, but had much more power for towing. Not anywhere near the Patrol (even once modded) offroad, but towing it was great. Then the Dragon decided she wanted the bigger van. Enter our current 2.4 Tonne Expanda 18 57 6 OB. Now we were back to dying on hills and the Triton was using 21L per 100k! I could not get from Rocky to Mackay (330k) on a 75L tank, I had to fill up at the big BP about 15k south of Mackay. My next door neighbour (71 years old) has Prados and Caravanning in his blood and kept into me about buying a Prado. On paper the Triton has more power and should be a better tow vehicle, and I stuck by this for ages. Anyway, the Triton developed a few problems (like back to the dealer 28 times in 2 years) so we sold it and bought the Prado Auto. I was immediately amazed at the difference. I just set the cruise on 100kph and there it stays, over hills whatever. There are a few hills just north of here where the Triton used to get down to 85kph and the Prado drops to about 97kph - plus I am now getting 16.5L per 100k and I am comfortable again. So I am happy? Yep! They are dearer than some direct competitors but IMHO they are worth it - and I have found out, the hard way at times, in life you generally get what you pay for.

I am sure the Pajero is great as well, especially given all the positive reviews it receives - however I have never driven one and after my personal experience with the company I will NEVER own another Mitsubishi as long as I live, so I cannot comment.

Bottom line, from experience, would I ever tow anything weighing in excess of 1500kg again with a 3.0L Patrol? NO.

Is the Prado perfect? NO. But it will do until I can afford an LC200 V8TD. :wink:

PS - The brand new Patrol looks interesting though.............

Reactions: Holden_man

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Also surprised to see couple of new Jeep GC's at sites adjoining my regular camping spot this year. One changed from V10 VW. The other was an upgrade from old HiLux ute. Plus couple nice new Bt-50's and a tricked up F250 dually not far away. Some folks obviously had a better year than others!

Moxley23

Feb 10, 2013
ACT
I had a Toyota aurion towing a Swan. It was brilliant speed wise, but overall unsafe being front wheel drive going up and down hills, especially until I got a weight distribution hitch. On the flat, no worries. I then upgraded to a Pathfinder (450nm). Probably slower than the aurion, but 10 times safer and more fuel efficient I've been thinking about selling it to get a cheaper vehicle in the form of a patrol which would be more offload capable. I took one for a test drive and realised why the Pathy was invented. I realised then it wouldn't be an easy choice to sell the Pathy for a patrol. We then went and tried out a track shak camper trailer and realised it wasn't going to cut the mustard with two little kids. Within a week we decided to get an Expanda, now on order. As a result, I've ruled the Patrol out.

The Pathy will do a great job, I'd be downgrading to get a Patrol to tow an Expanda - even if only 1.8-9T. I've had a good experience with Nissan, so would consider a Navara as an option. Otherwise BT-50 or Ranger. For me a switch to Prado, Pajero, Grand Cherokee would be a sideways move - especially taking into account the cost to make such a move. A ute wouldn't necessarily be a bad option with the higher GVM and functionality.

My two bobs worth.

Moxley23

Feb 10, 2013
ACT
Only thing I'm thinking about doing if I don't switch to a ute is upgrading the exhaust. No doubt that would help with any stock car, including a Patrol.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Possibly time for me to throw in now. I have been watching this thread with interest. We are members of a caravan club, quite a few of the other members have 3.0 patrols, all bar one have had very excessive repair bills, read here $7000+ for injector and head repairs. Personally that is enough to turn me off owning one, particularily since the life of motors pre-repairs has been spread from 100k to 220k, so really they are a time bomb waiting to go off.

Depending on how far, or hard core you are planning on going with your 4wd, I would search around for another option, most of which are pretty good. My personal preference is for Toyota's, however, that is purely my preference, the Ranger and BT50 are also good options, if a ute is on the cards. The Pajero is a far better option than a Triton if you look at the Mitsubishi Stable.

Really it is horses for courses, there is plent out there to look at.:juggle:

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers

Cracka

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2012 CRD. It is an awesome tow vehicle and happily tows my Expanda 16.49-1 with ease. I'm getting fantastic fuel economy around town, of 8.5l/100kms, and towing the Expanda from Merimbula to Canberra going up the Brown Mountain, fully loaded, with four adults in the car, it returned 12l/100kms. I'm very happy. For a car that offers the 3500kg towing capacity and comparing similar vehicles with the same towing capacity that cost so much more, the Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD is the answer. It pulls like a train..... 177kw and 550nm. The diesel in the Jeep is actually quicker from 0-100kms than the 5.7 litre V8 also available, and more fuel efficient. "I bought a Jeep!!"

Mine has almost 24,000kms on it and drives beautifully. I've not had a single problem with it. Great car.