is the 3.0 ltr patrol any good for towing expanda

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I know this may open up a can of worms with the Toyota,Mazda,ford,Mitsubishi & Nissan owners. I want to get out of my old 3.4 prado and into a diesel and I dont want a ute and a new Prado is way overpriced.Nissan have some very good deals on the 2012 models with new auto vehicles going $47000 drive away with tow bar tint etc (a friend at work got one last weekend.) Thats about my max limit for $$$ seeing I only just got the new expanda 4mth ago.
I only have a 14.44.4 now but may go up to a 17 in a few years. I know all about brochure towing figures but I would like to know from owners what they are really like.
I used to have a tdi Discovery and their brochure stated 3500 towing capacity.But in the real world they would struggle with the old Jayco Dove.
So any honest feedback would be great.
Cheers

Hey JD sorry if I have dragged this OT, but why don't you ask your mate if you can try his Patrol and test it out as a Tug. I stand by my statement if your thinking of a 17' but as others have said it don't worry them. For me it's not about racing anywhere but also like to be able to maintain the speed limit and that also means up big hills, like Ousley, snow ridge line or the steep one outta Batemans Bay. As Cruza said the Paj is another option although coming from a Petrol Prado you may think somebody has put ball bearings in a tin can and is rattling them in your head, but you get used to it and they have a great stereo :)

The other option maybe a another a petrol Prado, I hear they get great consumption and they would do deals on them. If you are keeping a long time the poor petrol resale is not an issue. Again I am going to get shot, or called a speeding redneck but the Prado diesel I think lacks a bit of punch as well. Of course with any of the diesels you can chip them and with some they may not explode, good luck.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Quoting 0-100km is hardly anything to judge a 4wd by... Those 7-8 seconds in a 3 hour trip are hardly goinv to make a difference. I don't believe in bagging a car you haven't experienced driving. I can pull away from cars in our 1.5l Mazda too does that make all those other cars hopeless???? Of course not!

Your comment was that you pulled away from your friends 2001 patrol towing a light weight trailer while you were towing a your 16. I can assure you from personal experience that when I towed out 1400kg van I did not lose speed on hills and were travelling at the speed limit. You gave the impression that your friends patrol lost speed as you pulled away from it. Given that a normal trailer is rated to 750kg it seems odd for a patrol to lose speed going up a hill with that behind. I didn't personally tow the 17 but asked my husband if he deemed our patrol as an adequate towing vehicle for the 17 and he replied 'without a doubt'

I'm not doubting the capabilities of the Pajero. I haven't driven one to make such comments. Likewise you haven't driven a patrol.

Didexceed - excellent post.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Jeep for me guys.
My father has one of those and man does that thing pull a van no worries at all.
For me it has nothing to do with how fast you get to some destination. But I do like the way my fathers jeep has the ability and power to do things I cannot. Get out into traffic for instance or overtake in much shorter safer distances.
Yes to Patrol being a great 4wd and I used to be part of a lot of 4wd comps that saw our old Patrol set up in a manner that would be less than desirable for pulling a van. I guess I could have set the Patrol up differently for towing but I think the cars best attributes would be lost if all I used the Patrol for was for towing a van.
As for the pathie I use for the van, sounds like it pulls very similar to the Patrol. But I will live with it for a few more years.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
:focus: please.....

Yes I mentioned Pajero's as another option because I have had experience with one. I have also had experience with a number different 4wd's, from swb's,dual cabs and 4wd wagons might as well try them all and different makes too.:smile:

Yes and Patrols. My Brother and Dad both currently have 3.0lt Patrols and one is a GU4 with 220,000 faultless km which has done countless outback and High Country trips including a variety of different towing duties of different camper trailers. The last before the CRD.

The other a GU5 the first of the CRD's. This one also has over 200,000km it tows a Retreat offroad raised caravan and has also done the big trips. And sometimes with a rooftop tent too (no Van).This one has had issues PM me JD if you like for details but the problems have been in the higher k's.

Both are manuals on original clutches, have roof racks,draws,bullbars and winches,dual batts etc they are both set up almost identical. They are both serviced to the km and both have been owned from new. None have exhaust or chip mods done.

As I mentioned earlier, let us know what you decide.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Quoting 0-100km is hardly anything to judge a 4wd by... Those 7-8 seconds in a 3 hour trip are hardly goinv to make a difference. I don't believe in bagging a car you haven't experienced driving. I can pull away from cars in our 1.5l Mazda too does that make all those other cars hopeless???? Of course not!

Your comment was that you pulled away from your friends 2001 patrol towing a light weight trailer while you were towing a your 16. I can assure you from personal experience that when I towed out 1400kg van I did not lose speed on hills and were travelling at the speed limit. You gave the impression that your friends patrol lost speed as you pulled away from it. Given that a normal trailer is rated to 750kg it seems odd for a patrol to lose speed going up a hill with that behind. I didn't personally tow the 17 but asked my husband if he deemed our patrol as an adequate towing vehicle for the 17 and he replied 'without a doubt'

I'm not doubting the capabilities of the Pajero. I haven't driven one to make such comments. Likewise you haven't driven a patrol.

Didexceed - excellent post.

Andrea I am bowing out because I am reminded of a very old saying regarding arguments. But just to be clear.
I quoted acceleration times in regard to power and torque, nothing about trip times

I never said I haven’t driven a 3l Patrol, you said
Have you had one Jim? ………..
I said
Nope ……………..
and I haven’t owned a 3L Patrol
I said
The Pajero with 16:49-3 attached out accelerated it up a climb, they only had a lightly laden box trailer attached.
you say
You gave the impression that your friends patrol lost speed as you pulled away from it.
The OP asked
………So any honest feedback would be great.…

Obviously my feedback wasnt sanitised enough for some, like most things today we need to tread carefully and watch our words. So am happy to edit my original post.

Personally think a Patrol 3l is a little underpowered to pull a 17ft van, but that’s just my opinion and I wouldn’t want anyone hurt by my opinion.

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
I sure opened up a can of worms when I started this topic.

Just a update, I wanted to get out of a petrol vehicle (Prado with lpg and a fantastic vehicle) and into a diesel mainly for better towing and fuel range when touring. I was interested in the Patrol mostly due to the current pricing (my current limit).

I did get one for a test drive and I must say was a little disapointed with it. mostly lack of power ,very plain interior finish and on road handling and in the end the main reason was a dealer that couldn't be botherd to give me the time of day or even try to negotiate in any way as he was too busy catching up on paper work, this was after he had emailed and called me at work and arranged for me to come after work.Which I did.

The deals finished on the end of the month and I didn't have time to get down to brisbane dealers who you can do better deals with. So in the meantime I'll keep the prado and keep a look out for more deals as I'm sure there is no big financial boom coming and dealers will get hungy again.
Thanks everyone for their input and I hope everyone is still friends.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks for the update jd, its good to hear your feedback on the Patrol.

Have you maybe considered a 2nd hand T/D Prado ? Just a thought although the towing limit is 2500kg I'm not sure if this affects your requirements.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Having towed with and owned 2 3.0l Patrols i ca tell you they are an awesome truck but hopeless for towing.

I haven't towed an expanda, only an eagle. It lacked the balls even to pull that. On the flat it was fine, but hit a hill and it was like flogging a dead horse. And no there was nothing wrong with mine as I am sure some one will say. It was even chipped.

If you are going with Nissan go the Pathy if you dont want a ute. You will get one cheaper than a Patrol with the current programs. The Pathy has a $4000 retail bonus as well as the normal margin and profit in the dealer charges. You should be able to get about 8-9 k off a Pathy ST, STL, TI and a Ti550.

Our pathy pulls our Panda with ease and will sit at 110 all day long, even on a hill.

The power and torque is more than Paj, Playdo and Challenger.

The 5 speed box kills the 4 speed they use in the ark and the Patrol.

I would go an auto as the manuals have a flat spot on take off and although the latest clutches are a lot better than the older ones they are still a week point, as in most of the current crop of t/d utes and wagons.

The only advantage the Patrol has over the Pathy is off road, apart from that it is a Superior vehicle.

This is all based on actual experience not my cousins, neighbors, best friends mate...
Hope this helps.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Andrea I am bowing out because I am reminded of a very old saying regarding arguments. But just to be clear.
I quoted acceleration times in regard to power and torque, nothing about trip times

I never said I haven’t driven a 3l Patrol, you said
I said and I haven’t owned a 3L Patrol
I said
you say
The OP asked

Obviously my feedback wasnt sanitised enough for some, like most things today we need to tread carefully and watch our words. So am happy to edit my original post.

TO add some fire, I dragged off from the lights (I dont want to hear from the fun nazis either) a GU C/R 3.0L Patrol NOT towing with our Pathy TOWING our Panda and although i didnt leave him for dead , i still got him with about 3 or 4 car lengths up to 100ks. He was not happy.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I love our platinum Pajero, tows our close to 2.5T rig no worries and great up hills, I can also pass a D4D towing a lighter load than me uphill. The warranty was another factor also, 5 years on drive line and 10 for everything else, I haven't driven a patrol though!

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Maybe someone can enlighten me here, seems I remember when the new shape Patrol first came out(and I'm talking years ago now) they were made with a 4.2L Intercooled TD, (this is prior to the intro of the 3.0L TD), what ever happened to those motors as they were fantastic? I have a work aquaintance who has one and he swears by it. Surely Nissan made a mistake when they stopped production of them. Any comments.

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
They still have them overseas but they don't meet our emissions so they can't bring out in a new car over here anymore.

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Yeh I would have one to, I have a GQ 4.2 turbo diesel aswell as our GU 3.0l and that engine in my GU would be great. Can't even put a 4.2 in my GU because its made after a certain date so it still has to meet certain emissions with whatever engine is in it.

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
They still have them overseas but they don't meet our emissions so they can't bring out in a new car over here anymore.
nissan 4.2 td will not meet any emissions guidlines anywhere , but mostly europe there laws regarding emmisions are super tough , nissan DO NOT MAKE THIS MOTOR ANYMORE , sorry