is the 3.0 ltr patrol any good for towing expanda

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
I know this may open up a can of worms with the Toyota,Mazda,ford,Mitsubishi & Nissan owners. I want to get out of my old 3.4 prado and into a diesel and I dont want a ute and a new Prado is way overpriced.Nissan have some very good deals on the 2012 models with new auto vehicles going $47000 drive away with tow bar tint etc (a friend at work got one last weekend.) Thats about my max limit for $$$ seeing I only just got the new expanda 4mth ago.
I only have a 14.44.4 now but may go up to a 17 in a few years. I know all about brochure towing figures but I would like to know from owners what they are really like.
I used to have a tdi Discovery and their brochure stated 3500 towing capacity.But in the real world they would struggle with the old Jayco Dove.
So any honest feedback would be great.
Cheers

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
We had a 2004 Nissan patrol when we first got the 17.56-2. We loved it. Towed no worries at all. Did sit better with the wdh. Only reason we sold it was it hit 200k km and we wanted a ute. We use to get around 16l/100

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
I know this may open up a can of worms with the Toyota,Mazda,ford,Mitsubishi & Nissan owners. I want to get out of my old 3.4 prado and into a diesel and I dont want a ute and a new Prado is way overpriced.Nissan have some very good deals on the 2012 models with new auto vehicles going $47000 drive away with tow bar tint etc (a friend at work got one last weekend.) Thats about my max limit for $$$ seeing I only just got the new expanda 4mth ago.
I only have a 14.44.4 now but may go up to a 17 in a few years. I know all about brochure towing figures but I would like to know from owners what they are really like.
I used to have a tdi Discovery and their brochure stated 3500 towing capacity.But in the real world they would struggle with the old Jayco Dove.
So any honest feedback would be great.
Cheers

Hi jdove

We have a NT Pajero auto turbo diesel and have just done our first trip away which was a 2 hour drive with a 17.56-2OB and found it towed well.
It averaged 17.6ltr on the trip down(with 1.5 full tanks of water) with the a/c most of the way and 16.4ltr on the trip home, all this according to the trip meter on the dash. We also use a WDH with standard suspension which will be upgraded in time. Very happy with the car average fuel running around town 11ltr/100.
Again have not calculated it fully just going on trip computer. Comfortable to drive around town, the boss felt the patrol felt a bit big for her as she is the main
driver of the car. A few things to consider as you are aware are the towing capabilities ie - max ball weight and maximum braked towing capacity. Our van weight fits the within the Pajero's capacities (212kg ball wight and an ATM of 2378kg). Everybody has their opinions on what is the best car for towing but apart from test driving a few different types and making sure that they can tow what you own now and what you may buy in future, have a look at few different forums and speak to some mechanics and see what they say. No one really had a bad thing to say about the Pajero's when i was looking around and they are also a similar size to the Prado you currently own. The Paj has an 88 ltr fuel tank which some say is a little small, but so far so good for us. We also found the
Paj had a few more options standard than the Patrol did, ie - cruise control, steering wheel mounted audio controls, again just a personal preference. Patrols are well know for their tough as nails drive line. For better value for money maybe look at up a 12 month old 4wd that may already have some extra accesories fitted and still have some of the new car warranty. So far would have no hesitation in recommending the Paj as a suitable tow vehicle. Sorry for the long winded answer but hope it may help.

Cheers
greynt

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
A mate has just bought a brand new 3.0L diesel Patrol auto, towing an off road Goldstream camper. The parol has a tow capacity of 3500Kg, ball weight I am not sure but at least 250Kg. He is delighted with towing the camper, reckons he hardly knows it is on and returns around 12-13 l/100 while towing and around 8 l/100 without.

I love my Navara but I think the Patrol beats it hands down for options.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Personally think a Patrol 3l is too gutless to pull a 17ft van, but that's also me, I dont like holding anybody up hills or not.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Have you had one Jim? We never had an issue towing our 17' but we had a manual so not sure if that makes a difference.... I will say the bt-50 is better.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Have you had one Jim? We never had an issue towing our 17' but we had a manual so not sure if that makes a difference.... I will say the bt-50 is better.

Nope had a mate with a std 2001 manual. The Pajero with 16:49-3 attached out accelerated it up a climb, they only had a lightly laden box trailer attached.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Hi all, let me give my opinion here...
I have had a number of Patrols and have always loved them even have the number plate P47ROL, i am currently in a 2009 3lt with tune it chip, redback exhaust and fuel rail mods to try and pull out some extra ponies. I have alot of accessories also that add to the weight, from a stability and safety stanpoint you wont get better, there is not push pull around of the Patrol by the weight of the van, very stable and safe.
From a power and tow perspective its just not great, although they are rated at 2500 as the capacity i feel thats from an ability to handle the weight on the back rather than how well it moves from a speed and fuel efficency perspective.
I have towd the 16.49.4 up the Oodnadatta and all over the place but its slow going, very slow at times, i came back from Eden on Sunday and on some of the long hills that are noty that steep but have length i slow to 55-60 kph in 3rd gear revving at 4000ish rpm, it wants to kick to second but that just revs is nuts off, goes nowhere and places huge stress on a moter that is known to be temperamental and blow up! that pressure to tow increases the exhaust gas way to hot and the ECU trips out and it stalls at whatever speed your doing which is clearly no fun...
I had a shim put in the fuel rail to stop that but its a risk to the motor letting it work that hard. My fuel econemy was around 24-26 which is really bad, around town its 13-16 even thats fairly crap, cost a bomb in fuel.
I have spopken to many Patrol specilists, had it on the dyno, considered replacing the chip with the Stienbaurer one but at the end of the day there is only so much you can do to get more power and that always means compromise and risk to the engine...
After much heartache i signed for a STX Navara with a V6 diesel yesterday 170 KW 550 NMT, nothing more powewrful (x V8) The Nissan deals are massive at the minute, i crunched them down to $48,500 with mats, headlight and bonnet protector, window weathershields and tow pack, list price is normally $60,000.
i want to spend more time away and i just dont feel the patrol with the very old school antiquated engine can cut the mustard moving forwards, sad day as i love the live front and rear and the weight and bushability of the Patrol for our 4x4 trips but towing more that 1.2-1.5 Tonne is just terrible and cost a fortune in fuel.
All that said i have an awesome Patrol for sale!!!!!
Cheers and good luck!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I'd say there was something wrong with their car then....

And you base that on? Have you driven a Pajero? I go through this every time somebody try's to defend the Patrols honor!

Pajero NT 0-100km 11.3 or 11.5 secs.

Patrol 3 l can't recall but it's west of 18 secs.

The Patrol 3l has a very ordinary torque curve especially for towing it has holes. Might look alright on paper but in practice well you got a caravan, how many 3l Patrols do you see around as tugs anymore??? Nothing scientific but they are in the minority as tugs compared with Cruisers, Prados and Pajeros and BT50s. I even think there's more Pathfinders towing vans the Patrols now.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi all, let me give my opinion here...
I have had a number of Patrols and have always loved them even have the number plate P47ROL, i am currently in a 2009 3lt with tune it chip, redback exhaust and fuel rail mods to try and pull out some extra ponies. I have alot of accessories also that add to the weight, from a stability and safety stanpoint you wont get better, there is not push pull around of the Patrol by the weight of the van, very stable and safe.
From a power and tow perspective its just not great, although they are rated at 2500 as the capacity i feel thats from an ability to handle the weight on the back rather than how well it moves from a speed and fuel efficency perspective.
I have towd the 16.49.4 up the Oodnadatta and all over the place but its slow going, very slow at times, i came back from Eden on Sunday and on some of the long hills that are noty that steep but have length i slow to 55-60 kph in 3rd gear revving at 4000ish rpm, it wants to kick to second but that just revs is nuts off, goes nowhere and places huge stress on a moter that is known to be temperamental and blow up! that pressure to tow increases the exhaust gas way to hot and the ECU trips out and it stalls at whatever speed your doing which is clearly no fun...
I had a shim put in the fuel rail to stop that but its a risk to the motor letting it work that hard. My fuel econemy was around 24-26 which is really bad, around town its 13-16 even thats fairly crap, cost a bomb in fuel.
I have spopken to many Patrol specilists, had it on the dyno, considered replacing the chip with the Stienbaurer one but at the end of the day there is only so much you can do to get more power and that always means compromise and risk to the engine...
After much heartache i signed for a STX Navara with a V6 diesel yesterday 170 KW 550 NMT, nothing more powewrful (x V8) The Nissan deals are massive at the minute, i crunched them down to $48,500 with mats, headlight and bonnet protector, window weathershields and tow pack, list price is normally $60,000.
i want to spend more time away and i just dont feel the patrol with the very old school antiquated engine can cut the mustard moving forwards, sad day as i love the live front and rear and the weight and bushability of the Patrol for our 4x4 trips but towing more that 1.2-1.5 Tonne is just terrible and cost a fortune in fuel.
All that said i have an awesome Patrol for sale!!!!!
Cheers and good luck!

Hey Leesy good post mate and it sums the 3l Patrol up pretty well, they are just one good engine away from being a great vehicle for the 4x4 touring. Good luck with the Navara, good to hear Nissan are doing deals must be sick of having there ass's wiped by the BT50,s? Only need them to start honouring warranty and they may be a great company again :fencing:

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
And you base that on? Have you driven a Pajero? I go through this every time somebody try's to defend the Patrols honor!

Pajero NT 0-100km 11.3 or 11.5 secs.

Patrol 3 l can't recall but it's west of 18 secs.

The Patrol 3l has a very ordinary torque curve especially for towing it has holes. Might look alright on paper but in practice well you got a caravan, how many 3l Patrols do you see around as tugs anymore??? Nothing scientific but they are in the minority as tugs compared with Cruisers, Prados and Pajeros and BT50s. I even think there's more Pathfinders towing vans the Patrols now.

agree jim, if only they put the V6 in the Y series patrols, they would sell heaps of them, me for one!!!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Good and bad news Leesy, I and a few other members on here know exactly how hard a decision it can be to move away from a live axle and into a dualcab.

OK :focus: as achjimmy mentioned maybe have a drive of a Pajero we love ours and the power range is very broad. As a daily driver too the drive more car like if thats what your after. There is some good deals when they have the ''Platinum'' or Activ'' deals with plenty of extras too. There is actually a few Pajero's on here and they all tow a different variety of Expandas.

Good luck with your decsion and maybe take some for a drive if you haven't already and let us know what you decide :thumb:

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Good and bad news Leesy, I and a few other members on here know exactly how hard a decision it can be to move away from a live axle and into a dualcab.

OK :focus: as achjimmy mentioned maybe have a drive of a Pajero we love ours and the power range is very broad. As a daily driver too the drive more car like if thats what your after. There is some good deals when they have the ''Platinum'' or Activ'' deals with plenty of extras too. There is actually a few Pajero's on here and they all tow a different variety of Expandas.

Good luck with your decsion and maybe take some for a drive if you haven't already and let us know what you decide :thumb:

Cheers Cruza, as you would know the size and weight of a big live axel in the bush is hard to beat but life is about compromise and the Navara with the gear on it will do ok im sure!
Cheers

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane

I just drove the thing for 8 years. Even towed our old van 800 km by myself. Never felt I was going to stop on the hills or anything. Before the van we had a camper trailer and again had no issues... We've seen plenty of patrols as tugs. Infact my parents who were touring australia had the specific task of investigating this before we bought the panda (and the size van they towed). Again we had the manual which has higher rating tow capacity. My dad has a 2009 auto ranger and our manual patrol towed better.

I haven't driven a Pajero, don't plan too but the original poster was asking about 3l patrols and I'm just sharing my experience and I will again mention that we had the manual.

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Mate of mine tows a 3.5 tonne boat with a standard 2006 patrol and I tow with one aswell with no issues. Will sh!% all over most other 4wds on the track also. Not the most powerful thing on the road but at the end of the day your on holidays not in a race to get somewhere and I still see sh!% loads towing vans everywhere.

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
Every vehicle has its place, some do multiple things well but not excellent, others are excelent in areas and poor in others. If i wanted a vehicle to be used offroad on rough tracks i'd buy something live axle (which the patrol is excelent in this regard)
Late CR patrols are pretty good mechanically although wont get you anywhere in a great hurry, and the 4sp auto is dated, being a proper ladderframe coil sprung truck they handle the bumps well.
I dont care what pajero anyone owns 2000on, they just arent as good in the bush and the monoque chassis lets you know every bump and the road noise is higher, mechanically there almost bulletproof apart from auto transmissions from 2000-2008 which are known for lubrication issues and early planet set failures, nt/nw have a revised transmission that no longer has this problem, i like you just dont like utes so thats was never an option for me and like you prados are to damn expensive, and i could start on pathfinders but they have pros and cons like the rest, unfortunatly unless you have 100k to buy a 200 series (which still isnt perfect (ifs/soft suspension) there unfortunatly is no such thing as an allrounder and all cars have issues, i cant think of one new car that doesnt have common faults.

Drive what you think you might like, and buy what you like the most.

And remember for every good experience with a particular vehicle you hear about, there will be 10 bad ones and most are about their mates girfriends brothers stepmothers exhusbands fathers car.
The wheel that squeeks the loudest gets heard.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I just drove the thing for 8 years. Even towed our old van 800 km by myself. Never felt I was going to stop on the hills or anything. Before the van we had a camper trailer and again had no issues... We've seen plenty of patrols as tugs. Infact my parents who were touring australia had the specific task of investigating this before we bought the panda (and the size van they towed). Again we had the manual which has higher rating tow capacity. My dad has a 2009 auto ranger and our manual patrol towed better.

I haven't driven a Pajero, don't plan too but the original poster was asking about 3l patrols and I'm just sharing my experience and I will again mention that we had the manual.

Andrea you obviously love(d) your Patrol so be it. You commented that the Patrol (a manual) must of had an issue because I passed it with a Pajero. I asked you how you come up with that assumption and showed you clear data that explains why I passed that Patrol that day!. You still havent given me a reply other to say you drove It and enjoyed it, great.

I am happy that heaps of people have them and happy with them. I am well aware of the offroad ability and other attributes, But as above it's not just me that thinks they aren't the best tugs out there, but as long as the owners are happy good luck to them.