Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Yep a hire vehicle, would have lost a big deposit.,.......................
.Mrs D had her day made today, been something like 30 yrs since she could take a pic like this...........
View attachment 47062

So she post's it on Facebook...,..........

Out of interest, from a fellow Collie owner, where exactly are you hooking onto? Do you have a couple of recovery points or are you using those other tie down points? Just interested, in case I get into a similar situation...

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
probably the recovery points on the bottom of the bull bar (maybe)

but I would hope they are proper recovery points - everything else is good - not a single line, but a bridal to spread the load

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well I used the 1.5t rated tow hooks, yeah I know........though these are better than some I have seen, I really have to get started on making some tow eyes.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Holden reckon they are tow hooks rated at 1.5 t not to be used for recovery so we just towed the Colorado, not snatched it.....................has made me committed to making up some new ones which won't break, made some for my Jeep but I was worried about the so called chassis holding together even though I used the same chassis mount points that they do............10mm plate onto 3mm recycled dog food can chassis, scary.

Still a bit of rain around up here.....................................

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Holden reckon they are tow hooks rated at 1.5 t not to be used for recovery so we just towed the Colorado, not snatched it.....................has made me committed to making up some new ones which won't break, made some for my Jeep but I was worried about the so called chassis holding together even though I used the same chassis mount points that they do............10mm plate onto 3mm recycled dog food can chassis, scary.

there is a guy I know of in Vic who makes them

John - Outback Ideas
outbackideas@gmail.com

I know he does Patrol ones, and I think Prado and 200 ones - not sure about the Collie............

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Found one place with the recovery points for $370 a pair and an ARB flyer with them at $235 each, a lot of money so I can be a nice bloke and pull Nissan's and Cruiser's out of the sand..............................might just buy some traks and a new shovel.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Might be worth checking the price of the tractor recovery unit?

;):D

I don't know what they charge these days for a pull up the cutting but, from memory years ago, it was about $120.

I reckon it'd be a lot more now....though they're probably retired from all the custom they've enjoyed in the past. I watched them tow about eight in one morning ...just like a production line. Most of them hadn't dropped the tyre pressure so the hill was a challenge too far.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hey thanks @Drover.

I may have misled you a bit....I do try....but I really used to do the bearings myself on the Aussie Swag many years ago. A few of us had the same model so we'd get the correct bearings, one had the tools and we had the space so we'd make a messy day of it!

Since then I've decided someone else can do the required maintenance as I don't have the tools and would rather leave it to someone with more mechanical knowhow than me.....not hard.

I now put whatever van we have into the caravan guys, get whatever needs doing done, get the whole unit checked properly so I'm confident it should be done correctly.

but you and many many others are good at that stuff, have loads of experience and know what you're doing.

Me, I'll concentrate on 12v and other minor stuff that I can handle and encourage the rest of you!

And that's been confirmed today as its taken me hours to get access to a carby on an old lawnmower to see if I can get it started....or toss it.

What a waste of time......did the spark plug, replaced the fuel, cleaned the air filter, tried to get the bolt out of the carby, didn't have the right tools, googled it and utubed it as I couldn't find the handbook. Now I stink of fuel, have a load of tools lying around and need to be put away.....and I still can't love the mower.

Out it goes! I need a life.
:brick:

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm handy and conversant with mechanical stuff mainly as I had money for fuel and beer but not for mechanics and sin e I always wanted to be a Ham radio buff but never the time I still played with radio's and other 12v stuff, as a highway traveller for a crust it also paid off when things fell apart.
I found that article on the bearings to be well written and have good info.............whether one can do the maintenance or not, carrying spare bearings and other parts is always a godsend for the good samaritan who can help you.........
..I have stopped to help and found they carry no spares not even coolant, oh we get it serviced at joe bloggs, unless it's dire I wont part with $40 worth of coolant and leave my spares box short, will call the local RACQ when I get in range.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Good advice.

I will now make sure I carry spare bearings, along with the coolant, extra water, oil, fuses, appropriate tools, duct tape, gas tape, thread tape, cable ties, spare 12v stuff, multimeter, an emergency tyre repair kit, compressor, and so forth. (My memory of what is usually there has faded as it's currently packed away in the shed)

Is there anything else....apart from the bearings which will be added...that I should reasonably add?

This is so you'll have everything you'll need when you stop to help me.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That about covers it all, I always carry a couple of copies of "Spanners for Dummies " and a phone book when called upon to render assistance...............but I always have room in my fridge for pressie's afterwards...........................................an old boss once asked me about my tool kit, I showed him how efficient mine was with only 2 items.......

bic.jpg phone.jpg.............I would sometimes have to drive a Scania so I could discard the phone.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Good morning all cockies going off at Sandy Hollow very good show this morning and the kookaburras earlier bacon and eggs this morning there are butcher birds here i hope i hear one there my favorite bird
The morning is loverly i wouldnt say crisp as its still a bit warm but nice to be in the bush Dubbo will be so hot today and tomoz will hit 45 easy the smell of the bush is very nice could just sit here and look at it all day ..... hats off to mother nature she does her job very well but she can stick her jumping ants where they dont jump
Sun comming into play here will heat up quick by the time we leave will be 30 odd allready stay cool and have a good day