Galvo's Jayco Outback 2014

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Hy guys thought I would start a thread on my own van and trips we do. Also thought I would introduce myself and family with a few pics.
So if your bored and desperate you can have a read so pull out the:popcorn: :)

Ok I have done a few posts already So will be a bit of repetition at the start.

Galvo
2014-07-12 17.16.23.jpg

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Ok Picked up the van about a month ago from Jayco Griffith dealt with Jason there who has been great no complaints whatsoever.
The reason I bought from NSW not WA was only due to it was available now after much research and also it had some of the extras we wanted and Jayco Griffith were happy to fit the other extras for me.
I drove over with the dog and all the don't be rude the wife could throw at me and then the wife and kids flew to Adelaide where after a couple of days in Griffith sorting the car and other bits I picked them up and we decided to head back during the Holidays.

We had crap weather the whole time but SA is really nice coastline is awesome and rubbish was inexistant!! having a bounty on bottles obviously works its magic here and it rubs off in other areas as well because there was very little other rubbish. Well Done SA.

Van tows Awesome I just have airbags on the car (Now) and seems to work well Dont think I will need the lifters.

On getting back to WA I had some issues with licensing and the brakes had ripped out due to being cable tied in to short and the chains were to small for the aggregate weight stamped on the vin plate. jayco sent me new plate very fast reducing the vin by 24kg and I rewired the brakes and protected with conduit.

2014-07-23 11.58.05 - Copy.jpg

2014-07-23 11.59.21.jpg

2014-07-31 11.27.58.jpg

2014-08-04 17.12.38.jpg

2014-08-04 17.12.48.jpg

2014-08-04 17.13.06.jpg

2014-08-04 17.13.15.jpg

Much happier now that white mud though going into Fowlers bay is like cement!

Also rewired the Drifter as was a bit average and rewired the water tanks and wrapped in conduit so all done now.
2014-07-31 13.55.07.jpg

2014-07-31 18.20.28.jpg

2014-08-01 11.04.20.jpg

Now its just into the mods as going to Warroorra Station End of Sept 2014

Reactions: skippy

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Ok got some more mods done. Extended the vans mudflaps as drains were covered in mud so that meant stones would hit them as well If doing serious roads like Gibb I would put foam around these for sure as well. Could also see stone damage starting under the back of van on the ply. I will paint this and other areas with stone chip rubber paint soon.
2014-08-07 14.10.57.jpg
2014-08-07 14.12.12.jpg

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Table now in place thanks to others on this forum. I stuffed up a bit as the angle was to wide when the hatch folded down DUH!!!!! cut it back to 30mm all good now Will probably paint the ali white later maybe ? When folding down for a quick overnight ai will need to slide the table out a bit as that still catches on the combing.
2014-08-07 14.11.42.jpg

Now I'm searching for the correct box or close to it for the front and need to remove the spare and mount on the back bar. Have a slightly different idea for this so will see how it pans out. These tables are on sale at Bunnings for $37 :bounce:I have some rubber seal strips behind it to protect the van.

Also want a good way of securing the van I just have tow hitch lock on it at the moment.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I love the table solution and have seen it a few times on here. When you mention you got the angle wrong @Stephen Galvin which angle are you referring to? How do you stop it sliding up and down? Is it just friction and the lid holding it in place?

I reckon I'll definitely do this mod, but still unsure as to hold the table in place and what protection is required. Hopefully someone at Beaufort has done it and I can have a squiz at theirs....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have angle on three sides with sticky back door seal on them to stop chaffing and use the same sort of strap that stephen used, stays in place even with the bed down.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Doing the same with my mudflaps but I added a bit of light channel on top to lower the original Jayco flaps. Will see how that goes, I have a couple of truck oes but they are heavy buggers.

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
@Smergen I used 50x3mm angle as got from boatbuilder Bunnings is the biggest rip off as an ali boatbuilder myself I begrudged paying the 500% markup so 5 bucks at the boatbuilder but this is all he had . I think my table is wider and longer than some but picked it up from Bunnings that was cheaper then there 3m ali angle!! But as the genius that I am I screwed it all up with a bit of sika (stronger than the screws) And it was to wide when the bed was folded down so I had to cut it down to 30mm wide Also now the table hits the coaming. When down if I didn't want to remove the table i.e overnight stop. But I can just slide the table out (up) a little when lowering it . If I had of put the angle higher at the bottom it would have had to go another 60 70 mm and this was going to push the table to high at the top.

I have stuck some soft rubber seals behind it so it is pretty grippy but haven't got any angle at the top will see how it goes but I may fit a small bracket up there if it moves. A bit of trial and error here.

Ok just saw the Dick hitch (McHitch) and I like it wa thinking of the D035 but the Dick is cheaper :) And I like the fact that it will make stealing the van a bit harder ? any thoughts? I also cant wait to say to the wife as she guides me back " Is it in Yet " :):):)

Some pics of a couple of my dinghies I built. And trailers.
black on trailer.JPG closeupontrailer.JPG yellow_black_green_002[1].jpg yellow_black_green_006.jpg

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Awesome, thanks for the advice @Stephen Galvin, now know what you mean by the "angles"... the braces you mount the table on with to keep it in place in relation to the bed base itself.

In regards to the screws, what did you guys use? I assume you pre-drill the holes? Does it go all the way through to "inside" the van? This question is also relevant I suppose as I'll be looking at putting some latches on the front and rear beds as well at some stage.

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
@Drover Sorrry I almost had a cry myself Mine was the black one with all the logos. I dont even own a boat now :( This is when I lived in Broome. Haven't caught a fish since I moved to Perth.

@skippy Yeah cant wait did Red Bluff in the camper 2 years ago and loved it Should get some good ariel pics of Warroora as well. As taking my flying machine. Hopefully its not to windy!!

@Smergen I used 12 guage 3/4" stainless screws as had them left over from my boat business days. The fibreglass is only about 3mm max thick before its just styrofoam, the hatch is about 25mm + but no point using to long screws as its only the glass that is holding. Use some sika flex behind this will actually be stronger than the screws. My table is 765mm wide and 1820 long. My base bit of ali resting on top of the ali trim at the bottom, When the hatch is folded down theres only about 30mm below so check and measure this beforehand. If your table is narrower it may pay to put the strip a bit higher on the base so when it folds down the table clears the high part of the coaming. I will take a picture with the base down on mine as mines a bit of a stuff up with the location.

With the latches or anchor points I got one screw in the ali surround all holes are predrilled other wise glass will crack . I also filled the holes with sika before i screwed it up.

Hope this helps others may have done it a bit different so have a look at all the ways first and dont forget to check the gaps with the base down like I did :)

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks @Stephen Galvin, those extra photos really help. I'll have a bit more of a look around at others on here to make sure I'm happy with the methodology and go from there. I reckon we'll place it on the back bed rather than the front end in case we change the tool boxes and the like at the front. Will also make it easier mounting it.

Reactions: Stephen Galvin

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Ok Picked the McDick Hitch 3.5t up Sat Night $425 in Perth. Very solid a neat looking hitch. Easy to fit. Its a fair bit heavier than the Alko though but when you look at it you will see why. I am very impressed with the build on this and what you got with it. Basically everything you see is included . Plus you get a couple of other bits if you have different setups. also a plastic yellow magnetic guide if you have a reversing camera on the back .This is one solid hitch and a vast improvement on the Alkco I had. If anyone wants an Alko with a locking device let me know. Maybe good for another trailer ?
2014-08-10 11.06.29.jpg
2014-08-10 11.10.32.jpg

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
[USER=50 said:
@skippy[/USER] Yeah cant wait did Red Bluff in the camper 2 years ago and loved it Should get some good ariel pics of Warroora as well. As taking my flying machine. Hopefully its not to windy!!
I will take a picture with the base down on mine as mines a bit of a stuff up with the location.

@Stephen Galvin I like any of that area up around Warroora and especially the fishing....can't wait to get back up there with a Kayak this time and hopefully catch a feed.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I wouldn't bother painting the ally, it's always hidden and would look worse once it gets chipped. Mine is just plain.

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
@Drover your right but im not sure i can help myself :) wont be done to soon as I need to concentrate on front box gas bottles and spare on rear.

@skippy Yeah only camped at Red Bluff which was awesome and 20 years ago on our way to Broome my new bride and I drove from Gnaraloo to Coral Bay along the coast as we had keys to the gates. Bloody awesome clothes were optional and we had the whole coast to ourselves. We are taking the kayak this time as well hopefully dont get harrassed by the big Grey fish like I did north of Broome when pulling up a feed!! But Spangles on barra outfits are so much fun.
Haven't caught a fish for years so hopefully I can redeem myself. Will take the paramotor as well for some ariel activities like I did at Red Bluff video here.