Fuel ecomomy - Towing Expanda

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
Fuel econmomy, I have a 105 series petrol/gas Cruiser I'm to scared to work it out put it this way on our outback trip they servos smile when the see me drive in :welcome: is what I always get LOL

haha that made me laugh cruza.
My petrol 3.5L v6 jack returns between 25-30L/100km. Mine is converted to LPG so in the end, $ per km, its not that bad. Its just the small range on LPG that sh#t's. I would like to upgrade to a NS pajero TD auto. One day, one day.

wizzer

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
I'll be interested to hear economy results from a CRD Patrol if any one is towing an expanda with.

Cheers

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Just did a quick shakedown trip to Nagambie & back (100 k's each way). Averaged 14.8 lts/100km, although I think if I drove like I had a caravan on the back, I might be able to get that down a bit more yet. :)

Stew

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Just did a quick shakedown trip to Nagambie & back (100 k's each way). Averaged 14.8 lts/100km, although I think if I drove like I had a caravan on the back, I might be able to get that down a bit more yet. :)

Stew

:lol: Thats not to bad I'm thinking about taking a more serious look at a Triton next year thanks for the update :high5:

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
The Triton did very well, in my humble opinion. :) Heaps of power (although I still don't like the auto, maybe I should have been a bit more insistent on that when buying) and a pretty smooth & comfy ride too. When not towing it does about 9 - 9.5/100km on open roads.

With the WDH & brake controller all set up just right, it was hardly like I was towing at all. Except for long steep hills, but that is always the case with a big heavy trailer. And because of that, I basically drove at 100k's pretty much the whole way. I reckon if I was a bit more "responsible" and let the speed bleed off on the longer hills and not keep the pedal to the metal I could easily get down to 14lts/100km. The roads were also pretty hilly & winding which was good practise for me, not having towed a twin axle for quite a while.

I am looking at the long range fuel tank and an upgrade to the ECU. I reckon with the latter I could get the economy down to 12 - 13. But someone else in the house isn't keen on my playing with the electronics while the car is still under warranty. Might have to wait a few years for that one. :(

Stew

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Awesome! good to hear!! :whoo:

I am looking at the long range fuel tank and an upgrade to the ECU. I reckon with the latter I could get the economy down to 12 - 13. But someone else in the house isn't keen on my playing with the electronics while the car is still under warranty. Might have to wait a few years for that one. :(

Yeah....about 10! :doh:

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Just got my new Tug Colorado LT'R Turbo Diesel
Haven't fitted the electric brake controler yet so haven't towed the expanda yet .

newute.jpg

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Just got my new Tug Colorado LT'R Turbo Diesel
Haven't fitted the electric brake controler yet so haven't towed the expanda yet .

newute.jpg

HOT, HOT, HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mate that thing is a weapon. I love that ARB deluxe winch bar!

I just did my first trip away towing with my work ute Colorado (3L auto). I averaged about 10.5L/100km but only a third of that was towing, so not a great indication of towing economy yet. Should be doing a trip to the Hunter Valley with van in tow soon, so should get some better results then.

I also just got some new shoes on mine, went up one size to 255/70R16. This will no doubt impact economy as well. Much nicer looking than the original cheese cutters. Suspension is a must next.bfg.JPG

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Thanks guys
I'm pretty happy with it so far but its only done less than 600k's :bowl: Will be interesting to see what the economy is like when I get to tow the expanda.
The readout in the dash says its Avg 10.7 k's per ltr at the moment.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Started using 5th gear more on the Patrol and now returning some better figures when towing, around 15L/110km. Still no faster than 95km/hr, just using 5th more on flat terrain and down hills.

I think an increase the tyre pressure on the expanda will also make a small improvement.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Started using 5th gear more on the Patrol and now returning some better figures when towing, around 15L/110km. Still no faster than 95km/hr, just using 5th more on flat terrain and down hills.

I think an increase the tyre pressure on the expanda will also make a small improvement.
I use 5th in the Cruiser we the conditions suit also, but never worked out the difference in econmoy

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Guys
We took the expanda on a shake-down to Ballarat and back , all up hill there , to make sure the van and Tug go well before the we go to the Flinders Ranges/SA trip for the school holidays .
All went well, elect brakes, ride, etc.
Before we left the Colorado was showing 11.3 K's per Ltre and while towing it went to 10.7 k's per ltr so pretty happy.
The Colorado has only done 2300 K's so should get better I hope and it towed it easy which makes me happy.

Im happy with the Colorado and we are waiting for ARB to fit the Canopy and roof rack before our Holiday.