DJI Phantom 3 drone

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Bellbirdweb @dagree @davemc @Tone
Fresh water stream in Litchfield. Fished it out and put it on the van roof (through the roof hatch) for 4 days in the hot sun to dry it out. Then had to pull the camera apart to clean the scale off the lens. One motor bit suspect, so ordered a factory replacement from Sydney, posted to Darwin. Pulled it apart, soldered in new motor and seems to be ok

Its range seems to be effected, but other than that I dodged a bullet with it

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
First holiday with the new essential item. Lennox Head. Our camping group playing beach cricket (that's only half of them....!). Shark attack (hear he'll be ok) today meant no swimming in the ocean.

Pretty happy with my work. 6th flight. Pretty windy but this bit of gear is verrryyyy cool.

(And.... Out of airspace, 20 metres up, 30 metres+ away from people).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Trees ... near water, aghhhhhhhh. I cant look at those great pics too long

(And.... Out of airspace, 20 metres up, 30 metres+ away from people).

A fellow reader of the rules ... nice work.

Speaking of reading the rules. Funny story .... not everyone is required to follow the rules, and not in the obvious way you may initially think.

Read on.

Kakadu and Uluru are militantly patrolled drone free areas as you may well be aware. "Drone Free" signs are plastered everywhere, and layered threats of arrests, massive fines and the like handed out to those stupid enough to question it.

Long story short, after requesting a "permit" and being summarily told, no way Jose, not in a million years, nick of idiot, i had a bit of a search of the applicable legislation ... guess what. No legislation. Our trusty bureaucrats have just invented some serviette written bush law, and theres absolutely nothing to back it up.

I flew my drone around Kakadu with wanton abandon. Shame we've already been through Uluru. I naively believed them there rules, and missed out on great footage. After the insult of being deceived by "the man", next time ill hike up that giant stone and launch the drone from the bloody top

Last edited:

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Right, so who's now looking at upgrading to the DJI Mavic Pro.
That would make me fly it a lot more if I can be up and going in a couple of minutes and can carry it in the pockets of a pair of cargo pants...(almost...lol)

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Trees ... near water, aghhhhhhhh. I cant look at those great pics too long

A fellow reader of the rules ... nice work.

Speaking of reading the rules. Funny story .... not everyone is required to follow the rules, and not in the obvious way you may initially think.

Read on.

Kakadu and Uluru are militantly patrolled drone free areas as you may well be aware. "Drone Free" signs are plastered everywhere, and layered threats of arrests, massive fines and the like handed out to those stupid enough to question it.

Long story short, after requesting a "permit" and being summarily told, no way Jose, not in a million years, nick of idiot, i had a bit of a search of the applicable legislation ... guess what. No legislation. Our trusty bureaucrats have just invented some serviette written bush law, and theres absolutely nothing to back it up.

I flew my drone around Kakadu with wanton abandon. Shame we've already been through Uluru. I naively believed them there rules, and missed out on great footage. After the insult of being deceived by "the man", next time ill hike up that giant stone and launch the drone from the bloody top

On a recent visit to Scotland I came across this sign at one if the Castles

Being a licensed drone pilot, I quizzed the staff at the Castle what their definition of 'innapropriate use' was, and they told me when people are there.

They were happy for you to use them outside of visiting hours.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 215

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Agree, great footage @Bellbirdweb .... Do you reckon you would take more risks using the work one! Like flying over water! :)

Haha, I'm probably braver with my own, because I know the crap my work mates will give me if I ditch it.

But given this job was all about the flood water, I did start to get braver as time went on.

After a while I kind of forgot about the water and was flying right on the edge of line of sight.

You definitely become more confident the more you fly, that could be good or bad.

Reactions: steve67