DJI Phantom 3 drone

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Bugger, looks like i'm going to be a couple of grand poorer now (just noticed the Kogan is a authorised supplier of DJI)
Sounds like they have really come ahead in stability and ease of use which is fantastic so disregard my previous post
and listen to the blokes who have them.
:oops:

Reactions: Matty4 and steve67

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Oh shivers more like 3 grand, geeze the batteries are a bit steep ($259)
I cant find the gimble support on the DJI website is it a aftermarket thing ?

Yeah batteries are a bit exxy.
They were $209 each when I bought mine but I didn't get any at the time. Went back a month later to get one and paid $209, next month bought another one and they were $229, blame it on the falling dollar..

The gimbal guard/lock thing is a 3D printed device I found on ebay for $10 or so, nothing special, but easier to fit and remove than the gimbal lock that comes with it. This is similar to mine.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Flex...683597?hash=item3d0028df0d:g:If4AAOSwEetV-3W8

This is the backpack I have
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-DJI-P...183444?hash=item2c9d27aa54:g:z48AAOSwu4BVkQ5U

Have fun with it..

Reactions: NoWorries

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Oh shivers more like 3 grand, geeze the batteries are a bit steep ($259)
I cant find the gimble support on the DJI website is it a aftermarket thing ?
Yes, a chinese ebay thing. Search phantom 3 advance ribbon saver.
Screenshot_2016-01-02-16-15-34.png Screenshot_2016-01-02-16-15-23.png
Apparently if the drone lands too hard the gimble can seperate which can in turn damage the ribbon cable, cost ing $200+ to replace. The protector replaces the existing camera back, and has a small "L" shaped foot that extends under the camera and has a small lip at the front stopping the camera from being able to seperate on the hard knock. I googled the hard landing thing, and it seemed common enough to warrant the cheap $15 insurance

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
The Minister of Finances wouldn't come to the party with the approval for a DJI so went the next best option... Walkera QRX350 for $599 for the basic option. Have since bought a few sneaky accessories for it since but yet to try it out with the camera fitted. Got a 3D gimbal for the camera for Christmas to add to the collection ;) Just need to modify it to fit my non-genuine gopro!!!
Walkera GRX350.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The Minister of Finances wouldn't come to the party with the approval for a DJI so went the next best option... Walkera QRX350 for $599 for the basic option. Have since bought a few sneaky accessories for it since but yet to try it out with the camera fitted. Got a 3D gimbal for the camera for Christmas to add to the collection ;) Just need to modify it to fit my non-genuine gopro!!!
View attachment 37959
Ive allowed the required 10min to get it out of the box ..... now wheres the pics, or the story about how it flew away

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
OK @Crusty181 you have caught me out.... No things haven't been modified, fitted or tried out as yet.....
My excuse (And no it hasn't flown back to China because the GPS wasn't reset ;) )....

Computers.jpg
1. Have had a busy week with putting these together...

Bike Day 1.jpg Bike Day 2.jpg
2. And a bit if this to get rid of the frustrations from putting No.1 together...

Waroona Fire - Harvey Dam.jpg Waroona Fire.jpg (Photo's courtesy of Perth Now.)
3. Starting a new job on Monday and most importantly having to keep the water flowing in our South West to try and get this under control!
We had a team of guys on site at Harvey and Stirling Dams keeping the power up so that water pressure could be maintained in the area.
I got half way down there this morning and got the call to turn around and head back as there was no way through!!!!
Both treatment plants have high pressure fire sprinklers around site if needed.

Good luck to all down there and once again a big thanks to the firies..... Paid and Volunteers.

Quadcopter Bits.jpg
Well enough excuses! Here's the pic of the goodies that Mrs D didn't know about until tonight :hail:
1. 2D Gimbal (Not 3D as mentioned previously... That was a wishful thinking!)
2. Second 5200mAh battery.... An extra 15 to 20 minutes flying time :)
3. Mobile phone holder that clips to the controller.... Now I can see where I'm going ;)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Got an email from DJI yesterday, they have some red hot 10 year company anniversary Phantom 3 drone specials direct from them.

The Ph 3 Adv $300 is less than i paid for ... not sure there isn't some other motivatio , but for what its worth, theyre cheaper than they've ever been

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC
Got an email from DJI yesterday, they have some red hot 10 year company anniversary Phantom 3 drone specials direct from them.

The Ph 3 Adv $300 is less than i paid for ... not sure there isn't some other motivatio , but for what its worth, theyre cheaper than they've ever been
Yeah thanks @Crusty181, I'm onto it, I've found that there are few Aussie sellers with the reduced price. I've also heard that a phantom 4 may be released later this year and that the price may drop again?????
Soooooo, getting back to me actually buying a P3A, Im starting to really annoy my mrs with me talking about it all the time, she is nearly about to say "just buy the bloody thing!" Here's hoping anyway!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all, a question for you P3 standard owners. The red charge light on my transmitter won't turn off! When I charge the transmitter the green lights don't do anything unless I turn it on then I can see state of charge. It does seem to be charging and everything operates fine but this light won't go out. Any ideas??

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Im presume the Std and Adv controllers are the same; the Adv and Pro versions are the same because my Adv controller was replaced with a Pro when it stopped working

On the Adv controller the red/green light only illuminates when the controller is turned on, and not when charging. The red/green light only indicates if the controller is connected to the drone when the controller is turned on. When charging, the red/green light doesn't turn on .... Im doing this from memory.

If your controller is charged up, disconnected from the charge and turned off, the red/green indicator should not be illuminated

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Im presume the Std and Adv controllers are the same; the Adv and Pro versions are the same because my Adv controller was replaced with a Pro when it stopped working

On the Adv controller the red/green light only illuminates when the controller is turned on, and not when charging. The red/green light only indicates if the controller is connected to the drone when the controller is turned on. When charging, the red/green light doesn't turn on .... Im doing this from memory.

If your controller is charged up, disconnected from the charge and turned off, the red/green indicator should not be illuminated

No the standard controller is different, only Pro and Advanced share the same one (also used for the Inspire)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
First major anxiety attack flying the drone yesterday. We hiked down to the river in a deep gorge, and I took the drone in the backpack with me.

Clear skies, and the sun was beaming down directly over head, no shade and the glare was really bad ... plus sunglasses and plus a fly net added to the vision impairment

I flew the drone quiet low along the dry'ish river, around a couple of bends and out of eye contact (for me anyway), all in all only about 500mtrs. I stopped over a pool in the otherwise dry river, but was briefly struggling to see the screen to work out the orientation of the drone and distance from the trees before flying back. There was a huge leaning boulder creating a small shady lean-to, which was ideal to duck my head into rip the fly net off and get a quick look at the screen. No biggy

Big biggy, there Crusty, huge biggy. Apparently drone controller signals cant penetrate the huge boulder I managed to hide directly behind. The loss of connection alarms started sounding instantly and the pleasant controller lady who occasionally chats to me, was calmly telling me about the catastrophe now unfolding. Her pleasant calming voice only served to convince me she was perversely enjoying this. The pleasant controller lady shortly after that, also informed that the fail safe auto return to home had been activated; and I recall thinking she sounds disappointed. I was maybe reading too much into that

I quickly realised what I had done, but the immediate issue was what fail safe altitude I had set, and whether that height was enough to absorb the bends in the gorge enroute home via a straight line, point to point. I distinctly recalled setting a 35 metre fail safe height .... I think I recall that, pretty almost sure .. ish.

Shortly after the drama unfolded, my first reaction was to leave my shaddy spot to see if I could get a visual on the drone, and try to see where it crashes. Within what seemed like a in eternity we were all reunited in Wireless Lightbridge connection bliss. I regained control, deactivated the fail safe and continued with the gorge flight and video footage. There's no indication on the resulting video of the catastrophe, only the wonderful video where the drone rises up high into the gorge for a different perspective on the return flight; just like it was planned that way.

The other thing I discovered, drones are really loud in a gorge

Last edited:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle

Yeah red light remains on with switch off.... It never used too. Maybe an email to DJi.

Reactions: Crusty181

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I had a very similar issue over Easter too @Crusty181
was camping on the Murray River at Echuca and was following a mate in his boat whilst they were skiing, Went around a bend in the river still following and lost video signal through the trees. Luckily I still had full satellite signal so I knew it was still flying, but had no idea which way it was facing. The black screen of death lasted what felt like 5 minutes but in reality it was probably a minute before I initiated the RTH function.
I have my RTH set at 60m, just to be extra safe and sure it isn't going to hit anything.

Anyway, it started making a b-line straight for me and as it got close enough I finally got my video signal back and was able to cancel RTH and continue flying.
It's still a bit of a heart-in-the-mouth moment when it happens though, but trusting it will all work as it should (provided all pre-flight checks are done) makes it a little easier.