DJI Phantom 3 drone

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Thought I'd throw this up here.
Photo of our camp just out of Echuca taken with the P3A.

DJI_0012.jpg

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Well the ongoing sagas of the Walkera quad doing back flips on take off have almost been sorted... Tried all sorts of calibrating, checking blades are fitted correctly etc etc etc.

Plugged the battery in last night to try again and smoke started coming from one of the motors that seemed tight last time I tried it.

Managed to get a few minutes spare this afternoon and took it back to where I got it. Techie plugged the battery in, re-calibrated it and hit the "GO" lever...... Within 5 seconds flames shooting out all over the place :flame:(Bit of over exaggerating here). Apparently 3 of the 4 brush-less motor controller boards were faulty giving the impression the motors were tight/seized. Only one motor running at full speed!

Have to send it away... 6 to 8 week waito_O

Mentioned we were leaving on a trip on Saturday and wanted to take it with us (Didn't mention it was only for two nights ;)
Got a call half hour later saying he will swap my controller unit and camera gimble etc to a 2 week old demo model he has in the cabinet that he knows works and I can pick it up tomorrow :clap2:

Not affiliated with Toy Central (Perth) but a happy customer.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Had another "should have read the manual" moment. We were freecamping of the highway south of Carnarvon and I decided it was a good idea to try and film the car and van driving down the red dirt track, whilst the Princess drove and me in the passenger seat.

The first attempt was a failure the screen locked up. Drone flew ok but couldnt see that it was looking at.

Second attempt, we were chugging down the road and had to keep the speed down as the drone was battling against a serious head wind trying to keep up. I flew beside, behind, over and around the car; none of which was actually under any real control. But I figured there were no trees and so long as I didnt touch the altitude stick I couldnt do any harm.

The drone started lagging behind, and we slowed, and slowed and slowed, eventually stopping. The drone was about 500odd metres away but there was no way I cold get it to fly forward. I hit the RTH and the bloody thing shot up to 30mtrs and started to bugger off in the opposite direction.

I learnt a couple of things.

The RTH point is where it took off from, and not where you or the controller is ... in my case the home point was now about a km back from my location in the opposite direction. And when you hit that RTH button your in for a long walk.

Once the drone hit the 500mtr from home limit I set (and promptly forgot) there is no way you can get it to fly a millimetre further. I had to land it on the track about half a km back and walk back to collect the bloody thing.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Had another "should have read the manual" moment. We were freecamping of the highway south of Carnarvon and I decided it was a good idea to try and film the car and van driving down the red dirt track, whilst the Princess drove and me in the passenger seat.

The first attempt was a failure the screen locked up. Drone flew ok but couldnt see that it was looking at.

Second attempt, we were chugging down the road and had to keep the speed down as the drone was battling against a serious head wind trying to keep up. I flew beside, behind, over and around the car; none of which was actually under any real control. But I figured there were no trees and so long as I didnt touch the altitude stick I couldnt do any harm.

The drone started lagging behind, and we slowed, and slowed and slowed, eventually stopping. The drone was about 500odd metres away but there was no way I cold get it to fly forward. I hit the RTH and the bloody thing shot up to 30mtrs and started to bugger off in the opposite direction.

The RTH point is where it took off from, and not where you or the controller is ... in my case the home point was now about a km back from my location in the opposite direction. And when you hit that RTH button your in for a long walk.

Once the drone hit the 500mtr from home limit I set (and promptly forgot) there is no way you can get it to fly a millimetre further. I had to land it on the track about half a km back and walk back to collect the bloody thing.
That's kind of funny that RTH function can be a catch. One reason I haven't taken off from my boat yet. There is a setting I think you can change the RTH to where the transmitter is.
Glad your getting some use from the drone.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
a

All done while in the nude :behindsofa:

Reactions: dagree

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
As @Tone said @Crusty181 you can reset your home point in the MC settings.
In the Main Controller settings you can tap on the Home Point settings and set it as either the current aircraft position or your current position as the new home point.

This only works if you are using a GPS chip fitted device, ie, not a wifi only device.
This is also in the DJI GO app, not sure about others like Litchi, etc. I haven't used them.

PS. need more videos.......:D

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Is that us?
What device do you currently use to view with?
I mainly use an ipad mini 2 which is wifi only, so it can't be done with that. If I was to use my iphone 6s then I could update my home point as it uses the GPS receiver in the phone.
I "think" it would work if I hotspotted my ipad to my iphone, but haven't tried it yet.