DJI Phantom 3 drone

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC
OK you guys with the drones, how often do you use them? Are you still enjoying them? Would you recommend a drone? Is $1699 a good price for a Phantom 3 Advance with a free backpack a good deal?
Im definitely interested in buying one, it's just maybe a bit exi

Reactions: Matty4

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC
Word of advice, if you have not used a drone learn on a cheapie first
Good point, the good thing about these ones are that they have GPS so hopefully no fly always, they SHOULD just fly home back to the take off point. Having said that, it still is not going to stop you flying it into a tree or the ground!

Reactions: Smirke

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Learn to hover, rotate flat and do slow figure 8's then spend the coin.
I have seen many adds in gumtree offering rewards for found Quads
Start in a bloody large park (footy or cricket ovals are best) with no trees don't be tempted to just test it in your backyard (unless it is really large).
My first one is up a palm tree in the next door neighbors yard (about 20 bloody mtrs high)
lucky it was only worth $80
My second one is in someones backyard
Yes i am a slow learner :oops:
I am now on the the third and really glad I did not spend heaps first up.

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Good point, the good thing about these ones are that they have GPS so hopefully no fly always, they SHOULD just fly home back to the take off point. Having said that, it still is not going to stop you flying it into a tree or the ground!

A mate of mine had a purpose built that held his really expensive canon dslr ($4000) it also had GPS he is a very experienced operator and went to the beach to shoot a Kitesurfing video, his very expensive Camera and Drone are somewhere off Pinnaroo point now.
and yes he did go slightly out of range and the GPS is supposed to kick in and bring it back but it just decided to land it about 1klm out to sea.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
The Phantom 3 Advanced is a really good drone for a beginner.

Because they have full GPS mode, they are quite easy to fly, even for a novice.

They also have the 1080p camera.

You can set safety zones so you cant fly too far away from your starting point and loads of other stuff you can control from your tablet or smart phone.

Any of the DJI drones are designed with the consumer market in mind, but I'd go to a big park and practice for a while before venturing too near obstacles like trees (I speak from experience).

There are also some other good apps like Safe to Fly which tell you where you can and can't fly

Reactions: steve67

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
A mate of mine had a purpose built that held his really expensive canon dslr ($4000) it also had GPS he is a very experienced operator and went to the beach to shoot a Kitesurfing video, his very expensive Camera and Drone are somewhere off Pinnaroo point now.
and yes he did go slightly out of range and the GPS is supposed to kick in and bring it back but it just decided to land it about 1klm out to sea.

Even with the return to home feature, they will reach a point of no return (whcih the app usually tells you on a DJI) where it can try to come back, but doesn't have sufficient battery power to make it back. If you happen to be over the ocean when you do this, its a very bad thing. Especially if you have a DSLR underneath it. :bathbaby:

Reactions: steve67

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I've got a Phantom 3 Advanced. This is my second one after getting an original one last year.
The earlier versions (1, 2, 2V+) are far less capable than the 3.
I'll also admit that I am relatively conservative with mine as it's a lot of coin if you loose it. Having said that, I am now quite confident in it's abilities and as long as you take your time and ensure all the parametres are setup correctly in the DJI GO app before you fly, 90+% of the reported issues will be non-existent. Most are caused by human error.

I've now flown mine well out of visual range (~2K away) with full control still on my Ipad.
You can learn on these quite easily if all you're ever going to fly is something like a P3.
Racing quads on the other hand.....

I know @Crusty181 has one, but he's on an extended trip around, so I'm sure he'll chime in with advice too.

I haven't flown it since early Nov, just been busy, but I'm heading to QLD on Sunday for 2 weeks and I'm definately taking it.
Planning on flying it a few days up there.

Any questions, ask away.
Here's a short vid I made, just to whet your appetite....hehe

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I've got a Phantom 3 Advanced. This is my second one after getting an original one last year.
I'll also admit that I am relatively conservative with mine as it's a lot of coin if you loose it. Having said that, I am now quite confident in it's abilities and as long as you take your time and ensure all the parametres are setup correctly in the DJI GO app before you fly, 90+% of the reported issues will be non-existent. Most are caused by human error.

I've now flown mine well out of visual range (~2K away) with full control still on my Ipad.
You can learn on these quite easily if all you're ever going to fly is something like a P3.

I know @Crusty181 has one, but he's on an extended trip around, so I'm sure he'll chime in with advice too.

I haven't flown it since early Nov, just been busy, but I'm heading to QLD on Sunday for 2 weeks and I'm definately taking it.

Any questions, ask away.

Nice video @Matty4 (only slightly illegal near that helipad ;) )

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Helipads count as airfields under the definition of the CASR.

I hold a CASA UAV operators certificate, and there is a lot that is within the detail of the regs that isn't shown on their web site.

Basically it wouldn't be an issue, but if a chopper were to complain they would have a big stick they could hit you with.

That particular pad doesnt seem to even show up so most likely wouldn't be a problem.
image.png

Reactions: Matty4

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC

Any questions, ask away.

Thanks @Matty4 for the feedback. Great flying with great vision. I think I need one now! I've just had my birthday and missed the opportunity to ask the Mrs to get me one....missed Xmas as well.....I might ask for one for Valentine's Day :love-struck:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ive got the same drone as @Matty4. Its incredibly easy to fly, with great quality imagery. I havent to much opportunity to get it up on our trip due to combo of circumstances and weather

The drone is very stable, very responsive and is ready to fly right out of the box. $1699 is about the right price for Aust stock for the P3. Theres a couple of accessories you should consider.

A brace that mounts between the skids. The camera is mounted very low and anything more than about 10mm on the ground and the camera will hit it before the skids touch the ground $5

Alum camera support. It replaces the camera back and has a small support. Apparently hard landings can seperate the camera and brake the comms ribbon. This stops the the camera from being able to detach. $10

Lens protector, prop guards, ND filter to give better exp control $25

I have a backpack. Makes it very easy

Put it up briefly over Ormiston Gorge west of Alice Springs couple of days ago. Ranger poo poo'ed it saying i needed a permit in NT Nat Parks... ill chase that up

We were in Coober Pedy and that would have been ideal. Its difficult to get any decent perspective of the mullock heaps from ground level. Were heading back there next week so i get it then.

I love it. As for flying out of range, the system monitors the battery and knows how much power is available and how much it needs to return to launch point. Of course thing can go haywire but the built in safety functions are pretty impressive.

I use Android, so i have the luxury of the Litchi Android App. Waypoint flying, very cool.

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC
Thanks for the feedback and advice @Crusty181. Another great example of what this drone can capture. From what I've seen here and on the web, this is the drone for me. Enjoy your big trip and looking forward to seeing more aerial video.
Cheers :thumb:

Reactions: Crusty181

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
As @Crusty181 said, they are easy to fly.
I paid $1550 for mine without any extras at the time. The DJI backpack on its own is over $200.
I bought a hard tool case for it from Supercheap Auto and I now also have a cheap Ebay backpack special as well.
Extra batteries are a must. As you fly you will realise how quick 20 minutes goes by and you'll wanna get straight back up there. I have 3.
Other accessories along the way I've got also include an ND16 filter, lens cover and gimbal support, windsurfer range extender antennas, spare props, SD cards, HDMI out mod on controller. As you can see, it can add up....

BTW, the Litchi app is now also available for iOS, so I'm thinking about getting that and trying it on my iPad mini 2

More questions?, post away..