Burnsie's Unexpected 17.56-2 Outback

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Just finished the first electrical mod to the van, the installation of the Gas/Co detector, all up fairly straight forward and looking forward to some more "12V additions & upgrades"

View attachment 34091

View attachment 34092

View attachment 34093

Thanks @TRAKADU for helping me source the unit and also to @dagree for the install tips

As per most peoples comments on here lets hope we don't ever have to use it..
nice if I put anything low like that my kids would have a field day < no leave that alone >

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Just finished the first electrical mod to the van, the installation of the Gas/Co detector, all up fairly straight forward and looking forward to some more "12V additions & upgrades"

View attachment 34091

View attachment 34092

View attachment 34093

Thanks @TRAKADU for helping me source the unit and also to @dagree for the install tips

As per most peoples comments on here lets hope we don't ever have to use it..
Thats the gas detector I was looking at. It was the only one that listed the units specs. Have you found a domestic supplier, Ive only seen it on eBay from the UK

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @Crusty181 this one was through eBay as well via the UK, haven't seen this one locally at all. It usually is supplied with a rechargeable battery built in as well but this is removed prior to shipping.

hopefully the specs and alert/alarm features wouldn't differ that much between the countries.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hey @Crusty181 this one was through eBay as well via the UK, haven't seen this one locally at all. It usually is supplied with a rechargeable battery built in as well but this is removed prior to shipping.

hopefully the specs and alert/alarm features wouldn't differ that much between the countries.
Seems like a great system. I particularly like the optional wireless gas supply valve that shuts off the gas supply when it goes into alarm. If @Holden_man's parents had a gas alarm wired via the Setec type power supply which was only active when it was powered up, I suspect the explosion may well have occured anyway. Plus having a gas alarm going off its head in the van .... and I driving the car, isnt much value. Ill look further into the gas valve shut off, before I commit to one. This system (with all the components) a total monitoring/shut off ... set and forget.

If you forget to turn off the bottles, it will do it for you.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Alright had some time this arvo to work on the van for a few hours and got a few things done in prep for some upcoming trips

Received the TV Mount and installed

IMG_2970.JPG IMG_2971.JPG IMG_2973.JPG

A couple of hooks, nice and simple but so useful

IMG_2974.JPG

Mounted the sensor light for the kids when using the toilet at night

IMG_2977.JPG IMG_2976.JPG

Got the Gas Fuses installed

IMG_2979.JPG IMG_2980.JPG

And finally picked up a table from the big green shed

IMG_2982.JPG

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Alright had some time this arvo to work on the van for a few hours and got a few things done in prep for some upcoming trips

Received the TV Mount and installed

View attachment 35594 View attachment 35595 View attachment 35596

A couple of hooks, nice and simple but so useful

View attachment 35597

Mounted the sensor light for the kids when using the toilet at night

View attachment 35598 View attachment 35599

Got the Gas Fuses installed

View attachment 35600 View attachment 35601

And finally picked up a table from the big green shed

View attachment 35602
I turned my fuses to the side so I can see them when when the bed end is down

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Another new addition to the van got the dock for it as well as I intend to mount a 3g/4g antenna on the roof for better coverage, lets see how long the "data" lasts, will probably run out before we get back from the school holiday trip next week ;)

IMG_2990.JPG

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@burnsie Fit the aerial to the TV aerial (No need for extra setting up) or use a marine style fold down mount on the side with an extension pole if required.

Have set ours up with the same modem and docking station. Only tried at home but it increased the connection by on bar on the laptop (Full number of bars)

Reactions: Crusty181

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
So was cleaning the van after our trip last week and when I filled up the tanks I checked the Coast to Coast panel and got this

IMG_3262.JPG

Looks like two of the middle sensors/lights are not working.

Had a look at the below link and it appears all of the cables for the sensors are linked to one cable that goes back to the main unit

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/drifter-control-panel-complete-install.3343/

IMG_1191.jpg

So was hoping to get some recommendations on how to troubleshoot this I suppose if possible without removing the tank and all the other bits that go with it. Assume as one of the sensors/lights are working in the same connector that the others should be working at this point or might have come loose? The sensors at the tank end look pretty well sealed and for two of them to go at the same time would be pretty unlikely I would have thought.

Any suggestions on the best way to tackle this one? hoping to get the van in for a service and fix some warranty items before xmas so can wait and get them to do it, but if there are some checks I might have a look myself

Cheers

Reactions: MiniKlein