Discovery Our Jayco Discovery

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
IMG_3444.jpg
Knocked up a bash plate with some left over checker plate from doing the side of the van.
IMG_3450.jpg
And started my next mod., setting up a reverse camera for rear of van.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Finished running cables for camera today and wiring into switch/indash DVD GPS. As it was originally the indash player would switch to the reverse camera as soon as reverse was selected. I disabled this and re-wired both cameras to a ON/OFF/ON rocker switch so I can select either camera anytime at the flick of a switch.
IMG_3478.jpg
Camera 1
IMG_3480.jpg
Camera 2
I also had to cut a section out of the reverse camera housing so I could angle camera head down lower.
IMG_3476.jpg
IMG_3470.jpg
Even though the door half blocks the veiw, with the camera mounted at the Jayco logo on the back of the van I can see side ways to the watering can and rearwards to the 20lt drum which seems just fine. And the best part was the whole system from camera to indash player cost $120.

Will put pics up later as photo bucket wont work for me tonight.

Reactions: blacky

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Had our second run in the van over the weekend and glad to say everything went AOK. Our little girl got her plaster off friday so we came home, hooked up the van and headed off for the weekend.
First time towing with the air bags fitted and drove perfect, I was wrapped with the differance.
First time solely on 12v power and again everything went AOK. Forgot to turn the outside light off first night and solar charger showed 82% left in the morning(wasnt fully charged night before as TV, lights, fridge on trip down and radio were all going) but by about 1130 charge was back to 100%.
Fridge worked a treat on gas but is a little tricky to get going(or I found it hard tell if gas was alight or not).
Hand pump worked great for drinking water through BEST filter.
Done a few mods that Ill put up tonight.
BTW, thanks guys for all the great comments, much appreciated.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Glad all went well MM and it's great your daughter has her plaster off in time for the holidays. Look forward to your other pics!

Cheers.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Thanks guys.
IMG_3551.jpg
After installing a third tank, I wanted easy filling but needed the breather sealed to stop dust getting in and water getting out. So for the two existing tanks i linked the breathers together and ran the breather pipe up to the rear fill point on the van(new one I fitted) and fitted a tap. Turn on to fill and while in use, turn off for travelling. Did the same for the drinking water tank.
IMG_3547.jpg
IMG_3550.jpg
I also fitted a BEST water filter in line for our drinking water tap and knocked up a cover for it.Gotta love left over alloy checker plate.
IMG_3535.jpg
And finally a picture of our camp at the beach.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Great work MM, there mustn't be much left for you to do....then what? Maybe another van and do it all again :)
I'm wondering what the black cartridge thing is in the pic, maybe I'm not observant enough....can't remember if I have one or not.

Cheers.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Burnsy, that black thing is a inline water filter(im guessing we're talking about the same thing). That one does the shower, hot water, sinks etc, while the BEST filter does a hand pump for drinking water only.
FEw plans for inside the van, Id like to make a set of bunks. I found a layout like ours with bunks fitted and it looked good., So when our girls get abit bigger I reacon Ill build a set.
Also Im considering making the double bed fold away so we have abit more room around the shower/toilet etc.
Externally, Ive gotta finish painting the chassis, tidy up wiring/plumbing and fit protection to them, Id like to fit external hot/cold water taps and want to strengthen the draw bar.
Of coarse if someone offered the right money...........................

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Not a planned mod but for $20 I couldnt pass up on it. I was trolling Ebay and found a roll of LED strip lighting (5050) for $20, free freight so decided I could use it somewhere.
In the end I fitted a 1mt strip in the front boot and ran a lenght along above the stove/sink for some nicer light. Still have half a roll left over for "something"

1766.jpg
No light

1767.jpg
LED strip lighting

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey MM, sorry didn't see your last post....sounds like some big mods still to come! Great buy with the led strips and looks brilliant!

Cheers.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Just back from three weeks holiday at Stanley Tassie, home of the "NUT". Barring the constant wind, we had a great time, learnt a few things about the van too.
026_zpsf69cf4e9.jpg
Veiw from our camp.
035_zps95014235.jpg
The Nut from the park.
076_zpsd58c5eb1.jpg
Veiw from half way up the walking track on the Nut. You can see our camp about half way along the beach.
084_zps02aa72cf.jpg
Lookout from on top of the nut over looking part of the wharf area.
090_zps58977555.jpg
Did I mention wind. This is my boys dome tent having a lay down in a gust of wind. It didnt make it and was replaced.
107_zpsfdb881bc.jpg
If you know where to look there are baby penguins every where.
115_zps97ce2b46.jpg
and as usual, the last day before we came home was a cracker, best we had.

Attachments

• 026_zpsf69cf4e9.jpg
    026_zpsf69cf4e9.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 035_zps95014235.jpg
    035_zps95014235.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 076_zpsd58c5eb1.jpg
    076_zpsd58c5eb1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 084_zps02aa72cf.jpg
    084_zps02aa72cf.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 090_zps58977555.jpg
    090_zps58977555.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 107_zpsfdb881bc.jpg
    107_zpsfdb881bc.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 115_zps97ce2b46.jpg
    115_zps97ce2b46.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 182

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
A few things learnt from extended stays in the van.
Dont turn the taps off to hard in the shower or youll bust the tap valves. Son number one found out and then we couldnt turn the water off. I had to turn pressure pump off, dissasemble mixer set, try and super glue broken valve(breha valve, plastic) which was enough to stop water but couldnt turn on either. Luckily I tracked one down 100kms away and made a dash to get it the next day. Have 4 spares now. BTW, we paid $20 for the valve from a caravan shop here and ordered off caravansplus on the net they were $4.
I should have fitted full annexe to stop the wind flapping under the awning as its very annoying at night. I also had to roll up awning 3 times due to wind getting to strong.
When youve been in the cold water, there is nothing better than coming back to the van and having a HOT shower but also nothing worse than coming back all cold and jumping into the shower thinking its hot only to find its freezing too. On a few occasions we had the pilot light on the hot water system go out, Im guessing the wind gusts blow it out.
And we broke a spring on the freezer door flap but have new ones coming from caravansplus. After a couple of breakages, I went round the van looking for likely breakages that would cause trouble on the road and made up a list to order for a spare parts bag including stuff like ext door hinges, tap valves, freezer hinges, door locks etc.
All in all loved the van, towed great and am now ready to commence the next round of mods which is installing bunk beds.