Discovery Our Jayco Discovery

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Picked her up about a month ago and as usual for me, I have a great list of things to do.
Firstly, things already taken care of-
Removed most of the 12v system and re-wired to suit our requirements, removed 12v halogen globes and fittd LED's, fitted a second 100AH Deep cycle battery, made up nw battery tray, added a isolator, added a manual resetable circuit braker, fitted all LED clearance lights, fitted angle brackets to all draws/cupboards/seat bases/bed bases etc, added extra cross members to chasis, fitted the stereo better/neater and made speaker boxes/hid wiring, added second strut under bed, 12 Kogan LED TV
Now to do- fit an external speaker, fit some LED 12v down lights over bed, checker plate sides/front/rear, solar panels to roof, 50mm straight axles(up from 45mm), brakes for rear axle, upgrade wheels from 14 to 15", underfloor protection to wiring/pipes, off road hitch(Treg), make table convert to bed base, paint chasis, fit genny box to draw bar, may fit bigger tanks(has two new 60lt)
Some pics(sorry about quality but these are all I have yet)
IMG_2562.jpg
IMG_2532.jpg
IMG_2536.jpg
These pics are from the day we picked it up, it came loaded with blankets, cuttlery, crockery, pillows, rugs etc.
It has a un-used annexe too

Reactions: norm walker

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Great van Moto Mech. This thing will be fully kitted out by the time you are finished with it!

I really like the sound of what you have planned for it, look forward to following the mods.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Ok, got abit done today
There was only 240v lights on each side of the bed but I wanted 12v LED's so fitted a pr of these-
IMG_2738.jpg
IMG_2742.jpg
Ran the wiring up the inside of the van and hid it in this conduit
IMG_2743.jpg

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Also fitted up a external waterproof speaker.
IMG_2748.jpg
Little hole.....
IMG_2750.jpg
Bigger hole.......
IMG_2753.jpg
We have daylight
IMG_2756.jpg
All fitted. Applied sealant to the rear of the speaker so there is no chance of water leaking down the inside of the wall. Also bolted the speaker through the outside skin and inside paneling for extra strength.
IMG_2758.jpg
Ran the speaker wire through this conduit that is stuck to the underside of the top pop top frame using double sided tape as the radio is fitted on the right side of the van and speaker is fitted under the awning on the left.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Last mod today. Having two little girls we needed to make the "L" shape lounge into a mini double bed so I decided to simply use the table top as a temp. bed base.
IMG_2759.jpg
First thing to do is remove the table base.
IMG_2763.jpg
IMG_2764.jpg
I then made up this base which will be welded under the floor to the chasis and allow a flat mount inside the van.
IMG_2761.jpg
Just need to make up a "plug" to stop stuff falling in the hole when not in use. Oh and maybe replace the lino to get ride of the old screw holes.

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Hi moto mech,
Looking good. Just wondering what size the fusion speakers are, (diameter and wattage).. Where did you get them from and a cost if thats ok.
Looking at fitting a set to our van. Also any idea what they sound like quality wise.

Cheers.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
They are 200W speakers, 150mm dia. and cost $119 from a local marine shop(Tamar Marine). If you only need one, I have one to sell as they come in pairs. Let me know.
Sound wise, well seemed ok to me.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Oh, just found these pics on my phone. Replaced all outside clearance lights with LED's last weekend.
These are also on my Jayco Swift. First time I had ever seen them. I was concerned that the white LED clearance lights would glaring bright in my rear view mirrors, but they are not.
I am impressed and will convert my interior lights to LED ASAP.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
These are also on my Jayco Swift. First time I had ever seen them. I was concerned that the white LED clearance lights would glaring bright in my rear view mirrors, but they are not.
I am impressed and will convert my interior lights to LED ASAP.

Actually being side clearance lights, these are actually like this when powered up-
IMG_2692.jpg
But I do have a couple of clear ones for the front of the van.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Little mod I made today. The shower head has to be held with one hand while you wash your hair etc. which I think will be a pain. So I got some stainless rod, lathed down one end to fit the shower head and welded(stainless rod) on a slightly larger piece of stainless to the other end and bored it out to the same dia. as the bracket in the shower. So now I have a shower head mounted at roof height. Just need to remember to lower it when dropping the pop top.
IMG_2789.jpg
IMG_2787.jpg
IMG_2788.jpg
IMG_2786.jpg

Reactions: blacky