Discovery Our Jayco Discovery

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Ok, back from a mixed weekend. A few little things to do to the van. We found out the toilet water wouldnt flush so had to use a dish to fill/flush it(have since sorted by wriggling wires on switch), I also need to sort out stability while towing but am hoping a set of airbags help this. The Cruiser drops around 50mm+ once van is dropped on and while I can level the van with the adjustable hitch, the Cruiser squats badly. It wasnt bad, just abit lively on bumpy stuff.
Loved the van, quick setup and pack up, comfortable and got quite a few comments and finger pointing :). On this trip we did about 200kms towing the van and another 100kms on a emergancy run, fuel economy was 19.96lt/100kms so overall pretty happy.
Now for the not so good part of our trip, our little 3yr old girl broke her leg so we spent a day in emergency getting that sorted. Thats when our toilet in the van came into its own.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
MM, I think your 3yo got your attention away from your Discovery for a while at least. I'm sure airbags will be the fix you need. Work a treat on my Pathie and mates BT50.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Bummer about your daughter mm. I have 4 kids. 2 boys, 2 girls. One boy has had 2 broken legs and an arm. The other boy has had one broken leg and stitches after falling off the bed. All of this before they turned 5. Its amazing how quickly they bounce back. The two girls......so far so good.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Just a couple of pics., one of a slide out step I fitted. I had alot of choices for this but picked this one because of its low profile when closed.
IMG_3300.jpg
And one of our camp set up last weekend.
IMG_3296.jpg

Reactions: norm walker

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
So gave the Cruiser abit of loven over the weekend. Fitted a set of Poly Air bags, rear wheel bearings, hand brake shoes and rear brake pads.
Now I hooked up the van with 10psi in the bags and got 15mm drop and 25psi had 10mm drop, down from over 50mm. So Ill experiment with between 10 and 25psi next time im out and see how handling is effected.
Also my adjustable hitch is now out of range(adjustment) due to vehicle holding its height and have the original Toyota tounge on. this is ok but if I end up needing leveling bars Im in trouble. It can be turned over(adjustable one) but will effect ground clearance too much.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
One of my last mods(yeah right :) ) left to do was to fit a drinking water tank. The van has two 60lt tanks(linked together) but i thought with a family of 6 the water would soon disappear. So Ive fitted a stand alone 60lt drinking water tank that is plumbed up to a hand pump over the sink.
IMG_3426.jpg
The Camec 59lt water tank
IMG_3429.jpg
Made a couple of hinged brackets
IMG_3433.jpg
IMG_3434.jpg
IMG_3436.jpg
Tank can easily be swung down for maintanance.
IMG_3438.jpg
I was planning on fitting a side filler to match the original but couldnt find a spot suitable to cut some big holes in the side of the van. In the end I made up a filler spout and mounted it on the rear draw bar, nice and high for easy filling and still tucked away out of the way.

Reactions: blacky

Where2nxt

Oct 6, 2012
Western Australia
Hey, does the expanda water tanks have baffles in them to help stop the sloshing motion. More so, if I empty the tank, is there places the water will not drain out, for parking up extended time. Cheers

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Nice mm. I am assuming you just connected this the the existing manual pumping tap? Or did you put another one in?

Ive plumbed it into an existing hand pump but ran new food grade hose from new tank through to hand pump. I have to fit a new hand pump too as I broke the plastic barb off the old one getting the hose off.