Our 18-57-6

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
J-Box mod

Got around to doing the same mod as i did on my other van on the Aussie Day weekend with the j-box and tidied up the rats nest above the sheet metal plate. Allot more cables in the 18 so a bit more work, I also ran cables through grommets in the steel sections of chassis instead of going around to avoid the sharp edges.
In the pics below, one shot shows on of the plugs that was damaged (not by me), it looks like it had a hard time being pulled through somewhere and the blue and red wires were nicked so i slipped some heat shrink over them. Another shot shows wires with plastic plug removed to enable wires to be passed through grommets and gland nuts.
All up 3 entries and 3 exits, one entry is for 6B&S from tug which i will do later so i have a short piece of 6B&S pushed in so i could seal with gland nut.

Cheers.

Picture 914.jpg Picture 915.jpg

Picture 919.jpg Picture 916.jpg

Picture 917.jpg Picture 920.jpg

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Hey Burnsy just been through this whole thread and all I can say is WOW what a journey you've been on, I so glad it has all worked out for you in the end. Look forward to reading more about your travels and Mods that you do.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Burnsy just been through this whole thread and all I can say is WOW what a journey you've been on, I so glad it has all worked out for you in the end. Look forward to reading more about your travels and Mods that you do.

Thanks Jason, i'm sure the dramas caused a few of my grey hairs but all good now and enjoying our trips and tinkering with the van.

Cheers mate.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Solar Switch

Hi all, after an unsuccessful attempt to run cable to the top cupboard above stove and next to shower (this houses a power point, circuit breaker, control panel and hot water gas switch) i decided to change the battery switch to a double switch, so now one switch for solar isolation. It took a few minutes to work out what was going on with battery switch, i.e. the way it works is open circuit for battery power and closed circuit for no power :crazy:

I used a double pole 10amp switch for solar but not sure how it will handle the 11-15amps coming from solar panel/panels depending on which way i go, worst case i will change to 15amp! Hope to get panel/panels fitted in the next few weeks! :)

Cheers.

Picture 939.jpg

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Burnsy,
I bet you had fun trying to get that switch in the cupboard :) reckon you have a good solution changing the 12v switch though.
I am curious though, why the solar isolator?

You had plenty of rain down your way, getting pretty sick of it up here?

Thx - jas

Reactions: David & Sharon

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Burnsy,
I bet you had fun trying to get that switch in the cupboard :) reckon you have a good solution changing the 12v switch though.
I am curious though, why the solar isolator?

You had plenty of rain down your way, getting pretty sick of it up here?

Thx - jas

Hi mate, I think I would need to pull van apart to get the cable down there! A few reasons for switch....I won't be fitting reg at same time so no live wires, eliminates the risk of shorting panels when mucking around with wires, I won't need solar when on powered site and I don't want power to batteries 24-7. Also as a rule I just like to be able isolate current inputs but that's just me. :)

Yep, I think the east coast has had enough rain.....no good for trips away!

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Man Burnsy, just read your entire thread. I think youve handled it well, I would have chucked a big dummy spit.
Hope all goes well now with your van

Thanks mate, they knew I wasn't happy but there's only so much you can do besides telling them to shove it! In the end I ended up with a shower that was put together well, very happy with the job the repairer did and I was able to see the repair in stages too. He will also do my service work and fit solar panels.....too high for me and ladders are not my friend!

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
How many watts are you going for with the panels Burnsy ?

Hi CD, it looks like i'll go with 2x120w panels given the room i have to fit, i could go with 1x200W but no more room apart from 1 other spot a bit further away. The 120's Rated @ 7.22A each so thats 14.44A total, there is a switch mech i can get rated @ 20amp so maybe that's the go?

Cheers.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hey Burnsy, just wondering when we can expect to see your next installment with the solar panels, have you installed them yet? I'm interested to see if you have any troubles because we're in the process of finalising our wish list for the new van and don't know whether to get Jayco to fit or to do it later and just get them to pre-wire.
Dave