Our 18-57-6

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Just WOW....

Did you get a picture of the pipe damage for future reference???

Sure did! :)

Picture 786.jpg

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Day 3 Shower Repair

Two walls have been glued on (one piece) using sika which was done on day 2. At the same time they also did 2 test pieces using offcuts of my old walls and plywood, one with sika and one with Jayco's tool box glue. 24hrs later they pulled the test pieces apart and the result was simillar and not much glue left on the back of the wall samples. They are not happy with the result and would like to get the ply to bond better so they did more test pieces this time with the back of wall scuffed up, and 2 more without scuffing and will test on Monday morning, giving them about 60hrs to cure.

If the test pieces that have been scuffed adhere allot better then they are going to remove the wall that has been stuck in already and to do this it has to be cut so new wall from Jayco! Now i'm getting a bit worried as in 2 weeks we are away for 3 weeks in van, worst case i'll take it as it is and put my porta potty in the ensuit room and then take the van back when we get home. Anyway hopefully all will be good.

On a brighter note I will be building a bike rack for the back of our van early next year......havn't seen one like this on here yet!

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Phew, spoke to repairer this morning and they're happy with how the adhesive has taken on test pieces so no need to take wall off and order a new one! Just for the record after some extensive testing both sika and tool box glue seem to be just as good, maybe the Jayco tool box glue a tad better. The repairer is aiming for me to have it back by end of week :)

Cheers.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Phew, spoke to repairer this morning and they're happy with how the adhesive has taken on test pieces so no need to take wall off and order a new one! Just for the record after some extensive testing both sika and tool box glue seem to be just as good, maybe the Jayco tool box glue a tad better. The repairer is aiming for me to have it back by end of week :)

Cheers.

Good to hear they are taking time for R & D.....

So what was the verdict that made it stick??

Was it the roughing or something else?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I did wonder Burnsy if waiting 24 hours would have been enough for the products to cure completely. Is that jayco glue easily purchased?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
What would they be using a saw for?

Not sure how it happened as there is no opening where pipe was, unless it was near where the ply had to be cut out and then pulled through.

Good to hear they are taking time for R & D.....

So what was the verdict that made it stick??

Was it the roughing or something else?

Not sure mate, may of been the longer cure time, although they will rough up the back of the next walls just in case, good to know this place is very thorough.

I did wonder Burnsy if waiting 24 hours would have been enough for the products to cure completely. Is that jayco glue easily purchased?

Yeah maybe not quite long enough! Jayco sent the repairer the glue however i don't think it's exclusive to Jayco, I found this link on the product. http://www.klevaklip.com.au/images/adhesive data sheets/toolbox.pdf

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Nice to hear some positive news, Burnsey. Looks like you'll be all sweet (en suite) for your holidays.
Big fan of those slow curing adhesives ever since super-glueing fingers together.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Day 4 and last 2 walls (one piece) has been glued in place, the guys have braced until adhesive dries.

Picture 789.jpg

What really impresses me with this repairer is that they do more than they need to, modify or change something so that the job is done right, he even gets vans from insurance companies thats been botched by other repairers. I can thoroughly recommend these guys 100%.

Griff Smith Caravan Repair Centre (Newcastle NSW)
Owner: Rob
Ph: (02) 49424018

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Burnsy, all those pieces of wood in your shower mate has taken me back seeing Catherine Zeta-Jones do that flippy, twisty thing through all those lasers in Entrapment with Sean Connery. Keep dreaming do we? Pace.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Day 5 and the job was done, however some sealer a bit wet so couldn't clean up. Will pickup at 3.30 on day 6 which is today :whoo:

Now where is that survey Jayco wan't me to fill out.....:censored:

Reactions: Ren77