Our 18-57-6

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Dave,
I hope to have panels on Friday, and maybe another week or 2 before I have them fitted. Jayco don't give you much option on what you get and I wanted to research before deciding. All depends on what you intend to do as far as free camp, maybe Jayco's options might suit you but I didn't know enough about solar at the time. If you don't get solar fitted then go with pre wire and when you decide on your setup you will save buying online.

The specs look ok on the 120w panels that I ordered....2x120w panels (25y warranty) 2 Y adaptors and a 5 metre extension cable for $377.90 delivered incl insurance, just need to add regulator!

Cheers.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi Burnsy,
What regulator are you thinking about?, I'm favouring the Ctek D250S Dual and SmartPass after getting some good advice from Mike7

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi mate, I've decided on the redarc bcdc1225 but the d250s also looks good! I plan to combine all this with the NASA BM-1 compact battery monitor as well. I'll post up some pics after panels are fitted.

Cheers.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi Dave,
I hope to have panels on Friday, and maybe another week or 2 before I have them fitted. Jayco don't give you much option on what you get and I wanted to research before deciding. All depends on what you intend to do as far as free camp, maybe Jayco's options might suit you but I didn't know enough about solar at the time. If you don't get solar fitted then go with pre wire and when you decide on your setup you will save buying online.

The specs look ok on the 120w panels that I ordered....2x120w panels (25y warranty) 2 Y adaptors and a 5 metre extension cable for $377.90 delivered incl insurance, just need to add regulator!

Cheers.
Looks like a real bargain, Burnsy. Even with regulator and fitting you'll come out way ahead of Jayco's price.
To be fair I'm very pleased with what I've got and they work a treat.

Reactions: Burnsy

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Just an update, I've fitted the redarc 1225 in van and the panels go on Monday after the pandas first service :clap2:. I'll post some pics early next week. We're on power for Easter but I think I'll switch off at pole......just cause I can! :)

cheers.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Just an update, I've fitted the redarc 1225 in van and the panels go on Monday after the pandas first service :clap2:. I'll post some pics early next week. We're on power for Easter but I think I'll switch off at pole......just cause I can! :)

cheers.
Yeah, way to go, Burnsy. Doing our bit for the environment. I've got carbon offset gas cylinders as well. Helps when defending the carbon footprint of the tug and the 18 footer.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all,
Here's a few pics of my solar set up. The 120w panels are mounted on roof rack style aluminium bars that screw down into the wall section (aluminium) so no holes in roof. In one pic you can see how wavy the roof actually is, making it look like the panels are bending the bars but that's the way Jayco do the full height vans, so makes it hard to stick angle brackets to it. Very happy so far with result, I was still getting 13v to batteries at 6.45pm :)

Picture 949.jpg Picture 950.jpg Picture 952.jpg Picture 953.jpg

Reactions: skippy and gwadir

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi Burnsy,​
excellent job mate, I was considering using Sikaflex 291 and glueing to roof, do you reckon this is a better way to do it? Also where did you get the bars from, they certainly look the goods, you shouldn't have too many problems with them.​
When you screwed down through the roof did you screw into the frame? if so were there any problems doing this?​
In picture 3 what are we looking at? It looks to be a solenoid of some description.​
Thanks​
Dave​

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Burnsy,​
excellent job mate, I was considering using Sikaflex 291 and glueing to roof, do you reckon this is a better way to do it? Also where did you get the bars from, they certainly look the goods, you shouldn't have too many problems with them.​
When you screwed down through the roof did you screw into the frame? if so were there any problems doing this?​
In picture 3 what are we looking at? It looks to be a solenoid of some description.​
Thanks​
Dave​

Thanks Dave,

The bars were made by a bloke who does aluminium pool fencing etc, they are just alloy RHS with alloy angle welded on the ends. They are screwed down into the wall section which has aluminium flat bar or a band if you like, which runs around the outside perimeter of the walls that you can't see, also sealed under and around each bracket end, no problems at all. With the Jayco full height vans (expandas) i don't think glueing angles on would be a good idea as the roof is made differently to the pop tops which are fairly flat. I got a shock when i first saw my roof as i was used to the roof on our 16' we had but this has lumps and bumps all over it as it's not glued to foam like the pop tops.

I know alot of members on here have used sika to stick the angles on for panels and all seems fine but i'm sure they have all been pop tops. In pic 3 i think you might be talking about my water pump, not ideal place to be near the electrics i know, maybe another mod!

Cheers.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Thanks Burnsy,

Good to know, it may have been that the threads I was reading were from people with pop-tops as you say, now to source aluminium RHS and angle, maybe a trip to Bunnings is in order. What size is the RHS? it looks to be about 50 x 50.

Good to know there is a strip to screw into at the top of the wall sections, really wish I had time to go down to Jayco to do the tour and see how the vans are made, I reckon it would be really interesting.

Ah water pump, o/k.

Thanks Burnsy

Dave

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Nice one Burnsy. Just like the factory job, only neater. Mine's got more Sikaflex! And I think you've saved well over $1k.
Like CD says no more power worries. Had the A/C fan running the other day in the caravan park when I eventually realized the mains power wasn't switched on (no microwave light). Electrical inspectors here at Murray bridge Showgrounds checking power boxes, circuits and tagging leads for a couple of hundred van and motorhomes, actually asked if I was actually connected. Now put fridge on A/C (normally we run it on gas out if habit) to get my money's worth. BTW felt quite smart in our 18 on a double site, until 11 tonne Swagman moved into site next to us.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Nice work Burnsey...

I have just sold my xantrex 240v charger and will be using the proceeds to get solar panel(s) and victron battery monitor this week.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I fitted the last piece of the puzzle this weekend for my battery/solar setup....the BM-1 Compact, very happy with results and it's good to know exactly what's going on. Here's some pics to show the different sreens/info it can display, these pics were not taken in series. I'm also able to see what each light or appliance draws in amps as they are switched on, 1 ceiling light with two 36led panels draws .4-.5amps and the 60L Waeco draws 4.5amp with compressor running.

Cheers.

Picture 972.jpg Picture 968.jpg Picture 971.jpg Picture 974.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thats awesome Burnsy, its a good way to monitor whats drawing what and easy to read too :rockon:

Does it also display power usage when plugged into 240v?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thats awesome Burnsy, its a good way to monitor whats drawing what and easy to read too :rockon:

Does it also display power usage when plugged into 240v?

Thanks mate! Haven't tried that yet but I'd say not as the shunt is wired in the negative line of the batteries, so I'm thinking it will only show discharge info when on battery power only. All those pics were taken with no mains on and solar charge but it will show amps in and time to charge from Jayco setek as this output goes through the shunt also. I'll try it anyway and see!

Now that I can easily tell how much appliances use I might do up a list......tv, pump, lights etc and let members know for a guide :)

Cheers.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks mate! Haven't tried that yet but I'd say not as the shunt is wired in the negative line of the batteries, so I'm thinking it will only show discharge info when on battery power only. All those pics were taken with no mains on and solar charge but it will show amps in and time to charge from Jayco setek as this output goes through the shunt also. I'll try it anyway and see!

Now that I can easily tell how much appliances use I might do up a list......tv, pump, lights etc and let members know for a guide :)

Cheers.
Very tidy finish, mate. That list would be a really useful guide.