Our 18-57-6

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I bet your right Burnsy. Jayco seem to use very long screws when they just don't need to. I reckon they try to use a 1 size fits all....

Would be interested in seeing your pics. Our van has had one wall in our shower redone and now has to have the other side done too. :( so i feel some of your pain.

Ants

Thank's mate, If Jayco have replaced one section before and now are going to do another tell them you want the walls to be in one piece as supplied originally. Jayco do it that way because it's quicker and easier but you end up with more joins and sealer, not a major issue but worth a try, that is of course if the poptop walls are the same as the full size vans....not sure!
PS. the repairer told me today my new floor has no cracks :)

Cheers.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey Burnsy
Thanks for the heads up on the walls. I will make sure of that. The first wall they did was on the side and it has not been cut and joined still one piece. Not sure how they managed that though.? We thought we would be able to reseal the interior wall and had a look and well that wasn't going to happen.

Looking at the glue / silicon down the inside of the wall that holds the bathroom wall on, looks to me like they glue it in upright which gives the glue a chance to settle downways... maybe they haven't heard of gravity? and this is what has caused our issue. The sheer volume of glue in the wall travelled down towards the middle and with the heat we have had, the upper part of the wall popped off. Wait and see. No leaks though as far as im aware :)

Good news to hear that there are no cracks in your new floor.

Cheers
Ants

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Well my 40mm PVC fittings turned up today....looks like I'm plumbing this weekend....and then I'll mow! I ended up ordering a 38mm I'd black sullage hose to go with the bigger plumbing from Caravans Plus.

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Jas, I ordered 8 meters and will cut up into 5 equal lengths and join with rubber coupling as required.

Cheers.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Well my 40mm PVC fittings turned up today....looks like I'm plumbing this weekend....and then I'll mow! I ended up ordering a 38mm I'd black sullage hose to go with the bigger plumbing from Caravans Plus.

Cheers.

Remember Burnsy, if you can try and get air into the drain. Tip a 2L bottle of coke upside down and watch it slowly pour out, then punch a hole in it and try it again. For those Victorian beer drinkers, "shotgun principle".

Plumber Geoff

Reactions: Burnsy

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks Geoff, I know what your saying, I'm thinking the system might get air from the shower or the hand basin?

Cheers.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
If you can get air in near the sink or towards the front, that will make a big improvement. Are you going to run 40 as close as you can to the fixture outlets? Ie, inside the cupboards, actually i think 32 might come close without re drilling timber as the penetrations are quite large.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
If you can get air in near the sink or towards the front, that will make a big improvement. Are you going to run 40 as close as you can to the fixture outlets? Ie, inside the cupboards, actually i think 32 might come close without re drilling timber as the penetrations are quite large.

Hi mate, I was just going to run the 40 from under floor, I don't think a small length of 25mm plastic tube will matter as the drain holes In sink etc are only small.

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
My van goes in tomorrow a week behind but at least it's going. Good thing too, when I went in this arvo to get a few things out, the shower wall lining has come away badly, obviously doesn't like the afternoon sun (that side faces west). I hope it sticks better this time!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Yeah same! I might try leaving the top hatches open a bit with the cover on as it gets bloody hot inside.

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Jeez Burnsy, I have just read through this whole thread, what a saga! I hope it all finally gets sorted out for you to your satisfaction and you can enjoy your van.

As a side note, we went down to Geelong Jayco when we were looking for our van, and weren't very impressed with the customer service. It was 3.30 on a Saturday arvo and they were too concerned with closing up the vans so they could go home! We had been to Bayswater Jayco previously and the sales fellow spent nearly two hours with us. Bayswater Jayco got our sale based on their customer service. We can only hope we don't have the same dramas you have had!

Cheers
Shane

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
G'day Shane,
I havn't heard of anybody on this forum unlucky enough to get a cracked floor in their shower yet and hopefully mine will be the only one. I dropped my van off yesterday morning and ensuite has been stripped out, will get some pics today. Glad you found good service at Bayswater!

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Day1 Shower Repair

The entire ensuit has been stripped out....not much to see here as they use ply to cover the walls for the lining to stick to. I can now confirm the walls are in two pieces and joined in the back left corner. Notice in one shot the joiner in the hot water pipe, Jayco must of been 2" short, this was the pipe that leaked, evidently from a saw cut. The white strips on the walls are remnants of old glue.

Picture 777.jpg Picture 784.jpg

I was showed the wall linings and how the adhesive didn't stick well at all which is why the walls bubble, there was hardly any adhesive on the back of the walls, the adhesive they use is called "Tool Box" glue. They will use sikaflex to glue new walls back on which is what Jayco has recommended so that raises the question, why don't they use sika in the factory?

I was also shown the floor which i thought is pretty well built but the way it's put in is not so good. In the pics you can see how the section of floor that the toilet sits on is higher than the shower floor area, it steps up about 40mm. Jayco only use screws through the sides to support this (you can see screw holes in pics) and there is nothing underneath to take the weight of a person sitting on the toilet. These sorts of things don't make sense to me, the repairer is putting some timber strips underneath before the new floor goes in, the timber could be glassed in at factory!

Picture 780.jpg Picture 781.jpg

Picture 782.jpg

I also had the chance to have a look at the hand basin set up as this has been a issue with alot of members (slow drain). The pic shows the back of the unit (basin behind at top) no hoses actually bend when you fold up the basin, there is just a catchment section which is then drained via these hoses, so probably just bad design.

Picture 787.jpg

Day 2.

New floor in and walls to follow!

Picture 783.jpg