New tow vehicle - which one? Brought a Jeep GC in the end.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
This is one topic that polarises opinion ...... :)
The advantage we found with the long range tanks on our recent trips is you get more of a choice where to get fuel and that can save $$
An example of this is we were able to get into, and out of, kings canyon and Uluru but not have to pay the inflated price at those places for fuel and refuel at Erldunda at 45c/l less. That choice of refuel stop saved us about $60 and this was repeated a few times on that trip. We have also hit some pretty strong headwinds at times and it's comforting to know i have a safety margin when fuel consumption jumps.
I 'm not knocking the Jeep at all, and the sales numbers say they are doing something right. If you spend a few bob more and add an extra fuel tank to the jeep like @Matty4 suggests I would like that as well.
I just like the factory long range tank of the Prado. The choice is not easy if you don't have a particularly strong "like" for one make. They both have their positives. Good luck with the decision @Neil . The good thing is what ever decision you make it will be the right one.... :)

HM

Last edited:
Reactions: relgate

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep another big fan of long range tanks. Besides the saving as HM suggested. Just gives you more flexibility as to where and when you can fill up. At Burke a F/wit in a camper home pulled in from the wrong direction blocking the servo, with the range I just drove on to Walgett! I had 850-1100kms towing range with the Pajero and it was excellent. The cruiser is closer to 850-900km. I am definitely looking at the replacement sub giving me another 30 litres.

Reactions: Holden_man

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
I also think a fairer comparison is the GXL vs Laredo. These are essentially both the base spec private buyers cars.
Just using the official websites for pricing the Jeep comes in $15300 cheaper, no contest really.
Agreed but I also want to spend up to the limit of my lease amount which is why I'm looking at the limited.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
As for tyres the Khumos on mine are at 40K and just about had it, looking at Toyo's at the moment but will have to adjust my driving style as these are fairly expensive.
So based on 25k per year, 4 years = 100k I would get away with two sets (8) of tires based on 40k per set.
Now the guess is if I can make a set of tires last 40k ;)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
mate, go the BFG All Terrains - KO's - you pay extra, but they last longer.....
(last set on my GQ did 85K before I sold the car - and still had plenty of tread - and they are still on it)
I have had them on most of my 4wd's, at the moment I am running the Micky Thompson ATZ 's
they dont have the life of the BFG's
I will be going back to them.....

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
@Neil
Have you decided on tyres? Does the prado still come with Dunlop AT20's? If so, IMHO (as my new Pajero came with them) steer clear of them. They are terrible in the wet. I can't wait to wear them out and replace them.

Also, there is certainly a much bigger range (and cheaper) of tyres for 17" wheels than there is for a larger rim. Mine are 18's and its gonna cost me

Father in law just put Maxxis At700's on his Prado and loves them. But early days so far still less then 6k on them.

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Been away the last 10 days Easter/ANZAC break which was awesome but now getting to the business end of the new car.
This question is for the Jeep lads, the Limited I had been chasing with Quadra Lift got sold while I was away, another dealer told me that the Quadra Lift is only an advantage for off road work not towing.
Sales ploy or true? o_O

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Sales ploy. I love it. Works a treat with my van.
Also drops on the highway to provide better handling so gets used most days.
Cheers
Andrew.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
They are right in that it's intended use is more for offroad use, although if you want it for offroad I'd get the coil suspension and upgrade with a lift.

But it does have it's advantages for towing in keeping the vehicle level and makes things easier for hitching and unhitching.

I'm not sure if the coil suspension is self levelling, perhaps someone else can clarify.

I love the QL and glad I got it. My wife wouldn't let me get a lift kit so this is the next best thing.

However I have heard some say you're probably better off getting an Overland than optioning a Limited with QL.

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Yeah I'm a bit stuck between the three models.
Laredo I don't spend enough, Limited all good, Limited with QL a stretch but doable, Overland spending to much.o_O
Trouble is Limited's with QL are few and far between.:(

Last edited:

Patto

Jul 14, 2013
Perth
I have the limited with QL. Wasn't going to get QL, but there was a mix up with colours at delivery time so QL was included for free. I use the park setting every day, helps getting in and out. Also helps with hitching/unhitching as you don't need to wind the jokey wheel up and down too much. As dealer said, offroad 1 & 2 only needed when going offroad so I've only used a couple of times. Suspension leveling is pretty cool and my 16.49-3 sits nice and level without WDH.

Reactions: bigcol

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Hi @Neil apparently the coil suspension is self levelling (I know I sound like a dick but I put airbags in and it never lowers the bum) all I can say the shockies are going to a place far far away because I am sick and tired of the clucking and my dealer wont do jack for me on this. Don't worry the MY14 must have different shocks because they don't carry on like the earlier ones.
Wether or not you go for a limited or QL do yourself a favour and get leather, the cloth trim is crap (I may have mentioned this a few times before) Don't worry if I replaced the car tomorrow it would be with another Jeep, we love the thing, in fact I actually had a dealer price it for changeover to the latest model but i would lose too much.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
What's the plated ATM on yours? This will give you your answer.

A totally unoptioned one will have an ATM of 2400kg (tare of 1925kg plus 475kg payload allowance) according to the current specs on Jayco's website. This is under the max towing capacity of the Prado at 2500kg.

Start adding options afterwards and you start eating into your payload allowance rather quickly I would imagine.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
If want to have the van in my possession with the ATM known before I got the car though.

I tow mine with a Territory (2300 kg) with an ATM of 2280 kg. I had the van first!

Jayco's published Tares are normally well under what they usually end up being once the van is built!

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
The ATM on our 17.56 is 2357kg.
Decision was made today peoples and the Jeep it is.
Managed to sell the Kluger so didn't have to rely on the trade in. Gunna be sad to see the Kluger go cause it has been an awesome car, done everything I have asked of it.
So just have to sort lease papers next week and hope to have my ass in it the week after.

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Went for the limited, no options as mentioned trying to keep cost of car down to keep cost of least down.
Was also limited in colour choice to what was around as the limited is limited in availability (yes I am funny)
So our colours we were chasing were granite, black, max steel and we ended up with black as it was in stock.
I'll get a factory toe bar fitted and I'll fit the same elec brakes that I fitted to the Kluger

Reactions: twscoot and bigcol