New tow vehicle - which one? Brought a Jeep GC in the end.

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Well peoples need to update the Kluger due to the van. Love the Klugers but unfortunately the 2T is not gunna cut it and found out today that Toyota still have the skirt on when it comes to the 2014 Kluger and keeping it at 2t.:baby:

So we looked at today and yes I have a budget due to this being my novated lease work car.
All figures are prior any discounts as we only stared looking no dealing yet,
- GXL Prado $70,000
- Grand Cherokee Limited $66,000
- New Pathfinder STL with option pack $59,000
- VRX Pajero $59,000

3 have 7 seats, 3 are diesel, 3 are genuine 4wds, 3 have leather :der:
After just today I think my current ranking is Jeep, Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi
Any thoughts are welcome as I'm still in Kluger land:lalala:

Last edited:

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Obviously I'd say get the Jeep, however considering that you are going to lease you might want to consider your resale value, so the Toyota might be better.
But for the Limited your getting a lot more features than a GXL Prado.

In fact I have just gotten a GXL Prado for work and my Laredo has more features and is a lot nicer to drive. Why not go the Laredo? $10,000 cheaper than the Limited. If you want leather you can get the dealer to do it for $2000.

Reactions: blacky and twscoot

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Yeah based on dollars for equipment level the Jeep and Nissan have it over the Toyota.
I've always been a Holden and Toyota Man but I need 2.5t towing and would love to keep leather like I have now as well as other things.
Resale is a consideration I have also been thinking about so it will also count towards the final decision.

Last edited:

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
All I can say is all are better value for money over the Prado, and check the tow rating (fine print) very carefully especially Nissan, I know nothing of the new (just released) 2014 model other than I'm not fussed on it, the previous models had a sliding ball weight rating e.g. more on the ball, less in the tug and vice versa

Pajero 2500kg/250kg on ball 2500 to 3000kg/180kg max ball

Good luck

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Do you need 7 seats. We had a 7 seat AWD Kluger and needed to change for the Caravan and safe towing etc. We didn't need a 7 seater so we got a.................BT50 twin cab ute with a canopy. Great family car actually as well as a great work car. They do leather as well.

Others to think about could be the Izuzu Mux 7 seater (gets good reviews and looks good) or the Colorado 7.

Will you upgrade your caravan later? Maybe allow for that if you are thinking that way.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Second vote for a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Very car-like if that's what you are used to.
I put nappa leather in mine (it also has Quadralift and the OffRoad pack - LSDiff, Bash Plates) but you don't need these to tow up to 3500kg.

Reactions: blacky

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
What about a awd diesel territory 2700kg towing and very good on fuel we tow a 20 ft expanda average between 12 to 15 lts and around 8 on tr

Reactions: Bonners

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I thought a photo hooked up might help...
Jeep and Starcraft for Web.jpg

S&k

Jan 27, 2014
Cairns
Land Rover for sure. Heaps of pulling power and top quality finish. I guess thats why they keep winning 4wd awards.

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Thanks for the feed back peoples.
Yeah bang for buck can't go past the Jeep at the moment but previous history and resale are a concern.
I think the Prado is as safe as houses but for the dollars I feel it's a bit under done.
I have heard the same about the Nissan so will look into it further.
And the Mitsubishi, no offence is a little old.
Land rover which would be awesome is most likely to be out of the budget.
Utes are a distant second option when all else fails but are still an option.
Also no offence but I have had ford company cars in the past and did no favours to reliability so not likely to go down the that road.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Looks the goods. How long have you had it?
6 months. About to embark on a trip to Bourke. Great around town as we are school holiday travellers predominately. Super efficient and stacks of go. I also love the Disco 4's but it was another $20k+.

Reactions: Neil

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
If value for money (like me) is a big issue, don't discount the Pajero.
I actually miss the toughness (read less car like) nature of my 2008 VRX 25th Anniversary NS Pajero which for the main was a great tow vehicle for 5 years. 7 seats too.
A $28K trade in after 5 years on a vehicle that cost me (street price) in the mid $50k's with bullbar and tow bar was sensational.
The NT Pajero is a well sorted car with a five year warranty that can't be beaten. Street prices are very competitive and they are a solid towing platform. Photo for effect!
001.JPG

And the Territory (2007) prior to that wasn't too bad either! Chewed the petrol but it was a great touring car. Quiet and very comfortable. (Sorry - couldn't help myself but had to add the photo for completeness!).

Territory.jpg

Reactions: Bonners and Neil