New tow vehicle - which one? Brought a Jeep GC in the end.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
If you like the inclusions of the Limited then why are you considering a Prado GXL? You'll get less than the Laredo.

You're being greedy in wanting a Limited.

You should be able to get a Limited for $60k including a towbar. That's what I would expect to pay.

I agree with @twscoot and the quadralift suspension is great for towing.

Reactions: Neil

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
If you like the inclusions of the Limited then why are you considering a Prado GXL? You'll get less than the Laredo.

You're being greedy in wanting a Limited.

You should be able to get a Limited for $60k including a towbar. That's what I would expect to pay.

I agree with @twscoot and the quadralift suspension is great for towing.
I understand what you're saying but as mentioned some of what I've been looking at is price.
Lets not dismiss the Prado it is still a very capable car but as per Toyota it is under spec compared to its competitors in the same price range. So far I have drive away prices just under $60k for both. I also have a price for a GXL just under $62k with leather to all 7 seats, but yes no seat heater, etc, etc.
It's a hard juggling act as I'm also not really comparing apples for apples but I do really appreciate all your comments as it helps me out heaps.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I remember touring around Scotland in 2005 in a Golf series IV
couldnt work out why the aircon was freezing my face, but my body was sweating - then I found the switches for the Seat Heaters......
quick smartly turned them off, and removed the fuse, just in case my missus had a sense of humor

probably fantastic in snow 365 months of the year, but I feel a waste of time and effort (and something else to go wrong)

seat heater....... bahhhhh.......

to each their own I suppose....................

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
@Neil don't get too wound up with the extras ie leather, heated seats, entertainment stuff, yes its nice to have but you have to ask yourself "do I really need it" I just wish we had leather, I am seriously thinking of having it put in the Jeep cloth is absolute crap, just couldn't see 10K extra worth it. And as far as a GPS, I just use my iPhone which is rare, head north the water is on the right, head south the water is on the left etc.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@DRW , I know what your saying, but with re-sale - factory fitted bling is worth more than the aftermarket of the same stuff.....
SatNavs etc
personally, I would rip out the factory SatNav (like I did on my 100series) to fit a far better aftermarket
but
if that had already been done before, I dont think I would have been interested in it - as the thought (mine) would be to get an Auto Sparkie to go through the car (Like I always do) and remove wiring not required, and re-wire how I like it

as I said - having it all factory is better, because you know someone hasn't botched something up.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
@Neil

Drive them...
free-random-smileys-367.gif
then
Price Them....
0037.gif

Choose One that ticks all your boxes :juggle: there probably isn't really the perfect combo of car as we would all be driving BT's if there was :D

At the end of the day if we all bought cars on the, what could go wrong scenario we wouldn't buy any thing ;)
Yes the best part is the research (half the fun) but it can also be your nemesis as you can let it sway your decision into something you may not actually really want at the end of the day :thumb:

Happy Times mate :whoo:
:tea:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I know what your saying @cruza driver
a wee bit late now, but when I am asked what sort of 4WD people should get, I always suggest the following
get a piece of paper
write down EVERYTHING you want to be able to do:
tow a 7T van
drive on the beach
etc

put that piece of paper away.
then get another piece of paper, and write every 4WD you can think of:
Suzuki Vitara 3 door
Series 1 Landrover
etc

then get the first piece of paper, and then cross off ALL the 4WD that wont do 95-100% of what you want on your second piece of paper

whats left not crossed off, is what to look at
- price (go back in years until price is right)
- size (go up or down the models until you get the size you like)

etc

cheers

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I understand what you're saying but as mentioned some of what I've been looking at is price.
Lets not dismiss the Prado it is still a very capable car but as per Toyota it is under spec compared to its competitors in the same price range. So far I have drive away prices just under $60k for both. I also have a price for a GXL just under $62k with leather to all 7 seats, but yes no seat heater, etc, etc.
It's a hard juggling act as I'm also not really comparing apples for apples but I do really appreciate all your comments as it helps me out heaps.
I have a 07 vx prado leather and heaps of air bags I brought it for the safety factor of these cars it also has power seats which don't go back as far as cloth seats this I don't like a bit more back and I would be happy and ur leg rubs on the side of the seat getting in and out wearing out that part of the leather seat very quickly I have noticed , 106000 ks its all good so far apart from the seat not going back far enough great car wife loves to drive it easy to get kids in and out just changed all springs front brakes and air bags put in rear going to Toyota for wheel alignment 70 bucks I thought was good taking it in 2 weeks

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
@cruza driver

a wee bit late for information on what 4WD to look for - as @@Neil had already made his choices of which 3........
Is it ever to late to respond to a thread :noidea: and it was originally 4 4wds in the op. Yes I could have commented on the Pajero as we have a 2012 Pajero but @Neil already expressed his thoughts on this particular vehicle earlier on after a test drive. And Yes I have followed this thread from the start as I do all threads even if I don't post anything.
I know what your saying @cruza driver
a wee bit late now, but when I am asked what sort of 4WD people should get, I always suggest the following
get a piece of paper
write down EVERYTHING you want to be able to do:
tow a 7T van
drive on the beach
etc

put that piece of paper away.
then get another piece of paper, and write every 4WD you can think of:
Suzuki Vitara 3 door
Series 1 Landrover
etc

then get the first piece of paper, and then cross off ALL the 4WD that wont do 95-100% of what you want on your second piece of paper

whats left not crossed off, is what to look at
- price (go back in years until price is right)
- size (go up or down the models until you get the size you like)

etc

cheers
Isn't this very very similar to what I posted but not the writing it all down bit in regards to choosing one that ticks all the boxes for your requirements :nod:

Sorry if this is a bit off topic @Neil I guess a bit like heated seats in a Golf in Scotland really :whistle:

@Neil let us know what you decide on mate :thumb:

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Lads I have defiantly done all the above, kicked the tires, weight up the 7/5 seat difference, Jeep not have the best reputation (from past history), Prado having best resale at the moment, bang for buck, budget that i have to spent on a novated least, etc.
I has basically come down to two, the Jeep GC Limited and the Prado GXL. This is basically based on the fact that both will do what I need and both are around the $60k make to make it work for my lease costs.
The problem i have now is that the wife likes the Prado and i like the Jeep :fencing:

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Lads I have defiantly done all the above, kicked the tires, weight up the 7/5 seat difference, Jeep not have the best reputation (from past history), Prado having best resale at the moment, bang for buck, budget that i have to spent on a novated least, etc.
I has basically come down to two, the Jeep GC Limited and the Prado GXL. This is basically based on the fact that both will do what I need and both are around the $60k make to make it work for my lease costs.
The problem i have now is that the wife likes the Prado and i like the Jeep :fencing:
Yep well all I've got to say @Neil is congrats on the new Prado... :)

Last edited:

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
The only other thing I could think to offer is now that you've narrowed it down to those 2, try and take both for another test drive with your van attached and all the family in the car, then see how YOU like driving each one.
You will be the one driving it whilst towing and there will be a difference between the two.

Reactions: Antman and bigcol

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
The only other thing I could think to offer is now that you've narrowed it down to those 2, try and take both for another test drive with your van attached and all the family in the car, then see how YOU like driving each one.
You will be the one driving it whilst towing and there will be a difference between the two.
None of the dealerships (2 off) have had any with tow bars on them.