New tow vehicle - which one? Brought a Jeep GC in the end.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
I meant the bullbar kills the good looks. Makes it look like a Prado...:behindsofa:

You can still get out there without the bullbar. But each to their own.
A Prado?? Guess I'll have to remove it tomorrow ............... Not happy........
As an aside the last time I was out that way with the Disco 3 we hit an emu at 100k on the way between Tibooburra and Bourke........hence the decision to fit the bar..........

Reactions: DRW and mfexpanda

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
@twscoot I've read that the ARB b/bar tow points are for towing only and not for snatching.[/QUOTE]

Correct. But it is a proper tow point unlike the screw in towing eye.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Funny isn't it, who would have thought a few years ago people would be raving about Jeeps? I used to hate them back in the day when ever I had to work on one (and Fiat's) but then again I was a Holden fan until they bought out the commodores, guess times change

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
@Neil congrats on your decision mate, can't wait to see your piccys. :)

@twscoot - I agree, get a bar. There are a lot of roos, emus etc out there. We have been fortunate enough to never hit one in all the KMS we have done but its cheap security in the scheme of things. I saw a white Jeep the other day with a colour coded ARB bar and had to look twice. I thought it look pretty good. If i see it again I will take a pic.

@Bank of Dad hard question about the Ranger v the Jeep. They are really two different setups and what i mean is one is a dual cab and the other isn't. Personally I don't like dual cabs as even if you get a Canopy, you can never keep the dust out of them. Jeep would be my option out of those two. :)

Reactions: Bank of Dad

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Thanks gents, I'm sure I'll be happy with the choice.
Now onto the next item so I can tow the van, tow bar and electric brakes.
-Do I go with factory toe bar? the last two that I have used on the Kluger have been Hayman Recce.
-I am going to use a remote mount elec brake setup similar to the redarc, is it true that the GC has the wiring setup for the elec brakes already and I just need to connect into that rather than running wires?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
The factory Mopar (Best Bars) does the job. If your using a HR WDH you will have to grind the corners to allow fitment into the receiver. Mopar allows retention of rear tow hook and long range fuel tank.

Brake controller will have to be done from scratch. No plug and play for Aussie models.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
As @BigSkiddy says, you have 2 options with the towbar, the genuine Mopar (made by Best Bars in NZ) or the Hayman Reese one.
The Mopar bar will cost more but will retain the rear towhook (no biggie IMO as you just use the towbar with a recovery hitch in the receiver if needed) and will allow the fitment of the LRA aux fuel tank, if you ever need/want one.
The HR bar won't allow the fitment of the aux tank.

I would suggest having a very good look at a proportional brake controller like the Tekonsha P3. They are a far superior brake controller to the Redarc and the like.
Yes they are bulkier but they are a true set and forget brake controller.

The one time you forget to turn up the Redarc is when you'll have to jump on the brakes in an emergency and the van won't help you stop at all, pretty scary thought really....

There is no factory harness for a brake controller in the Jeep. You'll have to run all the wires. Just make sure you don't pick up the brake wire from the brake switch.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Hi @Neil above posts make a lot of sense, with the MY14 model the cubby has an SD card slot where the others didn't which can be a pain to mount the brake controller. I have seen pics of the controller mounted on the dash with velcro to a dash mat, mainly the P3, mine is in the cubby but I intend to mount the UHF remote on the dash mat, you will need a dash mat also (IMO) as the big black dash radiates a lot of heat, go the black one on evil bay from WA we went grey and it reflects on the windscreen a little but reduces the cabin head dramatically. Reading this it sounds like an order, its not only my opinion lol

Reactions: Neil

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
My P3 in the cubby. Hole drilled in far right corner for wires. Controller wedged in with foam.
Blue box below it is break away battery monitor. You will need one of these also if over 2 tonne (NSW only).
Jayco won't let you take the van if not fitted.
downloadfile.jpeg

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
The factory Mopar (Best Bars) does the job. If your using a HR WDH you will have to grind the corners to allow fitment into the receiver. Mopar allows retention of rear tow hook and long range fuel tank.

Brake controller will have to be done from scratch. No plug and play for Aussie models.
Bloody Australian wiring, almost like a Toyota :D
Why would they have it in the states and not here :crazy:
Anyway quote for Haymen Recce fitted $1,170, quoted for factory $1,400 - HR dealer said that their bars do not affect the warranty and if the Jeep dealer says so then HR could take them to court. Thoughts?
Brake controller I think I'll look into as I didn't mind the red arc style.

DRW

May 29, 2013
go the genuine bar, they fit really well and are made in NZ (a poor little country to our east, sometimes knows as far east Australia) they are a good looking thing, and with the Kiwi's having a huge chip on their shoulder you can rest assured they will be made well for bragging rights . Redarc I would question, they work okay but are not proportional

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
I just like how compact the remote head style units are, this is the one I installed in the Kluger
20140226_090346.jpg

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I got the mopar one as part of the deal I negotiated. The only thing against the Mopar one is the reciever is slightly unparallel. Others owners have noticed this and it could affect the WDH. I don't use a WDH so don't care.
I'd just go the HR if cheaper for you.

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Well one sleep away now, work messed around signing the lease paperwork so couple of extra days.
Scored a complete new genuine mopar tow bar off ebay for $600. Dealer bar $1,400 fitted, HR $1,170 fitted.
Order the same elec brake controller that I used in the kluger as per picture above.
Just waiting for remote brake away display to turn up.
Looks like this Sunday is going to be a busy day between tow bar, elec brakes, brake away display and anderson plug

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Well one sleep away now, work messed around signing the lease paperwork so couple of extra days.
Scored a complete new genuine mopar tow bar off ebay for $600. Dealer bar $1,400 fitted, HR $1,170 fitted.
Order the same elec brake controller that I used in the kluger as per picture above.
Just waiting for remote brake away display to turn up.
Looks like this Sunday is going to be a busy day between tow bar, elec brakes, brake away display and anderson plug

Here's a checklist that may help with your pickup. Good luck.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/my14-qa-checklist-74897.html