Interior Gas inside van

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Thanks for the advice HM and I am glad to hear that things are working out for your parents. Good luck with everything!

Whilst we all are in the quest to install Gas Detectors I do have a question for the experts here....

Is it safe to install the detector near gas appliances? (I know it would defeat the purpose otherwise but I am thinking would the electrical in the detector itself could trigger an explosion if there is a Gas leak)?

(Sorry if this sounds like a silly question) :baby:

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
the problem with a Gas / Co detector is it needs to be fitted at floor level close to the Gas source........

on the roof is no good....

damn happy they are ok, I hope Mum is not too baddly shaken up mate
Well... guess I'll have Mr W moving our detector tonight!!!! Thank you for the warning :thumb:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Received my LPG Detector this morning also.
Location instructions were similar to @Holden_man 's above.
15 - 30mm (6" - 12") above the floor.
As close to the Gas Appliance as possible but no more than 4M (13') away from the Appliance.

Picked up the CO Detector from the Big Green Shed last night so looks like I have some work to do tomorrow ;)

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Is it safe to install the detector near gas appliances? (I know it would defeat the purpose otherwise but I am thinking would the electrical in the detector itself could trigger an explosion if there is a Gas leak)?

The detector should go off before it gets to a explosive level other wise it would be pointless.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Whilst we all are in the quest to install Gas Detectors I do have a question for the experts here....

first off - we are NOT experts (X being an unknown quantity and a "spert" is a drip under pressure)
merely semi informed potential dangerous to our selves kind of people, who rely on others thoughts to aimlessly bumble our way through life.........

(its a Joke son...........................)

righto, got that bit out of the way
now, the way the Gas detectors are designed, they have an alarm that goes off at a set level of "PPM" - parts per Million
or a % of gas / air
they are usually set at or around 8 - 12 % (I think someone said) - which in a confined place dont sound too bad - but it still is
8% of the air in your Van is not very much
8% of the air in a sealed sea container is alot
just to put it into perspective, imagine standing 40 feet away from your lit BBQ and the alarm going off...............
any way

they are designed to pick up the small amount in the air, and set the alarm off - which will give you time to either run, or turn the gas off

but if you have it next to the joint that goes into your Oven, and it goes off - then you know you have a leak at that join

the power to run them, in the area they are, is not enough to ignite it - unless you leave the gas on, for a day or so, with the music blearing out and you cannot hear the alarm

as a side though

how many times have you seen someone pull up at a servo to get fuel, and be talking on the phone..........????
you have a far greater chance of Static Electric Spark from your clothes, than you do from a mobile phone

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Brought mine here, just check the amp rating on your RCD (mine was 16 but someone on here did have a 20) and then choose that size in the RCBO box.
http://www.safelec.com.au/store/p43/RCD/RVD-EMR.html
I went looking for the RVD devices assuming it was industry thing like the RCD and it turns out theres only the one, invented by Safelec. I came across a very long winded technical debate about the RVD merits on Grey Nomads Forum. If you want a brain bleed with the number of technical big words and concepts that make no sense to normal folk, along with the reasons why this thing is both the saviour of the modern world, and the prophet of doom ... click the link. Dont say I didn't warn you.

Reactions: Holden_man

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Well, it's official, the caravan has been written off as not repairable. The parents head off on the trip back to Qld tomorrow.
The van is being trucked to Adelaide for investigation into cause of the explosion by the insurance and SA Gov. Inspectors.

Some learnings from insurance....

If I can, I would like to say how great the Insurer RACQ have been. I have done all the dealings with RACQ to save mum and dad worrying about it, and they have been great. They assessed via the photos and mum and dad should have the money in the account within days. Unreal.
Dad set his value of insurance which has worked out ok, with them only slightly out of pocket. RACQ advised a lot of people under insure their vans, in dads case he would get the insured value or market value, which ever is lower. So the trap here is if you set the value to low, under the market value, that's what you get.
I will be putting a little more thought into insurance for the Panda. Dad added ESC to the van, but didn't itemise it, so it doesn't get included. Make sure every addition to the van gets itemised as it helps lift the market value at assessment time and then in a total loss situation you can get some money for those additions.

Jas

That's great and I think there is a LOT of old wives tales told about insurance companies. Recently after hail here the NRMA so far have been gold and have not at one point looked to cut corners or cost.

Yesterday sorting out an incident my 87 yo mum had back in March at a roundabout it was looking like she was uninsured due to it lapping by a month with the GIO. fortunately last night I found she had switched insurers but before that the GIO were offering for me to pay the months insurance premium and they would then process the claim!!!!

Doesn't sound like the scum sucking stories you here about insurance companies refusing to pay out because your dirty socks took the van over the plated GVM by 500grams does it!

I Am sure there are nasty insurance companies and I have even had a stoush once but overall I hear more good than bad tbh.

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
WHERE TO INSTALL GAS DETECTORS
This detector is UL® listed for installation in recreational
vehicles. Install this detector near sources of a potential
gas leak. Some potential sources are a furnace, water
heater, stove or oven. If potential sources of a gas leak are
in separated areas, MTI recommends installing a detector
in each area.
CAUTION: Propane is heavier than air. For propane gas
detection, install this detector no more then 20 inches off
the floor.

jas

Not that it should affect its performance and given its low voltage but fyi and if it ever becomes a requirment to have detectors UL certification has no compliance here (or never used to a few years ago)

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Does it have to match the RCD thats already in the van
I suppose its like putting a larger fuse in your car, you may be alright but it may burn to the ground as well, so I put the same size back in.
Also you have a 15amp inlet on the van so why would you put a smaller 10amp circuit breaker in?
If that's what your asking??

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I suppose its like putting a larger fuse in your car, you may be alright but it may burn to the ground as well, so I put the same size back in.
Also you have a 15amp inlet on the van so why would you put a smaller 10amp circuit breaker in?
If that's what your asking??
Yeah. Wondering what you were referring to with checking against whats already installed.

Dotcom7

May 11, 2014
Sydney NSW
Hi Holden Man,
Sorry to hear about what happened to your folks and thank god they are ok with just minor burns as it could have been lot worst. Hope they have speedy recovery and get back on the road as soon as possible.

It is better to be safe than sorry. When we bought our panda, one of the first things we did was to install a GAS/CO/LPG detector. I purchased it from ebay and the supplier is in UK. Refer below for the site:

It is a 12V unit and needs to be installed and tested. I have it in front of the Fridge and literally an inch above the floor as the CO is heavier than Air. It also has the capability of detecting LGP Gas. So IMO it is well rounded unit.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GAS-CO-L...200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9ceb0dc0

Hope this helps. Happy and safe camping!
I bought this same gas detector for my van as well it is a great unit.
Hard wired to 12v so plenty of battery life.