Interior Gas inside van

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
Geez mate. First and foremost, I am so glad that your folks are ok. Whether it is in the middle of the outback or just out of a major city, this must make you feel sick in the guts. Hopefully they are able to recover and get back to what I am sure that they enjoy in this great counrty of ours...albeit in another brand of caravan.

Reactions: Holden_man

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
dayam mate, I do hope they are ok
not too baddly shaken up

I know how you feel about being stuck miles away and not able to do anything immediately

I take it you are in contact with them via their Sat phone (best bit of kit EVER)

I hope they are all ok, and bounce back better than ever

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Wow thats scary, hope they are all ok and get help soon. Its hard when family are so far away when things go wrong.
Sat phone would have made it a bit easier and a lot less stressful than having not been able to contact you, not that any of what happened would be easy. Hope all get better soon and can continue there travels.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Geez @Holden_man that's a shock to the system. sounds like they will be okay once they get to calm down a bit? I think the manufacturer is irrelevant atm until its worked out what went wrong, The internet being the internet and all? Once you or somebody has worked out what has happened it could be good to know. yep I always thought a gas and CO alarm was a good idea too.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hoping they have help there by now and are doing well and hope your coping okay mate,it's hard being so far away.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Bloody hell HM I hope your mum and dad are ok and my thoughts are with you and the family. So hard being so far away when things happen like that.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
mate I feel for you

as has been said, anything we could or can do......... please let us know

also, thank you for the updates
scariest thing I could think of........... (apart from a few others)

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I looked at the last one on the list and was going to get it next time in the US. The others I have no info on but like that one that says supported in AU. Might pay to get another thread going about them as interest grows and keep this for info on getting updated in HMs folks, I reckon this is a wake call to do something.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We've been considering one from ABR Sidewinder in Brisbane as we've been very happy with 12v stuff we've sourced from them in the past. Quality is good, instructions are clear and after sales communication is excellent.

(Having trouble putting up link ...just google abr sidewinder gas detector)

I know nothing of how this stacks up but can recommend the source....no affiliation.

This accident is a very timely reminder as we've been guilty in the past of disconnecting batteries from smoke alarm when it wouldn't stop in the middle of the night.

This gas detector also operates on 9v batteries which I like as it means I might just remember to carry more spares and it seems to be user friendly in that I don't have to procrastinate before getting it wired in.

Best wishes for the recovery of parents and damaged van. It sure gives everyone a wake up call.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the problem with a Gas / Co detector is it needs to be fitted at floor level close to the Gas source........

on the roof is no good....

damn happy they are ok, I hope Mum is not too baddly shaken up mate

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Far out, very lucky. The amount of stress that sat phone has saved you and them its worth its weight in gold (although they nearly are anyway)
About 12 months back I came home from work and the house stunk like gas, and all was quite. Rushed around and opened the doors and windows closest to me then went to the stove top and found the gas on the smallest burner was on. Went into the bedroom and found the misses, the 2 year old and 3 month old were asleep in the bed (that was a scary sight until they woke up). I told her the stove was left on (they had been in bed for about 2 hours) and it stunk like gas and to get out side. On the way out I said cant you smell that? She couldn't smell a thing.
So it seems if you asleep or the leak is very minor you will not notice it building up.
I pulled that 6month old stove top out and put in a auto shut off style and always turn off the gas cylinder on the van before going to bed.
So you cant rely on you nose to save you, really a gas detector is the only way to go.
Hope all goes well for your parents Holden_man, will be a long trip back for them.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
the problem with a Gas / Co detector is it needs to be fitted at floor level close to the Gas source........

on the roof is no good....

damn happy they are ok, I hope Mum is not too baddly shaken up mate

Hey @bigcol I was wondering this before, so a combined Co2 and lpg detector may not be the best idea? Presuming if any Co2 is present it will rise?