Why oh why did I say August delivery?

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
So for those who are interested, some details of how the day went. Dial up warning, plenty of photos. (Is there actually dial up anymore?)

We got up nice and early, made French toast with ice cream, passion fruit, banana, ice cream and maple syrup for the kids. A consolation prize of sorts to make up for sending them to school while the better half and I picked up the van.

Dropped the kids off at school, and headed straight down to Geelong. I reset the trip computer to give a direct comparison between no van, towing the van. Unfortunately there was a roaring tailwind for the trip down there, meaning a headwind coming home.
The plus side is the Territory diesel managed 7.0 lt/100km. Best consumption I've managed.
image.jpg

We got down to Geelong a little early, so stopped off for coffee to kill some time. MIT have been something wrong with the clock in the cafe, as I've never seen a clock move so slowly before..........
Anyway, I figured 15 minutes early to Prestige Jayco would be Ok.
Once there it was straight into the handover. Bill from the garage gave us a very comprehensive tour both inside and outside. I got to say, even though there was a heap of information, he made it a really enjoyable experience.
I Even though i've spent an unhealthy amount of time over the past 5 months researching everything I can about Expandas, ( as can be seen from my 300 post count!) I learned a few new things. I post these separately.

Tour done, we hooked up and got the WDH all sorted. The back of the Territory only actually dropped about 10mm before levelling, but that was unloaded, so it will be interesting to see how it goes fully loaded.
A quick stop in the accessories store, and I picked up a water hose, sullage hose, and power lead, and it was time to head home.

By this stage, the wind had pickup up even more and was almost a full headwind.
Having never towed anything larger than my soft floor camper, I could certainly tell there was a hefty weight on the back, but you've got to love that diesel torque.
The wind did cause some movement, but nothing to worry about, and after resetting the trip computer before leaving Jayco, it was reading 21lt/100km by the time we left Geelong. Im sure we got caught at every red light, but it did give me ample opportunity to set the brake controller properly.

By the time I pulled into my driveway, the consumption had come back to 17lt/100km. Not too bad considering the headwind.

The driveway work I had recently done did the job, and I managed to reverse the van into place first go, I did basically need to jack knife it in to place, but very happy with the parking spot.
image.jpg

image.jpg

There's that other finger @Catp. Gadget.

Just unhook, and when it's time to take it out, it's straight up the driveway. No reversing!

Anyway, sorry for essay. Clearly I'm a little excited.

Last edited:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
that white territory and white van are a nice combo

Not wrong, its like a Jayco Catalogue photo (except the jackknifing).

Congrats @Soaring , great looking van!

Its nice when a plan comes together too. I had to build a new parking space for my van last year, i can swing it in, but many other people would struggle.

Reactions: Soaring

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Very nice but you wouldnt want to back back tooo far , looks like a bit of a drop ..
Yep, it's about a 1.5m drop, then the back fence and my neighbour's shed. I've just installed a couple of treated pine posts half out of the ground as wheel chocks so I know how far it needs to go back.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Congratulations Soaring. With my diesel Territory AWD I get between 13 and 15 per 100k on flat ground no head wind. With a little up slope and head wind I was at 17 - 18 per 100. Similar to you. Currently towing a Discovery fully loaded around 1500 kg+

Enjoy your new toy.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Sat - was normal kids basketball (2 games) and dancing. Cleaned up the pergola area from the horrendous winds we had Friday night, then dinner guests.

Sun - was a slow start then off to Bunnings for some supplies (sighted @Xpandafan ) ,then drop middle boy to party then off home alone to do some chores. Mrs Pace and other kids were at another party. I got stuck into laying new flooring in the en suite, was insulated lino. Looks good, pleased with result. Now all are home and time for family dinner.