Which tow vehicle

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Hey guys.
I need to update my tug and I am not sure which way to go.
The van is a starcraft 22.68-1 which has an ATM of 3000kg
I am considering the turbo diesel 100 series cruiser (which my mechanic recommends) or the 200 series turbo diesel.
I have been told that the 200 uses more fuel when towing due to the extra cylinders.
Has any one upgraded from the 100 to the 200 and what are their thoughts.

Any input welcome.

I am selling my 100 series petrol crusier.

Thanks in advance
Phil

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
This has been drawn out to the enth degree and could rehash a grand debate for a Friday night forumite input/ reading. Suggest do a search within the forum location you have posted this thread and you will find a lot of opinions to suit your needs.

Perhaps you can select a dual cab ute for future related needs OR go for another wagon type tug. Each to their own. Enjoy the write ups.

Pace.

Reactions: Drover

homerJ

Aug 30, 2014
Not suggesting any particular vehicle however keep in mind that fuel use is not as big a factor as many others in the overall running costs of the vehicle. I would grab a V8 petrol cruiser second hand before a diesel. Big $$ to be saved over the TD.

Have fun. Buying a new tug is fun!

Sorry - edit - just saw you got the 200 LOL

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
my father toured around Australia in a V6 Pajero for several years, and before that it was a V6 Pathfinder

horses for courses

to start the re-hash, as @Pace said

what sort of towing will you be doing.............?????
long distance
every 2nd or 3rd weekend away
Christmas & Easter Hols only.................

that is how you work out if a diesel or a petrol is for you

4WD mag did a comparison of a 100 series petrol V8 & Diesel & an 80 series petrol & diesel a couple of years ago
I think on average usage, with just Christmas & Easter Hols it came out at about $100 savings over 2 years

with the Diesel

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
After 2 1/2 years of ownership I don't regret the 200T/D one bit and haven't seen anything to drag me away. The 100 was a great vehicle. The 200 is better in just about all areas on and off road. I am sure if fuel consumption is paramount you would keep std size tyres keep it set to exonomy, don't put on a roof rack etc and drive sensibly and the return would be impressive. I have seen 9.5 when my learner son cruised it at 90km to Canberra on the freeway. But just like I didn't buy a sports bike to commute. I didn't buy a TT cruiser to drive like a Camry.

Here's a good senario. You are the first rig towing behind a fuel tanker at the overtaking lane and all the cars behind are busting to get past, leaving you to run out of time before the lane ends to get past the tanker. You can
A. Watch the economy gauge and sit there
B open her up lead the charge past the tanker as if you are just one of the other cars behind you?

Suppose it depends on how you wanna tow? I often cruise along at 90 enjoying my time and the scenery and sometimes I wanna get somewhere quicker, the 200 gives me both options. As long as people aren't holding others up I have no issue with how people wanna tow or drive themselves.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Nav2.jpg
D40 550 v Landcruiser twin turbo V8,
10% higher power to weight ratio (with only one turbo),
10% better fuel economy,
50% higher cargo

vroom vroom

Ill wait here till you Google it ... ha
(all the cruiser drivers are frantically checking) ..... (now I've said that, they're not .... but they will)

We got'em on the run @bigcol

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Bahahahahhahhaha @ Crusty181 , I would love to see the figures then for a "Colorado" which exceeds all the specs for the baby Nissan......:clap2:

Oh !!!!!! the Jeep comment was bait.............................:behindsofa:

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
View attachment 34407
D40 550 v Landcruiser twin turbo V8,
10% higher power to weight ratio (with only one turbo),
10% better fuel economy,
50% higher cargo

vroom vroom

Ill wait here till you Google it ... ha
(all the cruiser drivers are frantically checking) ..... (now I've said that, they're not .... but they will)

We got'em on the run @bigcol
At least Nissan have circled the problem

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Bahahahahhahhaha @ Crusty181 , I would love to see the figures then for a "Colorado" which exceeds all the specs for the baby Nissan

@Drover, @Crusty181 quoted the "550" (170kW, 550Nm) and that actually leaves the poor little Colorado in its wake. Before the Disco I had a STX550 and it was without doubt the best towing rig I had had. Actually I recall rounding up a poor little Colorado towing a 16.49 in an overtaking lane going up a hill on the way back from Merimbula. The massive cloud of black diesel smoke said he had obviously seen that it was a Nissan that was about to cruise past him. As I went past him you could hear the poor little engine trying to rattle the pistons out through the heads, the seven speed auto in STX550 combined with V6 TD is the undisputed towing champion in the dual cab category.

P.S Did you know @Crusty181 has a "Ducted Diesel Heater" in his 20.63.1 OB?????

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Sorry armchair specs means SFA. A 550 had trouble passing the Paj once it was uphill it was just as I was looking at new rigs and it got me thinking so When I got to drive one I gave it a good test and they have a hole in their torque band that's noticeable and would be more so towing. Also discuss it with a forumite who found the same. But each to their own Aslong as thier happy go for it

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Pah, poo, bah....all paper figures.......................I would actually love a V8 oil burner Cruiser, if I could afford to buy one stuff the fuel and running cost's but then a Dodge would be better................................each to his own I suppose but when towing Grunt is important/

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Sorry armchair specs means SFA. A 550 had trouble passing the Paj once it was uphill it was just as I was looking at new rigs and it got me thinking so When I got to drive one I gave it a good test and they have a hole in their torque band that's noticeable and would be more so towing. Also discuss it with a forumite who found the same. But each to their own Aslong as thier happy go for it
Ha ... Ive drawn one out !!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Drover, @Crusty181 quoted the "550" (170kW, 550Nm) and that actually leaves the poor little Colorado in its wake. Before the Disco I had a STX550 and it was without doubt the best towing rig I had had. Actually I recall rounding up a poor little Colorado towing a 16.49 in an overtaking lane going up a hill on the way back from Merimbula. The massive cloud of black diesel smoke said he had obviously seen that it was a Nissan that was about to cruise past him. As I went past him you could hear the poor little engine trying to rattle the pistons out through the heads, the seven speed auto in STX550 combined with V6 TD is the undisputed towing champion in the dual cab category.

P.S Did you know @Crusty181 has a "Ducted Diesel Heater" in his 20.63.1 OB?????
We love anything top notch that comes in the diesel variant ....

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Ha ... Ive drawn one out !!

Sorry mate I never googled a thing, and I don't read the mags. I stopped buying mags when the paper went shinny as it doesn't have a primary purpose. I am a seat of the pants bloke whether I am flying, gliding, boating, riding , driving or towing and I hold a licence in the aforementioned. ;)