QLD Western QLD Shire Roads

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Birdsville is on my short list, never been there. Had tickets and was all set with Parks booked for the 2020 races...that were then cancelled due to the Chinese virus. Won't get there this year unfortunately...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Birdsville is on my short list, never been there. Had tickets and was all set with Parks booked for the 2020 races...that were then cancelled due to the Chinese virus. Won't get there this year unfortunately...

I haven't managed it yet, cruised close to the place but no ambition to go when one of the events is happening, I go to these places to see the character of the area, a sea of people is no attraction... You can always tell who's going there as they travel at about 120kph in a race, no thought for anyone else.....

Many don't realise that it doesn't have to rain on a place out there for it to flood, that good bit of rain a few weeks ago 400km or more away will wash you away on the crossing tomorrow, not often dangerous as it moves slow but it will stop you dead in the water often for weeks at a time...............

UPDATE FRI 1:12PM | Birdsville police say due to a rise in water levels, at this stage the roads into Birdsville via Windorah and the Birdsville Track are impassable. Access via the Simpson Desert and north from Bedourie is open
❗

Also just noted Innaminka Rd cut at Cooper Crk near Durham, good road and bridge there so just need the water to drop, Dig Tree Rd Open, just cant get there, be spmething to see the Cooper there, be a worry if it got up though. no where to run.....

Reactions: Hitting the road

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
...we won't be doing the races going forward now either. I doubt you'd see much of the place if 10,000 bods had just landed there for the weekend. I would imagine the road would be torn up too with hundreds of cars using it...not my cup of tea either.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When I drove for McCafferty's we used to run 3 or 4 coaches out there for the races, was hard yakka for the blokes as they did the cooking, camp set up and pack up, I didn't put my hand up to do it ...................... Actually the roads are usually in good nick even with all the tourists belting over them but then all depends on what you think is a good road.......................

Pic of Birdsville from ABC yesterday, just need a tinny to get across the channel...................

1654230083930.jpeg
1654230083930.jpeg
...... aerial shot by David Brook

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Really looking forward to heading out there...they say you should always keep in the back of your mind that you can get stuck out there, anywhere, for a week just waiting for water to go down so the roads are re opened.

Sort of glad in a way that I didn't get out there in 2020, as I was taking the camper trailer and that was a pita setting up for one night, then the dust would have been a big job to clean it up when back. With the van in tow now it will be a breeze.

Those tours would be starting again wouldn't they...where the poor ole driver is chief cook and bottle washer, while keeping the coach clean and everybody happy, fed and watered...

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I’m looking forward to going back to Birdsville then north to the Isa, last time we went was after the races the road was dreadful due to so much traffic full of corrugations it’s all about timing but won’t be this year

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Bulloo Shire has opened the Innaminka Rd, water across at the cooper floodplain for quite a way, check Explore Bulloo some dirt roads are open some closed................... Looks like the roads around Birdsville are still closed along with most of the dirt jobs in Diamantina Shire ...........

Water is slowly moving south, as usual wide and shallow so check conditions daily if out that way and carry enough tucker for a month......

It won't be long till they seal the roads to Birdsville I reckon, Innaminka is sealed from QLD side....... I don't mind a bit, done enough dirt and corrugations in my time.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The word from the Birdsville pub....8/06/2022

Real world Diamantina River and road update.
We are getting a huge amount of phone calls and reading a large number of inaccurate posts on social media regarding the current flow of water past Birdsville heading south through the Channel Country.
Some straight forward facts are as follows.
• Most importantly, don’t believe everything you read on social media
• Most news articles outside of ABC are incorrect and dramatized
• No, Birdsville is not cut off from the outside world. This is far from the truth and its very much business as usual
• No, this is not a “major” flood
• Yes, you can still travel in and out of Birdsville with no hassles at all using the northern road via Bedourie
• Yes, Bedourie has plenty of fuel
• Yes, the road is closed between the Birdsville Race course and the township of Birdsville due to this reasonably normal Chanel Country flow, don’t panic this isn’t forever
• Yes, we are still seeing tourists successfully crossing the Simpson Desert daily without issue
• No, Eyre creek is not in flood
• No, we do not have tourist’s stranded in Birdsville, they can easily drive out to the North at any time they please. Most have stayed on to enjoy this amazing display of mother nature
• No, the town is not running out of food
• No, the air force is not flying food supplies into Birdsville
• No, the town is not running out of diesel or petrol
• Yes, we have ample amounts of aviation fuels in stock
• No, the Hotel is not running out of beer
• No, the road has not washed away
• No, a Unimog did not fall through a hole in the Diamantina bridge
• No, the SES have not had to do emergency call outs in the flood boat
• No, this flow will not have an impact on the Big Red Bash
• Yes, the entire township is very much open for business and are enjoying a constant flow of visitors
• Yes, we are all ok. This is a normal nature event that can happen after northern rain fall
• Yes, the water will recede, that’s the magic of the Lake Eyre basin
• Yes, you need to plan your routes and do your research prior to departing on your trip, this should be normal practice regardless of what the Diamantina River is doing
• Yes, now is the best time to witness this breathtaking region to see the full beauty of the Channel Country
• Yes, we believe that Social Media gossip is worse than the game of Chinese whispers
All jokes aside, road and river interruptions have always been a part of remote area travel. This is all part of the journey, trip planning, diversions, challenges, adventure and the unknow is a part of the challenge that in the end leads to a wonderful feeling of self-achievement when you do arrive at your Outback bucket list destination.
Travel safe and enjoy the natural wonder that is the Channel Country, we can’t get enough of it!

Yet QLD Traffic says the road from Bedourie is closed no wonder confusion and Barcoo Shire have closed the Innaminka Rd again as the Cooper is rising, again......

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
The word from the Birdsville pub....8/06/2022

Real world Diamantina River and road update.
We are getting a huge amount of phone calls and reading a large number of inaccurate posts on social media regarding the current flow of water past Birdsville heading south through the Channel Country.
Some straight forward facts are as follows.
• Most importantly, don’t believe everything you read on social media
• Most news articles outside of ABC are incorrect and dramatized
• No, Birdsville is not cut off from the outside world. This is far from the truth and its very much business as usual
• No, this is not a “major” flood
• Yes, you can still travel in and out of Birdsville with no hassles at all using the northern road via Bedourie
• Yes, Bedourie has plenty of fuel
• Yes, the road is closed between the Birdsville Race course and the township of Birdsville due to this reasonably normal Chanel Country flow, don’t panic this isn’t forever
• Yes, we are still seeing tourists successfully crossing the Simpson Desert daily without issue
• No, Eyre creek is not in flood
• No, we do not have tourist’s stranded in Birdsville, they can easily drive out to the North at any time they please. Most have stayed on to enjoy this amazing display of mother nature
• No, the town is not running out of food
• No, the air force is not flying food supplies into Birdsville
• No, the town is not running out of diesel or petrol
• Yes, we have ample amounts of aviation fuels in stock
• No, the Hotel is not running out of beer
• No, the road has not washed away
• No, a Unimog did not fall through a hole in the Diamantina bridge
• No, the SES have not had to do emergency call outs in the flood boat
• No, this flow will not have an impact on the Big Red Bash
• Yes, the entire township is very much open for business and are enjoying a constant flow of visitors
• Yes, we are all ok. This is a normal nature event that can happen after northern rain fall
• Yes, the water will recede, that’s the magic of the Lake Eyre basin
• Yes, you need to plan your routes and do your research prior to departing on your trip, this should be normal practice regardless of what the Diamantina River is doing
• Yes, now is the best time to witness this breathtaking region to see the full beauty of the Channel Country
• Yes, we believe that Social Media gossip is worse than the game of Chinese whispers
All jokes aside, road and river interruptions have always been a part of remote area travel. This is all part of the journey, trip planning, diversions, challenges, adventure and the unknow is a part of the challenge that in the end leads to a wonderful feeling of self-achievement when you do arrive at your Outback bucket list destination.
Travel safe and enjoy the natural wonder that is the Channel Country, we can’t get enough of it!

Yet QLD Traffic says the road from Bedourie is closed no wonder confusion and Barcoo Shire have closed the Innaminka Rd again as the Cooper is rising, again......
Left Birdsville Monday morning and just got home to Sydney 2 hours ago. Will throw up some words tomorrow. Long trip home.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Left Birdsville Monday morning and just got home to Sydney 2 hours ago. Will throw up some words tomorrow. Long trip home.
So regarding the Diamantina. We left Sydney Tuesday morning (31st) and overnighted Bourke (Kidman Camp) then by the Cooper just outside Windorah on Wednesday night. Lunch and a beer at Betoota Hotel on Thursday. The first time I have seen it open the three times I have past. As the Development Rd was closed we thought we would head on to the race course to see what was going on and meet up with other travellers as we were all going to Birdsville for a running event. There was water over the Development road about 15km before Birdsville. This was about 300mm deep and about 40m. Got to the race course at around 3.30pm and went and had a look at the river which was up, hence the road closure. River was at about 0.4m and flowing. There were three sections of the road covered with water all about 70m across. Back to the race course. A little while later a 4WD bus came over from town with the local copper. He said we could follow them back across into town at our risk. We were towing as well. By now river was up around 0.45m. We were the second last vehicle across under their own steam. Later a couple came across on a low loader. Friday the river was about 0.8m. We left Birdsville Monday 6th to the north through Bedourie and overnighted at a rest area 200km west of Winton. Tuesday night in the CP on an unpowered site at Windorah. Wednesday night at Kidman Camp Bourke again then home Thursday night 5.30pm. On the Wed about 1hr south of Cunamulla the dash lit up like a Xmas tree. Scanguage was flicking between 10.3V and 12.6V. Turned everything off, car fridge, van fridge, A/C, headlights etc and got into Bourke just on dusk. Asked around for auto elec recommendations in Bourke and was told Dubbo. We left just on daylight so no lights needed and hightailed it south. Got to Dubbo and now scanguage was flashing between 12.0V and 14.4 so kept going to home hitting Emu Plains as it was getting darkish. Got onto the M7 at Eastern Creek with parking lights then risked the headlights around Rooty Hill. Got home about 30 minutes later in one piece. Alternator making a noise like a supercharger. Purchased a new one Friday. Yet to fit it, probably next weekend. Have another car to drive in the meantime. I reckon the Diamantina did the damage and the car is now 13.5 years old with around 205,000km so not a bad run.
Everything in the Birdsville Hotel post above is correct. The only thing I slightly disagree with is the bit about the Big Red Bash. Yes the event itself shouldn’t be affected but all the town common camping and possibly the CP unpowered sites on the lower section could be out of action. That is a lot of camping spots. The flies and mossies will be horrendous.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Great write up, its always an adventure in that neck of the woods ...........

I think the biggest problem I have found with road reports is sites that you should be able to rely on like a council or state government site like QLD Traffic aren't kept up to date, as could be seen with QLD Traffic reporting road from Bedourie to Birdsville closed yet it was open and actually still closed according to them ........ Have found that with previous floods and fires.......

Lucky with the alternator when they start to growl they sometimes turn to flame.

Reactions: MDS69

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
20JUN22; Bulloo Shire :

20/06/22 - 9am - GREAT NEWS the Cooper has dropped enough that we have opened the Adventure Way to Innamincka.
PLEASE NOTE - THERE IS STILL WATER FOR A LONG WAY!!!! But we are told it is sitting at .3m in the deepest spots. If you are confident in driving for some kilometers in water, varying in depth, please be safe while doing so. Even though the road is open, if you drive through this water, it is at your owe risk.
For those not comfortable driving through it, we have the alternative route, it is all unsealed and about an extra 200km onto your trip but give us a call if you need directions for this option.

1655687909845.png
1655687967973.png
..... Fuel at 2.76 or 2.57/lt at Thargomindah might just wait a little longer I think.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Stuff all to do with roads but Toompine Pub is looking at reopening in October ........................... that will be welcome...

Reactions: MDS69

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Stuff all to do with roads but Toompine Pub is looking at reopening in October ........................... that will be welcome...
Yes it was closed for Reno’s when we through in June. Was looking forward to going in for a beer and a feed. Always a good stop between Bourke and Windorah. Clean amenities. Have previously overnighted out the front.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yes it was closed for Reno’s when we through in June. Was looking forward to going in for a beer and a feed. Always a good stop between Bourke and Windorah. Clean amenities. Have previously overnighted out the front.

The reno's have taken awhile, about 2 years so far I think, Covid, supplies and getting a wood butcher or two, had a couple of hoped for opening dates but this one looks like happening.............. Hoping we can swing by on our way home late October......

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
8/9/22......Bit damp again/still out there, also western NSW I notice most of the dirt roads are red on the map meaning closed.............. hope they dry out by end of month... Thargomindah area has had around the 17mm mark .

1662601439113.png

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If the Gumboot Tour wasn't cancelled next week we would have been out around Toompine but saw this coming so headed for home instead, I didn't have the Yaks with me...

Overhead view of road to Toompine/Quilpie...........

Attachments

• toompine.jpg
    toompine.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: mfexpanda and MDS69

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
If the Gumboot Tour wasn't cancelled next week we would have been out around Toompine but saw this coming so headed for home instead, I didn't have the Yaks with me...

Overhead view of road to Toompine/Quilpie...........
That’s a crazy photo. So much water.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Goodness me there's some water out in Bulloo Shire and surrounds, grass will surely be green and the mossies thick.........

Road Report 13/10/22 @ 12pm - The Bulloo River at Thargomindah is rising and the bridges are closed to traffic. The Flood Truck is currently still in operation for vehicles but will cease when the max water height is reached. Contact number/operation times in photo attached.
Thargomindah Quilpie Rd in the Bulloo Shire is open but with extreme caution due to rain damage. Water is over at South Comongin crossing (north of Toompine), Quilpie Shires flood detour road, the Napoleon Rd, is open to 4WD vehicles.
Thargomindah Hungerford Rd is open with caution. The Paroo crossing at Hungerford is at 0.33m over and rising. This crossing is now CLOSED which means no access to town from QLD. From NSW border down is currently closed also.
The bridge at Eulo is currently closed due to 0.69m water over the bridge.
The Warri Gate Rd is open from Noccundra to the NSW border (drive to prevailing conditions). The Silver City Hwy from NSW border to Tibooburra is open. The Cameron Corner Rd from Warri Gate into the corner is open. Cameron Corner through Stuart National Park to Tibooburra is open.
The Adventure Way from Thargomindah to Dig Tree and S.A border is open. The Arrabury Rd is open with caution in our shire and the Barcoo Shire has opened their top half of the Arrabury to 4WD. The Strzelecki Track is open with caution from Innamincka heading south and the Cordillo Downs Rd north is open to 4WD/HV.
From Thargomindah to Eromanga is open with caution due to recent rain. This road is majority single lane and sides of the road are still quite wet in areas. The Wilson River crossing is 0.2m over the road.

Thargo.jpg... Cunnamulla Rd as you approach Thargomindah....

Flood truck signage just out of town......................flood truck.jpg