Venting, ranting, whinging and all things political

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
After watching the NSW health minister i must applaud him for his answers the other day such honesty he must be copying the vic govenment ...answers like
I dont know
Mmmmm not sure
Not my department
I wasnt there
I didnt say that
No no no thats out of context
Im not the expert
Have to ask that monday when experts are here
I wouldnt know
Not my port folio
Im just a puppet
They pulled a name out of a hat stuff me i landed this job
I can cook a snag on a bbq thats about it
I wouldn't know about common people
Im being lead by people who dont know themselves so how would i know
Did someone say KFC

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
They're all the same.
Dan's tune has noticeably changed, yet he let's you know he's still a **** by slipping in his usual fear mongering lines like "but if you do the wrong thing, and don't follow the rules, covid will find you and you have an extremely high chance of ending up in hospital"

Yeah right, OK CHAMP. ‍♂️♂️♂️♂️

Reactions: Bluey and Crusty181

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
They're all the same.
Dan's tune has noticeably changed, yet he let's you know he's still a **** by slipping in his usual fear mongering lines like "but if you do the wrong thing, and don't follow the rules, covid will find you and you have an extremely high chance of ending up in hospital"

Yeah right, OK CHAMP. ‍♂️♂️♂️♂️
Sad but true. Only those who do not get vaccinated are really likely to end up in hospital, but that does not mean the even if you are fully vaccinated, you should not follow common sense rules. You can still be a carrier and infect others, especially those close to you and NOT vaccinated. Stay safe.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Bluddy Nokia phone upgraded to Android 11 on its own accord, mongrel thing, lost internet over phone data for some reason, okay on WiFi though, took awhile but got it going by clicking different settings in the Network settings section, all started working again but didn't actually change any settings just basically went from to other then back again, it was lucky as a full reset would have made me think about reaching for a hammer.................

I am now at peace with the world , how long till something else upsets me ???????? ................ ignore the paper, sick to death of bluddy politicians waffling on .......

Reactions: mfexpanda

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Sad but true. Only those who do not get vaccinated are really likely to end up in hospital, but that does not mean the even if you are fully vaccinated, you should not follow common sense rules. You can still be a carrier and infect others, especially those close to you and NOT vaccinated. Stay safe.
There is a major issue related to the rhetoric about being vaccinated. There are at least 61,637 people in Australia who have already been infected and recovered. Surely these 61,637 people already have the best vaccination, i.e. actually catching COVID. Nowhere, in the politically driven rhetoric currently flooding the media about limitations on people who have not had two shots and rolling out vaccination passports is there any mention about people who have been infected and recovered.

Another point, Johnson and Johnson produce a vaccine that is administered only once. It is commonly used in the US, so It is quite conceivable that people coming from the US may have been vaccinated with J&J. Will they be also not eligible.

Further, in the Netherlands, people who have been infected are considered FULLY vaccinated if they have one booster shot.

Just pointing out the ridiculous situation we have been in throughout the pandemic. Quick knee jerk reactions, two much bullshit spoken by politicians who are not qualified to give medical advice, and too little progress on fixing the real issues: proper quarantine facilities, proper health guidance, proper enforcement of key issues related to containing outbreaks.

For example, the crap that was espoused in the beginning stating the wearing a mask was not considered necessary. The reason for that message was the the government, once again asleep at the wheel, had not thought abought ordering sufficient supplies and was well and truely caught short. They didn't have enough masks for hospitals, aged-care etc so, instead of admitting they had stuffed up and explaining the truth and asking people to limit their purchases, they inented the health advice. The consequence was that many, many, vulnerable people in the community, including those in aged-care were not advised to wear masks. They then propageted a further lie concerning droplet and transmission via aerosols at a time when there was already significant evidence to support aerosol transmission. They further propagated untruths about the adequacy of ventilation systems in hotel quarantine when it was a well-established fact from the massive infection spread aboard the death ship, Ruby Diamond in Tokyo caused by forcing all passengers to stay on board a ship where the infection was spread from cabin to cabin via the ventilation system from infected passengers to healthy passengers. Cruise ships are undergoing major changes to improve their ventilation systems.

Airlines have, over the years, gone backwards. In older aircraft, one had an air nozzle above them that was a source of clean air that had gone through high temperature treatment over the engine exhausts, if I remember correctly. Newer aircraft have removed the nozzles and just have ducted air. The proble with this is that the clean air supply is not constant throughout the plane and there are pockets of air that is not circulated as well as other areas. There are videos around showing this effect inside restaurants etc.

The next frontier is adequate availability of clean air in buildings. We all know the furor that follows an outbreak of legionnaires in any large building if just one person is infected. Now, we have a much more infectious disease and it will not be long before there will have to be major rethinks about providing a safe breathing environment for customers, students, and workers. There are many reports out about this at the moment.
No doubt, the people with vested interests will already be getting prepared to push back any changes, to cast doubt on the reports. The consultants for the tobacco and fossil fuel industry will be out in full once again.

Look out for the subtle changes to legislation to treat clean breathable as an exemption from meeting existing obligations under OHS requirements.
The ludicrous situation will evolve where you can sue McDonalds for millions for serving coffee too hot, but they will be exempt from repercussions where customers catch Covid inside their restaurant and die due to poor air quality allowing Covid transmission via aerosols.

Oh what a stupid race we are.

take care
Mike

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
There is a major issue related to the rhetoric about being vaccinated. There are at least 61,637 people in Australia who have already been infected and recovered. Surely these 61,637 people already have the best vaccination, i.e. actually catching COVID. Nowhere, in the politically driven rhetoric currently flooding the media about limitations on people who have not had two shots and rolling out vaccination passports is there any mention about people who have been infected and recovered.

Another point, Johnson and Johnson produce a vaccine that is administered only once. It is commonly used in the US, so It is quite conceivable that people coming from the US may have been vaccinated with J&J. Will they be also not eligible.

Further, in the Netherlands, people who have been infected are considered FULLY vaccinated if they have one booster shot.

Just pointing out the ridiculous situation we have been in throughout the pandemic. Quick knee jerk reactions, two much bullshit spoken by politicians who are not qualified to give medical advice, and too little progress on fixing the real issues: proper quarantine facilities, proper health guidance, proper enforcement of key issues related to containing outbreaks.

For example, the crap that was espoused in the beginning stating the wearing a mask was not considered necessary. The reason for that message was the the government, once again asleep at the wheel, had not thought abought ordering sufficient supplies and was well and truely caught short. They didn't have enough masks for hospitals, aged-care etc so, instead of admitting they had stuffed up and explaining the truth and asking people to limit their purchases, they inented the health advice. The consequence was that many, many, vulnerable people in the community, including those in aged-care were not advised to wear masks. They then propageted a further lie concerning droplet and transmission via aerosols at a time when there was already significant evidence to support aerosol transmission. They further propagated untruths about the adequacy of ventilation systems in hotel quarantine when it was a well-established fact from the massive infection spread aboard the death ship, Ruby Diamond in Tokyo caused by forcing all passengers to stay on board a ship where the infection was spread from cabin to cabin via the ventilation system from infected passengers to healthy passengers. Cruise ships are undergoing major changes to improve their ventilation systems.

Airlines have, over the years, gone backwards. In older aircraft, one had an air nozzle above them that was a source of clean air that had gone through high temperature treatment over the engine exhausts, if I remember correctly. Newer aircraft have removed the nozzles and just have ducted air. The proble with this is that the clean air supply is not constant throughout the plane and there are pockets of air that is not circulated as well as other areas. There are videos around showing this effect inside restaurants etc.

The next frontier is adequate availability of clean air in buildings. We all know the furor that follows an outbreak of legionnaires in any large building if just one person is infected. Now, we have a much more infectious disease and it will not be long before there will have to be major rethinks about providing a safe breathing environment for customers, students, and workers. There are many reports out about this at the moment.
No doubt, the people with vested interests will already be getting prepared to push back any changes, to cast doubt on the reports. The consultants for the tobacco and fossil fuel industry will be out in full once again.

Look out for the subtle changes to legislation to treat clean breathable as an exemption from meeting existing obligations under OHS requirements.
The ludicrous situation will evolve where you can sue McDonalds for millions for serving coffee too hot, but they will be exempt from repercussions where customers catch Covid inside their restaurant and die due to poor air quality allowing Covid transmission via aerosols.

Oh what a stupid race we are.

take care
Mike
I vote "1" for @mikerezny as the new PM!

• Haha
Reactions: Drover

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
@mikerezny in most cities in China hotels have opening windows the government forbids A/C use during high electricity use times so you open the windows the parts of Europe I’ve been in also have windows that open in most hotels however I can’t think of a hotel I’ve been to in Australia that has openings windows they rely on the A/C 24/7 I personally hate it

DRW

May 29, 2013
I read a good reply to an antivaxer today.

a donkey said to a tiger the grass is blue, the tiger disagreed and insisted they go see the lion king, the lion king agreed with the donkey the grass is blue!! The tiger said to the king why did you agree with the donkey when we both know the grass is green? The lion king said to the tiger “ why did you bother arguing with a donkey”?;-)

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
@mikerezny in most cities in China hotels have opening windows the government forbids A/C use during high electricity use times so you open the windows the parts of Europe I’ve been in also have windows that open in most hotels however I can’t think of a hotel I’ve been to in Australia that has openings windows they rely on the A/C 24/7 I personally hate it
Hi,
in large areas, to keep air conditioning and heating costs down, they recycle as much internal air as possible. This has the effect of creating a soup inside the building where aerosols from people in the building have an increased chance of being inhaled by other people. In a large Japanese global organisation I worked in in the late 80's it was well-known and accepted that in Winter we all caught the same colds. Eventually, it was investigated by management and traced back to having too little fresh air intake into the cooling / heating system.

Fortunately, this company had a great reputation for looking after staff and had no problems rectifying the problem. They were not doing anything wrong, building maintenance was just following accepted industry best practice. But it was having an impact on staff health. The end result was that the building heating and cooling costs went up since more outside air was pumped into the building, but sick leave went down and less people were getting infected, so we all ended up healthier. Staff had a high opinion of management, management had a vested interest in keeping staff happy. This was indeed one of the best companies I have ever worked for.

Another case I remember was drinking water. You know those fountains with the huge bottles that one tips upside down onto the stand. Our head accountant noticed that the seals on the tops of the bottles had changed and was suspicious. He talked to the big boss who immediately had bottles sent off for analysis. They came back as having been filled with ordinary tap water by the franchise operator who was collecting our bottles, refilling them in his depot, throwing a sort of seal on them and delivering them back to us. All well documented and boy did the *&*&( hit the fan when the report hit the desk of the major global company who owned the trademark. A complete snap audit of all franchises was carried out. From memory, it was being done by more than one franchise. Complete change of procedures throughout the controlling organisation. New tamper proof seals were introduced and all customers were advised to immediately report and forward any bottles with suspicious seals. All done by our management without any staff involvement.

But I digress again....apologies. But it is good to remember incidents when politics and management were done very well.

take care
Mike

DRW

May 29, 2013
We used to all get the flu shot at work, my office was away from everyone else’s 1) because I swear too much 1) because it was a testing room. Our office had around 200+ people and so many air conditioning units, compliance officer always had 1 it 2 off sick being a smallish office so I told them when they need to discuss something with me they know where I am lol

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
We used to all get the flu shot at work, my office was away from everyone else’s 1) because I swear too much 1) because it was a testing room. Our office had around 200+ people and so many air conditioning units, compliance officer always had 1 it 2 off sick being a smallish office so I told them when they need to discuss something with me they know where I am lol
Hi @DRW,
my partner is a teacher. She would often bring colds, gastro etc home from school. Especially in winter when all the class rooms were closed up to keep the room warm.

She has been retired for a few years now. It is great that since then we seldom get colds or gastro anymore.

take care
Mike

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
@mikerezny, re airplane air conditioning systems, the conditioned air is admitted to the cabin from just under the hat rack and exits out at floor level into ducting and overboard via an adjustable outflow valve which regulates the outflow to maintain the required pressure altitude in the pressurised cabin.
The air for this conditioning is bled from the 15th stage of the engine compressor suplemented by 8th stage air to provide increased mass. 15th stage air is about 350 degrees C. 8th stage air cools it a little then it goes through an air cycle machine called a pack. The pack is a centrifugal compressor backed by a centrifugal turbine, between the two there is a heat exchanger. Air exiting the pack is sub zero. As you can imagine all moisture is extracted and all contaminants eliminated in this process. the pack air is mixed with some of the hot air taken from the pack process and mixed to the required temp. to make the cabin environment habitable as the outside air temp at 30,000ft is around minus 40/45.
Some years ago in the pursuit of lower fuel burn airplane manufacturers decided to recirculate some of the cabin air, however this was only 1 to 2 % of mass flow. This is controlled from the cockpit and is able to be switched off.
In the time of the chinese virus you can be assured that no air is recycled.
The days of aircraft cabin heat coming from a heat muff around the engine exhaust are long gone.
Happy camping!

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
@mikerezny, re airplane air conditioning systems, the conditioned air is admitted to the cabin from just under the hat rack and exits out at floor level into ducting and overboard via an adjustable outflow valve which regulates the outflow to maintain the required pressure altitude in the pressurised cabin.
The air for this conditioning is bled from the 15th stage of the engine compressor suplemented by 8th stage air to provide increased mass. 15th stage air is about 350 degrees C. 8th stage air cools it a little then it goes through an air cycle machine called a pack. The pack is a centrifugal compressor backed by a centrifugal turbine, between the two there is a heat exchanger. Air exiting the pack is sub zero. As you can imagine all moisture is extracted and all contaminants eliminated in this process. the pack air is mixed with some of the hot air taken from the pack process and mixed to the required temp. to make the cabin environment habitable as the outside air temp at 30,000ft is around minus 40/45.
Some years ago in the pursuit of lower fuel burn airplane manufacturers decided to recirculate some of the cabin air, however this was only 1 to 2 % of mass flow. This is controlled from the cockpit and is able to be switched off.
In the time of the chinese virus you can be assured that no air is recycled.
The days of aircraft cabin heat coming from a heat muff around the engine exhaust are long gone.
Happy camping!
Hi @Johnanbev,
thanks so much for the thorough details of airplane airconditioning. It is reassuring to read about how much has changed over the years. Also pleased to read that no air is recirculated. That would certainly reduce aerosol transmission in the passenger cabin.

In your opinion, would the current method of distributing the air (without, passenger controlled jets) be any worse or better than using jets? I am thinking of the possibility of there being pockets of air in parts of the passenger space that is not recycled as well as other areas?

take care
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My trucks for many years no AC at all, bug filter was your nose..................... The aircraft I flew in no heater, winter was pile another jacket on, too hot and stuffy cajole the Loadmaster to open the back door, lol,lol,lol or hope someone chucked then he would open it, choppers mostly flow thru AC.................. hate flying civvy just like a bus but going faster, when I drove long Distance Coaches winter was horrible, 40 odd plague ridden people coughing and hacking away on your vehicle, one dinky little window and an AC that recycled a lot of the inside air, no one sat behind me, ever and give filters a good dose of Glenn20 at each meal stop, keep up the Vitamin C and B and a nice double nip of Bundy with brekky at the Motel when you managed to escape the mobile virus pod.................... Never travel on trains, planes and certainly not buses..................... Tell my kids I want current medical certificates when they send their virus ridden off spring to Nan and Pops .....(of course Nanny overides the request and gets a lurgy for twice as long as we had the germ ridden buggas)

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Hi @Johnanbev,
thanks so much for the thorough details of airplane airconditioning. It is reassuring to read about how much has changed over the years. Also pleased to read that no air is recirculated. That would certainly reduce aerosol transmission in the passenger cabin.

In your opinion, would the current method of distributing the air (without, passenger controlled jets) be any worse or better than using jets? I am thinking of the possibility of there being pockets of air in parts of the passenger space that is not recycled as well as other areas?

take care
Mike
The air is totally replaced, no stagnant areas that I can recall, I can't remember how many times a minute the air is changed, I think each persons space had aprox. 9 pounds a minute.
The cabins are held at aprox 8000ft. at a pressure of 8.7 to 9.0 psi and there is a lot of leakage through the seals and gaps in the fuselage before the air gets to the overboard discharge valve, so as you can guess there is a large exchange going on.
Put it this way, if you are sitting beside a window, and if it should blow out, it doesn't matter if you have a seat belt on or not, you will be sucked through that window space no matter what size you are. It's very cold outside! Air has mass!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
In waiting for the next anti vax moron...
Ask them if they have had Mumps/Measles/Chicken Pox and why they didnt die..... Have a look at how many died from Measels recently in the world, obvious reason why we get vaxed....

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
In waiting for the next anti vax moron...
Ask them if they have had Mumps/Measles/Chicken Pox and why they didnt die..... Have a look at how many died from Measels recently in the world, obvious reason why we get vaxed....
Well @Drover, here is a classic for you. reported that the boss of a company in northern NSW started asking staff whether they had received vaccination for Covid. One young female proudly sent a screen shot of her certificate of vaccination to her boss. Boss then told her she could no longer work for the company.

The reason: "It was their belief that the vaccine puts out too many spike proteins and as such this could cause sickness to her employers and their customers"!
With idiots like that spruiking crap, no wonder we will have restrictions and lock downs for the enforceable future.

Incident now reportedly in the hands of Fair Work Ombudsman.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well @Drover, here is a classic for you. reported that the boss of a company in northern NSW started asking staff whether they had received vaccination for Covid. One young female proudly sent a screen shot of her certificate of vaccination to her boss. Boss then told her she could no longer work for the company.

The reason: "It was their belief that the vaccine puts out too many spike proteins and as such this could cause sickness to her employers and their customers"!
With idiots like that spruiking crap, no wonder we will have restrictions and lock downs for the enforceable future.

Incident now reportedly in the hands of Fair Work Ombudsman.

They live, breath and pro create , company certainly a mob of fools, Fair Work should sort him out with a slap on wrist probably................................... Mumps in adult males, now that sorts the men from the boys, scary stuff sometimes.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
They live, breath and pro create , company certainly a mob of fools, Fair Work should sort him out with a slap on wrist probably................................... Mumps in adult males, now that sorts the men from the boys, scary stuff sometimes.
Yeah @Drover regarding mumps in males. I remember when I had the mumps as a child, my Mother had me wearing a large cloth nappy tied around my glands at side of face. Seems I got over it without any problems. Close friend of mine did not get mumps when young and was not vaccinated either. Had mumps when in his early 30s and was really crook. Testicles swollen and as big as tennis balls. Put an end to his procreation ideas. Fortunately, he already had a Son and Daughter before the mumps. Very, very scary!!!!!