Solar The Solar Panel Thread

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
Looks awesome....I assume the flexible panels are dearer due to their lesser availability. ..would be nice n light though?

And glueable to the van roof?

Cheers cp

yeah you can glue them. they're not that bad, a little more but can pick them up reasonably on eBay just make sure you buy sun power cells as they work better. the flex ones aren't as durable as the glass ones and have been known to stop working properly after time. they have been round a long time but have gotten a lot cheaper recently. now the blankets are out as well so thats all the rage

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Regarding the Maxray panels...I use two of them for the van and they have fantastic output. Ive had 17A out of 2x120A panels. BUT I removed their regulators and put Anderson plugs on the panels and an aftermarket 30A regulator ($36 ebay) in the van (6B&S cable between). Not much difference in weight between panel brands that Ive seen. The glass on all of them is the minimum needed to pass the standard 1m metal ball drop. The manufacturer isnt going to give you extra glass thickness for no reason.

coneheadpaul

Feb 3, 2017
perth
Hi yeah agree..regulator and wiring poor but even hooked with 6mm wire in series bypassing regulator and connected to epever tracer 2210a mppt got approx 120 watts peak....thats not good from 200w..

Hit n miss maybe , ..cheers cp

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Maybe your batteries weren't flat enough for the regulator to need to pump much out? Mine doesn't often get over 6A cause the batteries don't need it. Mainly when the fridge kicks in in the morning.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

coneheadpaul

Feb 3, 2017
perth
Hi dean ...no wasnt that..i had everything running in the van and batt voltage was depleting maxray giving me 120 in series.
Swapped to a domestic 195 watt panel ...gave me 175watts and battery voltage began to increase.....again..then went back on float...everything else same.

So definitely panel difference. .....maybe poor qc in manufacturing who knows and they were very heavy.

Anyway good luck if yours going well..i knew the controller attached wouldnt be mppt.

Cheers cp

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
From my experience, do not under any circumstances glue the thin panels directly to your roof.
I purchased a couple ($1000pr) and asked twice if they were ok to glue to the roof of our van. Yes, thats fine is the response both times.
Now, yes they worked ok in Tassie but hit the mainland with near on 2months of 38-42 deg weather and they fried themselves.
And abit of research on the net seems Im not the only one.

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
yes a lot of people glue them to 10mm polycarbonate sheets to help them breath like this. in my opinion the glass ones are more durable and will last longer, they may be heavier but if permanently mounting them i always go glass panels. my flex panel is good to keep in the back of the car.

7307108339425c8fe045af122f4e6ccb.jpg

ef4ef703c299f97f3a791369099cf914.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Big Mal has a 120ah Bosch Gel and I want to add another, now I know I should pair them up age, amps etc to get max performance and I was going to match it with another Bosch just not the same age but do you think I can find one around here, nearest one is about a 3 hr drive one way, just how much would it all suffer if I used another brand same amp though, I know the theory but real world doesn't always read the small print.
Be nice to just go and buy 2 new matching units but thats not going to happen.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks Dobbs but enough of the Guru stuff, was never a Sir.................besides you wouldn't have answered unless you were pretty sure anyway, thats my take , not ideal but better than nothing.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
What's a few amps between friends?

Batteries that is!

Loss, if any, should be minimal........but some distance savings.

Depends on when you need them.

Reactions: Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
in theory not a good idea, but
as you say, real world didnt read the small print

same same I was told never use a Gell as a cranking battery
meh
I had to for 6 months (because I kept forgetting to get new cranker.... DOH)
did not effect either batteries
ok, they were both yellow top Optima's
can guarantee they are the same, but different dates of Manufacture

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks Dobbs but enough of the Guru stuff, was never a Sir.................besides you wouldn't have said it unless you were pretty sure anyway, thats my take anyway, not ideal but better than nothing.
Considering your previous profession my take is, the people that werent a "Sir" aint so very fond of those that were .... possibly even an insult to some being referred to as the other ???

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Big Mal has a 120ah Bosch Gel and I want to add another, now I know I should pair them up age, amps etc to get max performance and I was going to match it with another Bosch just not the same age but do you think I can find one around here, nearest one is about a 3 hr drive one way, just how much would it all suffer if I used another brand same amp though, I know the theory but real world doesn't always read the small print.
Be nice to just go and buy 2 new matching units but thats not going to happen.
Age shouldn't make too much difference, provided your existing one is still performing well.

If you can match the capacity and chemistry, that's the main thing to make the system most efficient

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Considering your previous profession my take is, the people that werent a "Sir" aint so very fond of those that were .... possibly even an insult to some being referred to as the other ???

Amongst ourselves we would joke about it but in reality there are/were some brillliant people that I gladly called Sir !!!...........some Not.

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
OK - I am sure this will be covered and maybe more than once but I can not find a clear answer and everyone seems to have different views...

I have a 100ah house battery and a roof mounted 90w solar panel. If I connect a portable 80w panel with it's own regulator what happens???
will...
a) both will produce power and the combine power is fed into the battery
b) the panel which is producing the most power will produce power for the battery and the other will do nothing.

Sparky tells me option a
RV installer tells me option b

I am planning a trip to Bathurst this year, I will be taking a second portable battery (also 100ah) with me and not sure if best is to keep them connected together and run the 2 sets of panels or to separate the batteries during the day for charging with each panel charging one battery, then connect the together at the end of the day.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover