SWAY BREAKERS

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Just read owners man on territory its saying 80 kms hours when towing over a surtin weight now what do i do not want to get rite of territory or van ?

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
i have the 21.63.1, and tow it behind the 200 landcruiser. max ball weight on the van is 190kg. the van weighs in a 3192kg. at 80km and above it is all over the road. when i bring the towball up to 270kg...it drives perfect. but i am over the max ball weight of 190kg. which seems a little light for a van of this weight. i now have the friction ani swaybar on the van - and reduced the ball weight back to the legal limit. and it is perfect at any speed. i have also requested jayco to change the plate so that i can tow more on the max ball loading. still waiting for a reply thou from them. at the back of the van i have 2 spare tyres - 1 for the cruiser and the van tyre, foxtel dish as well. i also have a second air con at the very back. so the ball weight is back to normal. as the front i have a generator and other heavy stuff that will not fit in the back. oh, yes i did have my weight increased at the factory when i ordered this van to 650 kg payload. i also had an extra h frame and cables ready for the second air con at the rear. and a heap of extra stuff. so all that was included in the van empty weight.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Has any one used a sway breaker bar i am having trouble with our 20/63-1 swaying behind our 2013 awd diesel territory when over 90kms was after any thoughts on them and how do they fit we use a wdh and do they work ?
I see ya checked your tyre pressures and there all spot on hey.

Alright this might be a long shot but it might be a cause too.
I know that though work we are always replacing the rear lower control arm bushes and the centre diff bush on the rear of the Ford Territory's and BA/BF. Now if your pushing your car to the towing limits maybe these bushes are worn out and if there is two much play this will cause the car to start the swaying action.
It's properly alright when driving the car around town with slight bit of play. But with the extra load on the bushes it will dramatically increases the amount of play in the worn out bushes and before you know it there is a huge amount of play and then it's starts to cause the start of the swaying action.

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
I see ya checked your tyre pressures and there all spot on hey.

Alright this might be a long shot but it might be a cause too.
I know that though work we are always replacing the rear lower control arm bushes and the centre diff bush on the rear of the Ford Territory's and BA/BF. Now if your pushing your car to the towing limits maybe these bushes are worn out and if there is two much play this will cause the car to start the swaying action.
It's properly alright when driving the car around town with slight bit of play. But with the extra load on the bushes it will dramatically increases the amount of play in the worn out bushes and before you know it there is a huge amount of play and then it's starts to cause the start of the swaying action.
hi skippy car only 10.000 kms so i recon they be ok

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
i have the 21.63.1, and tow it behind the 200 landcruiser. max ball weight on the van is 190kg. the van weighs in a 3192kg. at 80km and above it is all over the road. when i bring the towball up to 270kg...it drives perfect. but i am over the max ball weight of 190kg. which seems a little light for a van of this weight. i now have the friction ani swaybar on the van - and reduced the ball weight back to the legal limit. and it is perfect at any speed. i have also requested jayco to change the plate so that i can tow more on the max ball loading. still waiting for a reply thou from them. at the back of the van i have 2 spare tyres - 1 for the cruiser and the van tyre, foxtel dish as well. i also have a second air con at the very back. so the ball weight is back to normal. as the front i have a generator and other heavy stuff that will not fit in the back. oh, yes i did have my weight increased at the factory when i ordered this van to 650 kg payload. i also had an extra h frame and cables ready for the second air con at the rear. and a heap of extra stuff. so all that was included in the van empty weight.
Hi Adam.

I think this max ball weight thing is becoming an issue.

Jayco have only recently started to use this max ball weight measure which for a large van is sometimes an issue - especially when your car can legally take a much higher weight.

The equation they use is the actual ball weight weight plus 10% of the allowable payload.

In your case of max 190kg I am guessing your ball min weight is around 143kg? (143+47.5 kg which might be (guessing here...) 10% of the 475kg payload.

Anyway, I was in the same predicament and asked for the stamp to be increased to 15% of the Allowable payload.

Cheers
Andrew.

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Hi Adam we have 20/63-1 was wondering how to go about getting ball weight changed on ours it reads 147 kg empty and loaded is only 175 kg witch to me is no were a nuff van is 2045 empty buy plate and over bridge loaded is 2460 kg

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
i had to go into jayco in dandy - vic. the dealer would not do it for me. 2460 is very light loaded? we are 2490 empty. and thats plated empty. we are around 3150 loaded.
Yeah is yours off road or standard but the ball weight is to low i recon

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
its not off road. and yes the ball weight is very low.
so you saying if i put more weight up front might help prob with this mod you cant put much down back any way as ours has 3 bunks its only got the one cupb what sort off weight should i be asking for on the ball ? as territory is only 250 kg

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
when you purchase the sway controller, it also comes with a plate that welds to the side of the hitch. this is where the smaller tow ball fits for the sway controller. easy to fit and remove once setup.
So you have to weld it to wdh and screw plate to draw bar ?

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
the plate clamps over the drawbar. and yes you have to weld the plate to the hitch, some of the new hitches now come with the plate already on it as mine did.
sorry what brand you got i think i get one and try it going away for long week end so could be a good chance to try it