SWAY BREAKERS

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Has any one used a sway breaker bar i am having trouble with our 20/63-1 swaying behind our 2013 awd diesel territory when over 90kms was after any thoughts on them and how do they fit we use a wdh and do they work ?

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
the ones we sell are just a friction type, a small towball fits on the WDH and another is teked onto the A-frame, a bar fits between these that can slide to allow turns and on the bar is a friction clamp that you can tighten to damp the sway down. seem to work ok from what ppl say, but you are still trying to stop a few tonnes with a device that doesn't have a lot of mechanical advantage and if the van is in control so to speak you could transfer the sway to the tug.

other options is to reload the van and put a bit more weight over the hitch, it might be tail heavy, try it with only front tank full etc, or fit a ESC if you want to go whole hog.

Reactions: blacky and brotys

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
the ones we sell are just a friction type, a small towball fits on the WDH and another is teked onto the A-frame, a bar fits between these that can slide to allow turns and on the bar is a friction clamp that you can tighten to damp the sway down. seem to work ok from what ppl say, but you are still trying to stop a few tonnes with a device that doesn't have a lot of mechanical advantage and if the van is in control so to speak you could transfer the sway to the tug.

other options is to reload the van and put a bit more weight over the hitch, it might be tail heavy, try it with only front tank full etc, or fit a ESC if you want to go whole hog.
I was thinking of esc whats that wearth ? and does it work i have tryed front tank full is better i got 220 kg on tow ball i got one of those tow ball scale devises best thing ever

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Can you tow a van that big with a Territory? I just would have presumed it was too big once you put all your gear in the car and van. Just wondering? Maybe Soaring could give advice as he is good with Fords and I think has a Territory.

Reactions: blacky

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Can you tow a van that big with a Territory? I just would have presumed it was too big once you put all your gear in the car and van. Just wondering? Maybe Soaring could give advice as he is good with Fords and I think has a Territory.
2700kg tow with a 2013 awd diesel van comes in at 2520 loaded wife is very good at packing

Reactions: Ren77 and blacky

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
@brotys try something I bet ya never even thought of.
Tyre pressure could be the key! I run mine at 50psi and I find its tows better when on the road at 90 to 100kms.
I too had a problem with swaying on my old van but when I ran low psi it was all over the road. Then with the max psi back in the tyres it towed like a dream.
Have u check the axel u bolts as well maybe even your wheel bearings too. What about the wheel nuts as well?
Maybe even tow the van with a different car and see how it handles.

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
@brotys try something I bet ya never even thought of.
Tyre pressure could be the key! I run mine at 50psi and I find its tows better when on the road at 90 to 100kms.
I too had a problem with swaying on my old van but when I ran low psi it was all over the road. Then with the max psi back in the tyres it towed like a dream.
Have u check the axel u bolts as well maybe even your wheel bearings too. What about the wheel nuts as well?
Maybe even tow the van with a different car and see how it handles.
do you mean tyres on car or van sorry but i have not checked u bolts , wheel nuts yes , i am thinking of a diff car just to try but thats not going to fix my problem with my set up ha

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Look on your tyres on the car and run the max on the rear of the Terrtory. Don't want to go to hard on the front though otherwise you will be feeling every bump. I am sure your manual should have this info as well.

As for the van I would recommend running the max PSI that the tyres can handle. Have a look on the side walls it will tell you the maxim pressure.

Make sure you check the wheel bearings as well to make sure that there's no play as this is a common problem as well for swaying. If unsure take the van to a mechanic just for peace of mind if your unsure though.

Once your happy take the set up for a drive and compare and I think you will find a great improvement with correct tyre pressures

Skip

Reactions: brotys

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Look on your tyres on the car and run the max on the rear of the Terrtory. Don't want to go to hard on the front though otherwise you will be feeling every bump. I am sure your manual should have this info as well.

As for the van I would recommend running the max PSI that the tyres can handle. Have a look on the side walls it will tell you the maxim pressure.

Make sure you check the wheel bearings as well to make sure that there's no play as this is a common problem as well for swaying. If unsure take the van to a mechanic just for peace of mind if your unsure though.

Once your happy take the set up for a drive and compare and I think you will find a great improvement with correct tyre pressures

Skip
Thanks i will do that

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha

Dave this ESC unit does it work with swaying and pitching of van moving around

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Dave this ESC unit does it work with swaying and pitching of van moving around
Swaying only Broyts. ESC applies the brakes to the van to help line up the van with the towing vehicle. Thus to help aid in preventing the swaying once it starts.
I wouldn't rely on this soley though find the cause and remove the problem and stop the swaying would be the safest way.

Reactions: 17triton and brotys

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Swaying only Broyts. ESC applies the brakes to the van to help line up the van with the towing vehicle. Thus to help aid in preventing the swaying once it starts.
I wouldn't rely on this soley though find the cause and remove the problem and stop the swaying would be the safest way.
I have empty the hole van out and still doing it 90 kms and under is ok but over 90 kms it starts i am a loss were to go now van ? car ?

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We had a 19ft full van that swayed and put a sway damper on and moved water tank forward to get some ball weight which it was lacking but in the end we got rid of it because it still wasn`t great and had lost confidence and i`m not going to risk my kids in something I dont like to tow. A lot of my problem was caravan design with it being a rear island bed they kept the axles further forward so you could walk around the bed. The axles were pretty much in the middle of the van where a lot of the bigger vans i`ve seen are more like 2/3 rds of the way back to the rear. The sway damper might help but as others said check tyre pressures and ball weight.