Starcraft Starcraft 17:58-3 options & quirks. Post them here.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I don't think the missing window will be an issue @davemc

I seriously looked at this model back when it was a 16 and I really like the airflow from the lower wall height on this model. The air flow (and view) from the flaps up high more than made up for the lack of windows to me.

Reactions: achjimmy

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We looked back when it was a 16" as well. Before they increased the bed size. See how much difference it will make just wish they actually told us after we signed off plans. not just find out here. Really there is more info here then Jayco website.
I assume they will not re-do both the virtual tours.
Wonder what else they will change..

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
So was the floor plan -3 on a 16' chassis? But the bed was bigger? How'd they do that? I ve looked at our 16' Expanda inside and out and struggle to see how they make it work with just another 1'

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I don't think the missing window will be an issue @davemc

I seriously looked at this model back when it was a 16 and I really like the airflow from the lower wall height on this model. The air flow (and view) from the flaps up high more than made up for the lack of windows to me.

Yeah you right mate, was wondering what made it feel so open to me and it's the lower wall height . Yet even though Iam 6'1" I don't have an issue with the ceiling height, was plenty high enough. Was even in it closed up and could manage.
Given the overall height these things sit now on the new suspension I think its a good thing, Iam always watching for tele poles and overhanging trees now.

But after hopping in and out 2-3 dozen times I did collect my head on the door in the end! I can confirm that the door padding they use is ineffectual o_O And I wont be doing it again.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
So was the floor plan -3 on a 16' chassis? But the bed was bigger? How'd they do that? I ve looked at our 16' Expanda inside and out and struggle to see how they make it work with just another 1'
Yeah a lot of the ones made late last year had the bed larger, not sure how they got the extra 12cm's.
We could not find one at a dealer around locally with the bigger bed and they all said the new one would be a 17".
The bunk bed are also longer in the 17" and you get the buffet

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Okay that makes sense. Geez shorter bunks. I can just fit in the 17's so shorter would be no good. I measured the bed in the 17 and it is pretty much standard double. So if it was 120mm wider but no longer that would be a pain for Manchester would it? (I don't know about the domestic don't be rude, I'd just use a sleeping bag if I had my way)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
From a plan that was on here with rear bunks. We measured the rest on a 16" when we ordered the 17"
we talking 10cms.. For us it made a difference for the double bed.
Double 17" 1320x1955 vs 16" 1200x1955
large bunks 1850x700 vs 16" 1748x700
small bunk 1557x700 same in both

Moving from a 16" to a 17" you get an extra 10cm on double bunks and double bed. Later models had the bigger double, not sure what was moved to get the extra 10cm's
Buffet is 30cms so on that side not sure how they got the extra 10cm's maybe dinnette or robe smaller.
@Swerve has a 16" with bigger double maybe he can tell you what the bunks are in his?

Reactions: achjimmy

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
We did get external shower and a porta potti although I see years of 2am runs to toilet blocks coming up. Might put a tent under awning did not get annex we thought see how we went. Just brought AFK kit and two shade walls from eBay.
Even though you could put two kids on dinette we rather have the option to split them. Will try twins head to toe although do not think we get through a night :)
Also thinking do I get a mattress on floor next to bunk as a trundle.
And yes parents bed up one end away is nice put kids to bed up non door end

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Looking at this pic I think the issue with the kitchen window is the proximity to the fridge vent? It has to be something significant for them to be so adamant that it is no longer available?

image.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Also not the sliding windows in the bunks rather than the hopper type in the earlier 16' model?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Dave have you been able to confirm what type of windows you get in the bunks? Hopper or sliders?

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
nope have not got a picture yet. There was sliders at the show.. Although who knows.
The kitchen window, well they did a year of the 16.67 and then did the first run of the 17.58 then changed it. You think found beforehand. Will see on Thursday. If I remember reading first run of 16.67 had fixed lower bunk window so as mentioned they changing it all the time. Wonder what you will get after you order :)

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
For those that were interested I asked about making the bunk a tri fold as per a 17.55-2 Expanda and the dealer thought it a great idea but the factory said NO. Wouldn't be a hard mod yourself I think. Was just thinking towards traveling with one kid.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Will be interesting to see yours Dave and what other changes are made? Did I read somewhere the spare is on the van now not the bar? Also if they delete the kitchen window whether the power inlet goes back towards the centre or they keep it at the front?