Smergen's LTZ Colorado - The Rock Truck

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
No video to demo its operation? ;) @Smergen

There is one.... but I can't be bothered trying to work out how to upload it right now. :)

But it was a huge success over the weekend packing gear. Really versatile and easy to load gear in and out. Showed it to a few people who were very impressed and thought it was quite an ingenious idea.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
A new toy for the truck arrived care of the inlaws and Father Xmas...

IMG-20170124-WA0004.jpeg

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
A new toy for the truck arrived care of the inlaws and Father Xmas...

View attachment 47603
I'll be interested to see what you think of the new model, I have the HN7 and love it, actually only got it a couple of months before the new one was released.

I have heard mixed opinions on them, but like ar#@*&%$s everyone has one but you don't have to like it......................................:bolt:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Ha ha @JS4910... I hear that.

I'm keen to see how it goes as well. We were going to go a different route with tablet or the HN7, but when the FIL said he was buying I looked up the tree. Read a few reviews that I could find and yep, pro's and con's on each model. From what I read it wasn't as "hardcore" but a little bit more user friendly. I liked the wireless connectivity of the unit.

Either way, we shall see how it works out. I shall report back.

Reactions: dagree and Drover

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Bit of a sqeeze mate. You might have to hold off on mounting the awning until you head off.

Yeah perhaps. I reckon it should still squeeze. Going to head to the show next week and see what's kicking around, otherwise I might need a road trip out to Lilydale....

Is there any noticeable increase in wind noise with these as I'm thinking of one for the Paj.

Between the snorkel and the 3" exhaust, I certainly haven't noticed anything! :) Nah, it's pretty slimline so I can't believe it would create that much drag and noise.

Actually bought some Dumbo Ears as well, but won't fit them until a little closer to the date.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Tyre upgrade.

Switched from the Bridgestone HT stock tyres that performed 70k on the money and still had life in them.

Replaced with Bridgestone 697 AT of the light truck variant. Was looking also at Cooper AT3 and the BFGs but a few factors came into it:
  • Support the local guy in town who had these on special for a great price
  • Had them on the Pajero prior and rated them
  • Plenty of positive reviews
  • Don't need to go super aggressive as a majority of km's will still be tarmac.
Toughens the truck a little too I reckon.

20170303_191050.jpg 2017-03-03 20.28.07.jpg

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
I run them on my work ute 4wd Hilux D/cab, they get flogged around the mine sites at high pressures because of the load we carry in the back and can't be arsed lowering and raising pressure all the time. So far I've done 15K on this set in 2 and a bit months so lots of blacktop miles and I certainly rate them as I reckon I'll get about 50-60K more out of them before we retire them with life left for the day to day punter.

Road noise minimal, grip is great, squeal less or not at all in hard corners compared to the previous Dunlops, better in the wet too, only thing I have noticed is they tram track a bit more, probably an indication of the stronger casing.

I would definitely consider them for the Pajero when I need to buy real tyres.

Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@JS4910 thanks for the review. After a weekend of a few highway runs and a few tows of heavy trailer loads I'm pretty impressed. Really solid on the road and yep, definitely quieter. Looking forward to seeing how they go with the van on the back as well as in the dirt.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Had them on the Prado for 2 1/2 years and no probs at all with them. Minimal road noise and no issues when towing.
Found them to be great in sand and gravel (At a reduced pressure ;) ) but not sure about mud as never really gave them a work out in any.

Had around 90K's on them when changed and I guess would have got another 5K out of them.

Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Well... I had to dig to find this thread, but I did.

It's time to update the signature and close the door of this thread...

It was a bittersweet day but the Rock Truck has been traded in and has/will head off for adventures with another family somewhere.

But what did we replace it with? Have we gone down the sensible family car route? Are our travelling days over? Do we have any guesses? And for those that follow me elsewhere, don't give it away to quickly...