Ranger or BT50

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
First world problem..... which to go for????

My lease on the navara is coming to and end so shopping around for a new ride, now I have been more than happy with my D40 with 165k on the clock and no major issues. But the D40 has been around a while and uprading to something that would handle towing the ship around a bit easier I'm doing my head in over these two. Either the XLT or the GT, being a Ford man I am leaning towards it but the value of the mazda keeps me second guessing myself.

Either or i will be getting these fitted

ARB Bullbar, bash plates, canopy,snorkel and OME 2 inch lift.
Long Ranger 142l fuel tank
King Brown or redback 3in exhaust, Redarc towpro.
And a reverse camera for the mazda, ford dont offer this only reverse sensors

So my heart says Ford, the head says Mazda. My eyes say ford too, the look of the mazda is not good not good at all.... but seeing a few dressed up they kinda hide that dodgy front end look. The Ford looks just great.

Mazda drivers are you happy you went with them? not regretting your choice everytime you see a ranger go past?

cheers
Matt

If anyone is looking for a D40 with everything on it let me know :)

Reactions: rods gq and bigcol

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I don't regret having the BT one bit, and my wallet thanks me for it everyday too. At the end of the day its the same car just different panels. Pop the bonnet, look at the window brand markings even the suspension and battery it says FoMoCo on it :)

At the end of the day drive them both and choose the one your happy with, it could also come down to the dash layout.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia

My lease on the navara is coming to and end so shopping around for a new ride, now I have been more than happy with my D40 with 165k on the clock and no major issues. But the D40 has been around a while and uprading to something that would handle towing the ship around a bit easier I'm doing my head in over these two. Either the XLT or the GT, being a Ford man I am leaning towards it but the value of the mazda keeps me second guessing myself.

Either or i will be getting these fitted

ARB Bullbar, bash plates, canopy,snorkel and OME 2 inch lift.
Long Ranger 142l fuel tank
King Brown or redback 3in exhaust, Redarc towpro.

So my heart says Ford, the head says Mazda. My eyes say ford too, the look of the mazda is not good not good at all.... but seeing a few dressed up they kinda hide that dodgy front end look. The Ford looks just great.

Mazda drivers are you happy you went with them? not regretting your choice everytime you see a ranger go past?

cheers
Matt

If anyone is looking for a D40 with everything on it let me know :)
just looked into both of these cars my choice bt50 1 price cheap at the moment on special but maybe wait longer mite get cheaper
2 room in the back seat mazda has more only a bit makes a lot of difference 3 arb bull bar on the frount they look good rear tail lights bit funny but ur not looking at them going forward lol I like the xlt gt has leather mmmm not a fan got it in the prado don't know what it is but following them there similar sizes but mazda seems bigger wider ??? my two pennys

Reactions: rcf and navmatt

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I believe the Mazda has different suspension rates and tuning but if you are going OME it doesn't matter. I love the Ranger but the Mazda has more kit for a similar price. I agree the looks are only something a mother could love but with some ARB kit it is a different vehicle.

Reactions: navmatt

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
I don't regret having the BT one bit, and my wallet thanks me for it everyday too. At the end of the day its the same car just different panels. Pop the bonnet, look at the window brand markings even the suspension and battery it says FoMoCo on it :)

At the end of the day drive them both and choose the one your happy with, it could also come down to the dash layout.

Yeah I know they are the same under thier clothes which makes the decision that much harder.....

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Yeah I know they are the same under thier clothes which makes the decision that much harder.....
im the same as u for practicality the bt50 im too old to worry about looks its what is best for me now what my best deal , value ,our ford dealers close to me are can I say prikkkks but the mazda people seemed much more professional hows things going in AYR I do miss that place and the weather and alligator creek

Reactions: navmatt

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
im the same as u for practicality the bt50 im too old to worry about looks its what is best for me now what my best deal , value ,our ford dealers close to me are can I say prikkkks but the mazda people seemed much more professional hows things going in AYR I do miss that place and the weather and alligator creek
Thats the other issue, Ford in ayr have left. So for servicing a trip to townsville everytime...

Ayr is going same ol same ol, dry as though. Some rain soon would be good, alligator creek is dry

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thats the other issue, Ford in ayr have left. So for servicing a trip to townsville everytime...

Ayr is going same ol same ol, dry as though. Some rain soon would be good, alligator creek is dry
bugger me wouldn't want jump of the rocks then great place to swim nice pub too was working there 15 years ago maybe more for nalders earthmoving living at van park with all the fruit pickers good times

Reactions: rcf

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@Bluey cabin size wise the Ranger and BT are identical maybe they have different seats though?
I think the bt is a bit more sloped the ford seems straight up and down mmmm there so close its really down to everyone's own opinion someone said the ford has better engine maping what eva that means ???????????? im waiting till next year for run out models

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin

:)
Not going to buy in to the argument as to the merits of either but as to the camera you can go to the Mazda Dealer and buy the kit and fit it in to an XLT. It includes all the wiring, camera and replacement rear vision mirror. Kit must be the Mazda GT version from memory and it's plug & play and DIY capable. Mazda also have a driving light kit that is similarly easy (excludes the actual lights themselves though). Hard to understand why Ford Dealers don't obtain it and fit it themselves as an accessory if asked.

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
We drove all of the usual suspects originally when it was time to upgrade from the old GU and being a Ford man from way back was intent on buying the Ranger. To cut a long story short, as it is documented elsewhere in a ranting post months ago, we chose the Mazda because the naive 12 year old uppity Ford salesman ( and I do use that word reluctantly) got up my not inconsiderable nose.

Totally agree that without a bull bar the Mazda is a bit of a Ming-er to look at, but it grows on you and not being exactly an oil painting myself can sympathise with the car. Let's face it, those early current models fitted with that pug ugly aluminium monstrosity were a bloody disgrace. Just what were Mazda designers thinking? Consider an aftermarket steel bullbar a replacement for the human equivalent of a brown paper bag over the head. Works for me, so why not the car? :)

To be honest, the BT50 is perhaps not just the best 4WD I have ever owned, it is perhaps one of the best cars we have ever had, and I should know as my wife keeps reminding me that I have had over 50 vehicles since the nice man at the British School of Motoring managed to get me through my driving test at what now seems like the turn of the last century. What can I say? I spent my formative working years away at sea where I had to be sensible 24/7 looking after millions of pounds worth of propulsion machinery before I could even grow decent stubble on my chin. Hence I missed out on the idiot years of hooning around in rust buckets that didn't cost a lot. So, adult life has been spent bouncing from one marque to another trying to make up for lost time. At 56 (and an unnervingly large bit )I am practical on one hand with the BT50 and still 17 in the head with my dogs di*k red alfa convertible. Diametrically opposed choices of what essentially gets you from A to B.

To be honest, I never regretted the choice of the BT50 and actually prefer the looks now to the seemingly slab sided profile of the Ranger. It all comes down to what floats your boat. Don't think you can go wrong either way, but if service facilities are an issue then it is a no brainer - go with the one that is easiest if they are a reliable outfit with a decent reputation for handing your keys back at reasonable value, with friendly banter and leave you feeling that your custom matters.

Last edited:

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I think you will find on this forum the BT50's have been more reliable than their counterparts (go down the list in tow cars and have a read). I have a BT 50 and love it. Both models are due for an upgrade in 2015 and the Mazda is set to get a more conventional front and I think the Ford may get the Everest front which looks like an old Kluger:disgust:. We are due to upgrade soon and every time I go to a Ford dealer, their pricing kills it for me. By the way, they are not as close as people think, yes there are lots of common components but also a lot of differences. I might look at the Colorado but will probably stick with Mazda.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marv_mart

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I have had my Ranger for 2 years now and it has 163k on it. It has towed the van to Cape York and spent a lot of time on mine sites. From all of this, go the BT. I have not heard any issues from BT owners, I can give you a list a mile long on mine and all of those in our fleet have had differing issues, mostly electrical although mine have been mechanical.

Reactions: Marv_mart

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I tend to agree with @meandher (a frost)

It all comes down to what floats your boat. Don't think you can go wrong either way, but if service facilities are an issue then it is a no brainer - go with the one that is easiest if they are a reliable outfit with a decent reputation for handing your keys back at reasonable value, with friendly banter and leave you feeling that your custom matters.

that in itself is atleast 20% of the buying and owning of a new car......... Sales Staff & Service ease

Reactions: dagree

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Might seem a bit biased but love The Beast. Done two big trips towing the Panda on two half circles of Oz, no problems towing, stable especially in cross and head winds etc. I have come to really like The BT Look, quite distinctive, it really grows on you.
Our local dealer swung it for us.
Have a mate in my scuba diving club who bought a Ranger at about the same time, always wants to take the Mickey at my Beast but the last laugh is mine, he has had a series of issues over the last two years that have taken his Lone Ranger of the road. If I renew, would go with the BT 50 again, reliable, easy and comfortable to drive and use as a towing 4WD, better value for money when compared face to face (pun intended). That's my bit!

Last edited:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Do you mean the screen? or the back seat if the back seat it its the seat difference only, cabs are the same.
I meant the back seats cruza driver but many others here have made more sense than me seens they have one and experience with them good luck to anyone making the choise I know if I get a new tow car it will be a bt

Reactions: cruza driver