Pizza Base Recipes

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Oh that would start a world of, "i dont like that, well i want it, no leave me alone, stop it... DAAAAD!!!!!
I might stick with ham and cheese for them!!
Looking forward to making them though, did you use a pizza stone too?

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi leesy,

Yep weber pizza stone and we found some pizza trays just like they use at the pizza shops in one of those kitchen bits shops you see around, the ones that have all sorts of bits and pieces for the kitchen. Anyway we got about 8 about the same size as the stone and maybe a tad bigger than the weber pizza tray. The idea for me was to roll all the pizzas out, place on the trays, leave for a little bit to rise a little again, then top with the filling, toppings and cheese and cook. I'll try to remember to take some photo's when I get home and I'll post them up for you to see, MrsExpanda & expanda may even be interested.

Dave

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Leesy, by the way I know what you mean about world war 3 ours are no different, that's why I roll all the bases and they each get to do their own, that way there's no arguing about the toppings, they put what they like on theirs and that's it. Saturday night was a bit different in that we were experimenting with MrsExpanda's recipe.

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
You guys have definitely made me hungry! I will being giving your base recipes a go! Do you put anything under the pizza trays or do you put them straight on the plate? I am not lucky enough to have a webber Q (I have a Coleman roadtrip) and I tried to make pizzas the other week when we were camping at Straddie and they tasted really good...but I damaged to bbq plates!

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
In the baby Q or Weber Q we put a piece of folded aluminium foil, then we put the trivet on top of the foil and then the pizza stone goes on the trivet. Pizzas are made up in the trays and then placed on the stone.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Here are the pictures of the pizza trays we use, they are 275mm in diameter, about a medium size pizza.
IMG_5543.JPG
There are 4 pizza trays and 2 weber pizza trays
IMG_5544.JPG
IMG_5545.JPG
That's the profile of them
IMG_5546.JPG
They're about 270mm diameter

I got the pizza trays from a shop called Inside Out Living at the Shellharbour City Centre

Hope this helps

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Had a go at doing a pull apart bread last night, added caramelised onion and garlic, salami and chorizo sausage and covered it with cheese, it got smashed.
IMG_5547.JPG IMG_5548.JPG IMG_5549.JPG IMG_5550.JPG
And the end result
IMG_5551.JPG
Not much left

benandjordansmum,
have never had that problem, we just follow what weber says and that is the put the folded foil down, trivet on that and the stone on the trivet.

Good Luck

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Had a go at doing a pull apart bread last night, added caramelised onion and garlic, salami and chorizo sausage and covered it with cheese, it got smashed.
View attachment 12646 View attachment 12647 View attachment 12648 View attachment 12649
And the end result
View attachment 12650
Not much left

benandjordansmum,
have never had that problem, we just follow what weber says and that is the put the folded foil down, trivet on that and the stone on the trivet.

Good Luck

Yum :)!!

Which dough recipe did you use?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
View attachment 12646 View attachment 12647 View attachment 12648 View attachment 12649
And the end result
View attachment 12650
Not much left

benandjordansmum,

Good Luck
Not surprised that there was not much left. Looks absolutely delicious!
Played around with cooking methods, but agree Weber instructions are way to go.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi Xpandafan, just used the Lauke flour recipe and the multigrain mix for the bread machines, I think it was
3.5 cups flour
1.5 tsp yeast
440ml luke warm water

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Xpandafan, just check those quatities, I basically just used the quantities to do a bread mix in the machine but then mixed and kneaded it by hand because we're trying things at home in prep for doing them in the bush.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Xpandafan, just check those quatities, I basically just used the quantities to do a bread mix in the machine but then mixed and kneaded it by hand because we're trying things at home in prep for doing them in the bush.
Thanks. Got my recipe in the bread mix bin.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
My pizza dough recipe - for 1 pizza - 160gm Atta wholemeal flour (Jimmy's - stocked at Coles), 1 teaspoon Maldon sea salt, 1.5 teaspoons dried yeast, 100 ml warm water, olive oil, 1 teaspoon sugar.
Method - mix yeast, sugar, warm water, slurp of olive oil ( say 1 to 2 tablespoons ) - set aside for about 10 minutes till frothy - then add to flour and salt - mix well, knead for 10 minutes (at home I use mixer, on the road I use my hands!) - allow to double in size, then knock back and roll out to line 30cm pizza tray. Add whatever toppings you like etc etc etc.
Re Maldon sea salt - any salt will do - I just love Maldon!!
We have an oven in our van - it will cook 2 pizzas no problem, or as many others have done, use the Weber Q (baby or otherwise).

Our routine at home - pizzas every Sunday night - no objection from my wife as I do all the cooking! I love it as very different from my day job.

Cheers

Bill

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Thanks for that recipe Billrw136 will have to try that one, our usual pizza night is Saturday and we might do them in the Baby Q or we may do them using the Hillbilly campoven and Hillbilly frypans, suppose I should post a few photo's of that method for the interest of others.

Thanks golivers travels they were good and very easy to do, especially Mrsexpandas recipe and sooo light.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Hi Dave

i love making my own dough and cooks up perfect on a pizza stone at home and in the webber Q .

This will make enough dough for 2 - 3 pizzas

Ingredients -
  • One cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons dry yeast any type but i do use a tube that keeps well in the fridge forever the brand is "Lowan" in a red tube we found this at our local Woolies.
  • 1 teaspoon each of sugar and salt
  • 2 Cups of plain flour (As required)
  • Optional 2 tablespoons quality extra virgin olive oil (For dough)
  • Enough oil to coat bowl (Any type)
Directions:
  • Combine water, yeast, sugar, salt and oil (If using oil) then stir until combined and then let stand covered in a warm spot for 10 - 15 mins it should be bubbly and frothy when ready
  • Get 2 cups plain flour but do not add all at once add 1 cup while mixing then slowly add the other cup until it forms a dough but is still sticky/tacky to the touch but not sloppy or wet
  • Coat a bowl in a layer of oil and place dough in and cover in a warm spot and allow to double in size approxiamtely 40 to 60 mins
  • Cut in equal portions 2 - 3 pieces, roll and cook
I have attached a pix of one that was cooked in the Webber on our last holiday - i forgot the rolling pin so stretched it by hand, but is perfect with the rolling pin.

Enjoy.

View attachment 12561
i have used your recipe a couple of times now and absolutely love it thanks for posting!