Pizza Base Recipes

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi Everyone,

Jackie wants me to do pizzas on the baby q tonight but she wants me to find an easy and quick no fuss pizza base recipe, we don't want to use lebo breads etc, a real dough one is what we're looking for. I've checked the recipe on the Laucke bread site and it looks o/k but just thought I'd put the word out here and see what comes up, Jennymay had a couple of good ideas, thought some of you might have some more.
Thanks and looking forward to your replies
Dave

MrsExpanda

Site Founder
Nov 29, 2012
Sydney
Hi Dave

i love making my own dough and cooks up perfect on a pizza stone at home and in the webber Q .

This will make enough dough for 2 - 3 pizzas

Ingredients -
  • One cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons dry yeast any type but i do use a tube that keeps well in the fridge forever the brand is "Lowan" in a red tube we found this at our local Woolies.
  • 1 teaspoon each of sugar and salt
  • 2 Cups of plain flour (As required)
  • Optional 2 tablespoons quality extra virgin olive oil (For dough)
  • Enough oil to coat bowl (Any type)
Directions:
  • Combine water, yeast, sugar, salt and oil (If using oil) then stir until combined and then let stand covered in a warm spot for 10 - 15 mins it should be bubbly and frothy when ready
  • Get 2 cups plain flour but do not add all at once add 1 cup while mixing then slowly add the other cup until it forms a dough but is still sticky/tacky to the touch but not sloppy or wet
  • Coat a bowl in a layer of oil and place dough in and cover in a warm spot and allow to double in size approxiamtely 40 to 60 mins
  • Cut in equal portions 2 - 3 pieces, roll and cook
I have attached a pix of one that was cooked in the Webber on our last holiday - i forgot the rolling pin so stretched it by hand, but is perfect with the rolling pin.

Enjoy.

IMG_20121222_203917.jpg

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Here is a recipe an old Italian friend gave me, it is their family recipe handed down

Base
30g (1oz) Yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 cup luke warm water
3 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tblspns olive oil

Cream yeast with sugar
Add luke warm water stir and let stand for 10 mins or until bubbles start to form
Sift flour and salt into a bowl
Make a well in the centre
Add oil and yeast mixture
Mix to a firm dough with hands
Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 15 mins or until dough is smooth and elastic
Place in a floured bowl, cover and stand in a warm place to rise for 30 mins
Knead dough down
Divide into two for large pizzas 3 for medium pizzas and roll out.

Filling
1 tblspn olive oil
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
470g (15oz) can of whole tomatoes
3 tblsps tomato paste
1 tsp of Oregano
1 tsp of Basil
2 teaspoons sugar
Salt & Pepper

Heat Oil
Add finely chopped onions till transparent
Add Garlic
Add other ingredients
Bring to boil
Simmer for 20 -25 mins until thick
Cool

Cover dough base with the filling and top with your favourite toppings and mozzarella cheese
Cook in the Weber Q and enjoy.

Well that's ours any others.

Reactions: Xpandafan

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hope pizzas went well. I've written down those recipes. I use the bread machine and the Lauke recipe if going from scratch, but for a lazy bloke I found frozen pizza dough balls in a local pasta place (who also churn out wood-fired pizzas by the 100 each day. They're 6 for $5 and do a BabyQ size pizza each. Two fit in the FamilyQ at a time. Keep some in the freezer in the Expanda. Thaw and rise on the dashboard. Keep your eye out for a local supplier.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi MrsExpanda and Xpandafan
Yep pizzas were an absolute hit, kids smashed theirs down in no time and came back for seconds, MrsExpanda your base was so much lighter than ours, Jackie loved it and told me to do it again, looks like we've found a good recipe for the campsite.
Here are a few photos of the completed pizzas
The first pizza is the kids meatlovers, ham bacon salami on bbq sauce
IMG_5540.JPG
The second is another for the kids egg & bacon on bbq sauce
IMG_5541.JPG
The third pizza is what's left of a garlic prawn on the tomato mixture filling from our recipe, very yummy
IMG_5542.JPG
well that's all the photo's we got this time, I wonder what we'll do next time.
Dave

Reactions: Xpandafan

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi MrsExpanda and Xpandafan
Yep pizzas were an absolute hit, kids smashed theirs down in no time and came back for seconds, MrsExpanda your base was so much lighter than ours, Jackie loved it and told me to do it again, looks like we've found a good recipe for the campsite.
Here are a few photos of the completed pizzas
The first pizza is the kids meatlovers, ham bacon salami on bbq sauce
View attachment 12571
The second is another for the kids egg & bacon on bbq sauce
View attachment 12572
The third pizza is what's left of a garlic prawn on the tomato mixture filling from our recipe, very yummy
View attachment 12573
well that's all the photo's we got this time, I wonder what we'll do next time.
Dave

Looks great!!!

MrsExpanda said she is glad you enjoyed the recipe :)!!!

Which BBQ sauce did you use just the bottle stuff??

And did you put any tomato sauce on it or just BBQ?

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi expanda & Mrsexpanda,

just used the bbq sauce from the bottle, masterfoods brand, no tomato sauce with the bbq, and we used the tomato filling mixture from our recipe with the garlic prawns, also did a supreme with onions, capsicum, pepperoni, salami, ham, bacon and diced tomato with mozzarela chesse.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Expanda & MrsExpanda,

Just on a side note we're going to have a go at bread tonight, we're going to try doing a pull-apart in the baby q so we'll see how that goes, might even get a couple of photos of that too if it works out.

Dave

MrsExpanda

Site Founder
Nov 29, 2012
Sydney
gwadir glad you and the kids enjoyed the pizza :D

They look awesome .... i also do a lovely tomato sauce which is also an awesome pasta sauce...

Ingredients:

*1/3 cup olive oil
* 3 cloves crushed garlic
* chilli use dependant on how much heat you like i use 1 small hot chilli and it gives plenty of heat wihout upsetting the kids.
* 2 tins diced/crushed tomatos
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* half good sized bunch of fresh roughly chopped basil
* salt and pepper to taste

Method:

heat the oil, add the chilli and garlic do not allow to burn, add tinned tomatos and the rest of he ingredients allow to simmer i usually allow it to simmer while my pasta is cooking.

Enjoy :eagerness:

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Thanks for that MrsExpanda, Jackie says she's going to try that on the kids this week, we'll let you know how it goes. These quick easy recipes are going to be great for when we're out on the track, who wants to be spending hours cooking when there are so many more more enjoyable things to be doing.
Dave

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Thanks for that MrsExpanda, Jackie says she's going to try that on the kids this week, we'll let you know how it goes. These quick easy recipes are going to be great for when we're out on the track, who wants to be spending hours cooking when there are so many more more enjoyable things to be doing.
Dave

We usually make the sauce and split it into two portions.

One for pizza and one for napolitana spaghetti so the sauce makes a couple of meals easy :)!

Enjoy!!!

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Now that's another great idea, thanks for that expanda, we usually do way too much sauce so we freeze it for next time but we might have to try doing what you do.

Dave

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Now that's another great idea, thanks for that expanda, we usually do way too much sauce so we freeze it for next time but we might have to try doing what you do.

Dave

We usually make the sauce for a napolitana during the week as its a quick and easy meal on a school night.

And we save the left over sauce for a pizza night on the weekend :)!

Reactions: gwadir

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Have fun leesy, it's easy as and great fun, if the sprogs are old enough they can even create their own toppings, ours love doing that.