My God.... jeeze thats silly

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I love a old Defender or a 101 :) yes I do like Landy's

first car (?) I ever drove in 1970
first 4wd I ever owned
love them to death, but would NEVER have another series Landrover again

was offered 2 series II utes at my cousins farm............nah mate - she'll be right

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I don't fit in a defender! Need the window down to drive them which wouldnt be much fun in the wet.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I don't fit in a defender! Need the window down to drive them which wouldnt be much fun in the wet.
I know I know..
Does not stop me looking if I can find a 90 county 6 seater I would grab one, they where not sold here a few private imports make it. I think sold in NZ so been looking there :)
Plenty for sale in uk around $10-$20k although past 89 if I want a 200tdi so hard to bring in.
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C806355

A 7 seater 110 in OZ your looking around $35k+ for a 2002 model. For that $ you can get a new MUX.

We are replacing the Mini soon as next year as 4 kids in school and swapping cars going to get old soon.
I rather not do the sensible thing like my mate brought a Kia $18k new and 7 years warranty.
So either a 5 seat Mini or get a 4WD for me

Reactions: bigcol

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
I will admit that my fuel consumption is not much less than this BUT!!!
I paid $84,000 brand new for my 200 series and if I sold it tomorrow I would probably still get $80,000 for it.
And if I sell it in 5 Years I will probably get $70000 for it with 100,000 kms on it

Try getting that with the Nissan :D:D:D

ps I used to have a Pathfinder and if Nissan was not so stupid to get rid of the Diesel version and make it smaller inside I would probably still have one.
I wouldn't bet on it, i was under the impression the 200 series was the be all and end all of resale. We had one come in, was a 15 plate VX diesel. Best trade we could get of wholesalers was mid 60s. Say new they are around 90k. There is a $25k loss in a year. If it was a Ti Patrol same age and kms. They would have paid around $65000. Trade in would be around 45-50k. The old thing of the more you pay the bigger percentage of depreciation. And at least with the Patrol you have a nice smooth V8 and a modern truck that is cheap to service and won't start giving you dramas once you hit 100000klms.

Plus for the record the new pathy is heaps bigger inside than the R51. but yes no diesel.

Reactions: bigcol and WHHEMI

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
The choices are not that easy these days, I wanted 3.5T towing capacity, I didn't want a ute, I didn't want a big vehicle (L200 Y62) there was very little choice left in 2011. The Jeep has been good and has done some harsh towing in dirt/gravel/rocks etc in above 40 degree heat and I don't sit around either, cost 55K and the Sterling cost 34K second hand so for under 100K we can't complain. Looking for it's 3rd windscreen now also, but if it has a major fail it will be gone in a heart beat, not sure what we would replace it with though?

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
I love a old Defender or a 101 :) yes I do like Landy's

Funny you should say that as I thought the same thing, I have had 2 X 110 Defenders in the past and a RRC and Disco 1. Very early this year I had a brain fart and thought we could go rough touring out of a Defender, so dived into a well loaded 2003 Td5 110, all I can say is my memory must have deleted all the noise, heat, vibration, rattles and lack of drivers space. I soon realized that with a baby and a preschooler and an older and softer driver they are just too agricultural for me these days. Luckily I bought it cheap and on sold it a couple of months later for no loss even after rectifying a couple of items.

However give me a Defender 90 as a play only toy and I'm pretty sure I could live with that.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Just curious.

How do you find a wholesaler? Is that like a buyers' agent in real estate?

I'm assuming you instruct them as to your specific requirement and what you're prepared to pay and they do the search, buy at auction or wherever, for a fee?

I'd be happy to get a 200 for mid 60's plus a bit and do the detailing myself but would like to minimise risk. Do they arrange mechanical inspections etc?

I prefer not to use a trade in but want to save on the buying price....might be a trade off and lots of hassle if that's the way it works. We usually buy from the one dealer we've used for years and trust but the smell of saving $$$ has me furious.

:car:

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Have owned a Defender 110, always wanted a Land Rover since I was at school. Had a Defender for a couple of years and personally would not have another, maybe a Series 1 or 2 as a hobby, but not a Defender. Some people like them, but have a think about the following.

If you like doing mechanical work, have a space to store it while in bits and don't take it to very remote places real Land Rovers can be a good hobby, but don't use it as your only 4WD. They have a very bad body roll, the worst windscreen wipers, lots of dust and water leaks, uncomfortable seats , issues with their transfer case, ANCAP ?stars and despite spending money upgrading suspension they still roll over. The 110 was notorious in the Australian army for rollovers.

They use of leather gaskets on the rear diff in this century is a bit sad as well as a handbrake on the drive shaft which crushes this gasket when applied and makes a new oil leak, that can only be fixed by replacing the gasket, some very strange engineering.The series 1 and series 2 Land Rovers are slow, tough, simple and old fashioned, but if you are going to spend money buy a rust free (chassis does rust) series 1 or 2 and keep it as a hobby, they can be real fun and are not as complex and unreliable as the Defenders.

If you want a hobby or paddock basher traditional boxy Land Rovers can be OK, but they are not a reliable and safe 4wd.
The Disco's are completely different and I have no experience with them or will comment on them, they may be good they may be bad, but they are not a traditional boxy Land Rover.

The real reason Defenders do not have an ANCAP rating.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/90-110-13...-reason-defenders-dont-have-ancap-rating.html

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
I've a Colorado 7 (with a one piece tailgate of course) and tow a bayliner 184 S/F which sits on it's trailer very similar to the boat in the pic. Unable to open the boot with the standard shank as the door hits the boat (not the winch).

Agree, it's not a very thoughtful design the single piece tailgate. My previous car (Tub ute with canopy) never had a problem and I doubt a land cruiser tailgate would either.

I had 3 options:
  • Sell the boat and buy another tinnie (not bloody likely, took 7 upgrades to get a boat this good!)
  • move the boat back on the trailer and move the axles, brake-lines and wheel arches to distribute the weight (sounds like too much work!)
  • spend $20 at a wrecker for an extended tow hitch.
Went the wrecker option and haven't had an issue since!

Daz

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
But that was a dealer as a trade-in wasn't it? What did it actually get resold for?
I've never traded in a vehicle cos the dealers need to be able to make a profit too.

Yeah mate it's a different thing dealer to dealer. A year ago I went looking for a secondhand GXL and the diff secondhand to new wasn't worth it. Iam sure the 200s resale will wain same as the 100 series did. But they will always be great and sort after. As I said above the Y62 should be better car being newer but being Nissan, being petrol they will never be as popular or as sort after as a 200. Nissan gave up the mantel to Toyota when they gave up the 4.2 .

Reactions: dagree

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
I heard from a reliable source yesterday that Nissan will be releasing a Y62 next year fitted with a Cumming's deisel and over 4t tow rating.
Should be interesting.

Your "reliable source" must know more than Nissan HQ.

Bearing in mind of course, that various "reliable sources" have been forecasting a diesel engine of one variety or another in the Y62 since its release in 2010. Regardless of the fact that its biggest market by a HUGE margin (middle east) isn't interested in diesel.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the Australian market for the Y62 is about 1% of total world wide sales
they stopped sales of the Y62 in the Philippines - well, never released it
they get the Infinity Q56 & Nissan Armarda - (same as our Y62) - and only in petrol

so redesigning it to suit diesel will take way too long to recoup costs of engineering it

like I said,

I would like to think so

but I doubt it

Reactions: dagree