smiley-face-thumbs-up-cartoon-yTkeza64c.png

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I looked at them and they are a dream to drive
but OUCH !!!
They are expensive
Well sold our old D3 as it started becoming a money pit and I was just waiting for the petrol engine to play up towing the 22 and its a body off to replace so $$$ and more $.
So we looked at everything that had 7 seats and brought a new D4 :(.. Talk to me in 5-6 years once it starts falling apart :)
I know we just did under 10k trip with it avg I think 17-18 towing the 22. Very comfortable tourer
Cheaper then the 200 new a lot cheaper for the kit.

Reactions: bigcol

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Yeah, the Landies are very very nice. Just soooooo many dollars. To be honest, I wasn't even looking for a Y62 when I bought this one - just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I was leaning towards a Jeep Grand Cherokee (which although I think have some build-quality issues, are a WHOLE LOT of vehicle for the money).

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Funny how Cruiser/Patrol things get out of hand so easily....Maybe I should say that the Cruiser GPS is always out by about 25% as time goes so their algorithm is pathetic...I don't even have a gauge telling me how many more kilometres I can drive unlike a $15000 Hyundai.

Fuel economy? If you own a Cruiser or a Patrol and your worrying about fuel economy you have bought the wrong car whichever one it is.

Depreciation? Well.....If my ten year old second hand Hyundai depreciated like either a Cruiser or Patrol it hit zero about five years ago so is now making me money....When it makes me another $5000 I might even buy another Hyundai.

Towing wise the Hyundai wouldn't tow the caravan over a lollypop wrapper never mind a hill.....But it could probably tow a Jeep home. Lets unite Patrol and Cruiser owners against the Jeeps....The Jeeps are against everyone with their new leader with the whiplash hairstyle.

I do love the Cruiser.....:very_drunk:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Usual thing everybody trying to justify there decisions. The Y62 is starting to get a following and that's great. There much more modern then the 200 so should be that much better for being newer. For me when I looked there was a few things. I wanted diesel for remote touring and torque (yes I know it's 5.7 but it's still petrol torque that's why it's towing figures blow out) I didn't really want anything bigger than the 200 but that's suit some. The rear hatch is not as practical and the rear area is surprisingly small for a big car. The footwell is small too. the seats were nice! And I hated the reach for the gear stick which is fixed now. I liked the appointment of them overall.

Petrol fourbies are going to struggle resale wise in AU unless things change. But good luck to those who bought them. As above there ain't really a lot of bad fourbies now just some better than others.

Reactions: davemc and bigcol

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Reminds me of the old Ford Holden panel-van back door comparison...Holden Horizontal Ford Vertical. Always loved the Holden...family was a Ford family.........Maybe I'm reverting to my childhood and am trying to compensate for a misguided upbringing.

@achjimmy Always had a diesel 4wd, the torque comparison never really worried me cause I don't do much real 4wd'ing, but having seen a few shipping container self-service stations that only sell diesel.....Well ....diesel is the fuel of choice in the outback, and I think I'd prefer to have a jerry can of diesel than a jerry can of ULP when the need arises.

My stand with respect to modern? Well I did try and convince the other half to go for a GX so I could have rubber floor lining instead of carpet....I lost....But I get a horizontal split door instead of one like a GU Patrol....and I like having a tailgate that I can sit on, and can hold in my poor packing so stuff doesn't fall out.

Reactions: davemc

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have my own personal reasons for only ever looking at the Patrol, Land Cruiser and Land Rover

they are ALL proven 3.5t towing cap
and they all weigh in more than anything under 20' van wise

if I was looking at a 3 - 3.5T Van, I would be looking at the F Truck, Silverado, Dodge Ram, Tundra & Titan, as they have 4t towing capacity

I am not a firm believer in just enough is good enough

sometimes over kill is not that bad

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
But I get a horizontal split door instead of one like a GU Patrol....and I like having a tailgate that I can sit on, and can hold in my poor packing so stuff doesn't fall out.

you would have loved the FJ55 then
the rear window was a windy one............ pain in the (right arm) sometimes

but then tail gate v's barn doors..............

meh............

had both
both good for various reasons - both troopies I had, had barn doors, 3 of the 4 60 series I had, had tail gates

best idea I ever seen was the Fairmont Tail Gate - opened both ways...........

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
the new D5 is 500kg lighter first thing I thought was crap towing 3500kg van pushing it around.

The specs currently have the tow ball max at 200kg. If so it be in trouble in OZ.
Maximum coupling point/nose weight (Detachable Towbar) (kg): 195
Maximum coupling point/nose weight (Electrically Detachable Towbar) (kg): 200

It also comes in a two 2.0 litre diesel forms
132kw 430nm or 177kw 500nm which on paper close to our TVD6 3.0 at 155kw 520nm
then the same SDV6 190kw 600nm
Although I worry with the 2.0 close to 3500 even if they up the towball.

There is also a strange note on the 2.0 build page
*Towing capacity is 2.500kg when Aero wheels and low rolling resistance tyres are fitted to vehicles specified with third row seats

So yes happy we got the current shape one.. They are now selling out :)

Reactions: bigcol