My God.... jeeze thats silly

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Looked at a new Patrol rear door today....Jeeze that's silly....

One big door....opening up.....sort of the opposite to the Prado one big door opening out.....

Is this a Cruizer vs Patrol thingy or is it just a manufacturing designers fault where they have to change things to keep their job no matter how dysfunctional the new idea is?

I thought car manufacturers were different to the government?
upload_2016-11-4_22-55-38.png

Even the Nissan add shows a pic where you cant open the boot.

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Not sure why you think its silly - lots of vehicles have single piece tailgates. And it works well in its design. Might not be the same as a 200 series, but that doesn't make it wrong - just makes it different. I'd be interested to know your reasons why you believe it's "dysfunctional" (personally, I think the two-piece design of the 200 series tailgate is cumbersome, but that's just MY opinion)

That picture you added - do you actually think it reflects reality, or is just a stylised image? (I don't know of too many boat trailers with a winch post that close to the coupling...)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Mmmmmm........

All I can say is that our Patrol with the two doors is absolutely fine!

With van hitched....extended draw bar...we could easily open the rear of the vehicle without touching anything.

Maybe the boat trailer should have an extended draw bar or give up turning left or right.

:car:

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Looked at a new Patrol rear door today....Jeeze that's silly....

One big door....opening up.....sort of the opposite to the Prado one big door opening out.....

really it depends on your desired usage
with towing a boat that close (yes they do have them like that I have seen them @Doc ) it would be cumbersome
but
towing the average caravan, press one button and rear door opens (unlike the venerated 200 series where 2 doors are manually opened)
so if you trying to get a quick "get away" from the shops before the missus see's what you have
click - door opens - gear inside - click - door closed - know one knows what you have just put away

I think its a great idea

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Is that 5.6lt total displacement or 5.6lt per kilometre?

there is a guy in the 4wd club I am in
he has the Y62 -
420Kw & 650Nm (chipped & new exhaust,lifted, 37" tyres, bar work & sliders, rack on top, all the crap in the back (draws etc - custom built)

he is getting 16L/100 daily driver
and 24L/100 towing his 20' van..............................

stop comparing your 200 diesel with a real V8 petrol engine

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
In my experience, the people that are most vocal about Y62 fuel consumption are 200 series owners. Draw your own conclusions from that.

Reactions: bigcol

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
there is a guy in the 4wd club I am in
he has the Y62 -
420Kw & 650Nm (chipped & new exhaust,lifted, 37" tyres, bar work & sliders, rack on top, all the crap in the back (draws etc - custom built)

he is getting 16L/100 daily driver
and 24L/100 towing his 20' van..............................

stop comparing your 200 diesel with a real V8 petrol engine

I will admit that my fuel consumption is not much less than this BUT!!!
I paid $84,000 brand new for my 200 series and if I sold it tomorrow I would probably still get $80,000 for it.
And if I sell it in 5 Years I will probably get $70000 for it with 100,000 kms on it

Try getting that with the Nissan :D:D:D

ps I used to have a Pathfinder and if Nissan was not so stupid to get rid of the Diesel version and make it smaller inside I would probably still have one.

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
LOL - try to justify it any way you can :)

(Check redbook - which, like it not is a fairly accurate cross section of Australia-wide prices - The Y62 is only about 5% worse off than the 200 series on resale figures. And don't forget - you were the one who came in here sprouting off about how good your landcruiser is on resale...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Delano and WHHEMI

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
People don't pay list price (same I would bet pounds to pennies that you didn't pay list price for your 200 GXL either). ;)