Hurst Family - 2014 Expanda 20.63-1 OB

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks @chartrock . Unfortunately I need to drive to another state to get to an Aldi. We still dont have them here in Perth.
Maybe Im the odd one out, but most of the stuff that Aldi sell in the Special Buys bin is crap. Some barely reasonable stuff slips through from time to time, but the across the board quality of their cheap products on offer are generally just that "cheap products". There is very much a good reason that their stuff is cheap. They don't sell $100 products for $10, they sell $10 products that look a bit like the $100 products, but are just $10 products.

Everything is in-house branded. Admittedly, some of the things we buy may just as well be cheap and crap anyway, like soap containers, tooth pics, tea towels and bath mats; but with Aldi its all budget price and all budget quality. Its a great marketing ploy, but thats about all it is. Im guilty of falling for the hype early on, but the amount of Aldi stuff Ive purchased that isn't now in the bin is very low on the inventory count

Some of the more consistently crap products which are already available everywhere anyway, Aldi hold their own; but anything that required a quality better than $2 shop quality is extremely hit/miss. I have 4 Aldi stores all within a 15 minute drive, and in Vic you also pass them regularly, but I wouldn't bother rushing in there.

The Aldi food can be cheaper, once you can get your head around their completely different in-house brands ..... but I can get that other crap they sell elsewhere if the day ever arrives that I need it.

Last edited:

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Well our little 2 night getaway was great! It's just so easy to do now with a caravan - as much as we loved the good ol' tent camping days, we really haven't looked back since getting the van :D

Really very happy with our 20.63-1, it's like a home away from home, tows well and so quick to set / pack up!

My only gripe is that our water pressure still isn't 100% - we did the 'spring stretch' thing during our last trip, but it still isn't has good as it should be, so now looking into a more permanent fix.

From what I've read on here, the NEFA 500kpa Pressure Limiting Valve from Bunnings seems to be the best option? But I'm not sure if I also need a non-return valve? Do Bunnings have these as well? Also read that there are options available from Reece - but I have no idea what I am looking, for so any advice / suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Non return valve, just get a John Guess one only about $5 and just clips into the line as for your water pressure, before spending dollars on a new pressure valve, take the one you have off line and just connect up direct and see if there's any change while your at home, if there is no change then it's not the valve you either have a blockage somewhere or it's just the small plumbing that is the restriction. You won't get pressure that will blow water out of the sink if you turn a tap on though.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Well our little 2 night getaway was great! It's just so easy to do now with a caravan - as much as we loved the good ol' tent camping days, we really haven't looked back since getting the van :D

Really very happy with our 20.63-1, it's like a home away from home, tows well and so quick to set / pack up!

My only gripe is that our water pressure still isn't 100% - we did the 'spring stretch' thing during our last trip, but it still isn't has good as it should be, so now looking into a more permanent fix.

From what I've read on here, the NEFA 500kpa Pressure Limiting Valve from Bunnings seems to be the best option? But I'm not sure if I also need a non-return valve? Do Bunnings have these as well? Also read that there are options available from Reece - but I have no idea what I am looking, for so any advice / suggestions would be much appreciated :)
You already have a non-return valve. One for the pump line in (stops mains from getting to the pump) and one for the mains line in (stops pump pumping tank water out the mains filler). Our pump line in non-return is cactus, allowing the mains to sneak past, filling the waters tanks internally which results in the water constantly running out of the tank fillers. I planning to ditch the Jayco non return valves, and install some good quality double check valves to eliminate failure issues altogether

The jurys still out with the pressure limiting valve because although its pox, the limited flow stops splash back mess and also gives us much longer showers. At first I was annoyed, but now I getting used to the advantages of the pox thing

Reactions: Flossymk1

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Finally got around to booking our van in for its first service, on the 20th April! Thankfully we don't really have any major issues to fix, however when we are away next weekend for Easter I will make sure I go through the van thoroughly, and make a list of any minor things that may need attention.

Reactions: chartrock and Ren77

Ren77

Nov 7, 2013
North Queensland
Finally got around to booking our van in for its first service, on the 20th April! Thankfully we don't really have any major issues to fix, however when we are away next weekend for Easter I will make sure I go through the van thoroughly, and make a list of any minor things that may need attention.
Good idea, we have to get ours in soon too. Do they have much of a waitlist Sandra?

Retired Old B.

Feb 20, 2015
@Flossymk1 This is the best I can do .... but its not a bad alternative. (Humor me) plus its safe with the HiViz fluro green
View attachment 28911
Hi Crusty, I like your door idea, thanks for sharing. Unless it's a trade secret, what's actually in the noodle, how does it work? By the way, you are witnessing the loss of my expandasdownunder virginity; spent lots of time absorbing the helpful comments on the site, thanks to you and others. We pick up our van in a couple weeks so maybe we'll be able to contribute too.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi Crusty, I like your door idea, thanks for sharing. Unless it's a trade secret, what's actually in the noodle, how does it work? By the way, you are witnessing the loss of my expandasdownunder virginity; spent lots of time absorbing the helpful comments on the site, thanks to you and others. We pick up our van in a couple weeks so maybe we'll be able to contribute too.
Firstly, welcome to the forum. Its been a very very long time since i last witnessed someone loosing there virginity .... im so excited ive forgotten where to look first.

Youll find some fantastic people on here. Youll of course need to head over to the Member Introduction threads and explain yourself, you van, your car, your locale and prepare yourself for the avalanche of ways to spend your hard earned.

What sort of van are you picking up in a couple of weeks, and what corner of the paddock do you come from. Theres a few group meets being organised that youd be most welcome.

As for the secret patented pool noodle ... its just a ocky stray through the central hole of the noodle, with the hooks over the noodle ends. I used the ocky with the metal hooks, because the elastic is able to be cut and shortened in the hook, after the ocky is inside noodle which puts just a little tension on it. I also bent (or more twisted) the hook so it hangs over the end of the noodle.

With the new mark II, i pushed a bit of garden polypipe through the noodle first and it gives it a substantial boost in rigidity without much added weight.

The ocky hooks, hook into eyelets on the door and van, and the noodle keeps the door rigid at a set distance allowing us the have the kitchen window open without forcing my son to stand holding the door. (for some reason he didnt like that game ... after the first hour. I did let him win the first round)

If that doesnt make sense sing out and ill post some pics

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
And if you are too busy fishing to have time to do the noodle trick a bit of baling twine works.

Reactions: dagree

Retired Old B.

Feb 20, 2015
Firstly, welcome to the forum. Its been a very very long time since i last witnessed someone loosing there virginity .... im so excited ive forgotten where to look first.

Youll find some fantastic people on here. Youll of course need to head over to the Member Introduction threads and explain yourself, you van, your car, your locale and prepare yourself for the avalanche of ways to spend your hard earned.

What sort of van are you picking up in a couple of weeks, and what corner of the paddock do you come from. Theres a few group meets being organised that youd be most welcome.

As for the secret patented pool noodle ... its just a ocky stray through the central hole of the noodle, with the hooks over the noodle ends. I used the ocky with the metal hooks, because the elastic is able to be cut and shortened in the hook, after the ocky is inside noodle which puts just a little tension on it. I also bent (or more twisted) the hook so it hangs over the end of the noodle.

With the new mark II, i pushed a bit of garden polypipe through the noodle first and it gives it a substantial boost in rigidity without much added weight.

The ocky hooks, hook into eyelets on the door and van, and the noodle keeps the door rigid at a set distance allowing us the have the kitchen window open without forcing my son to stand holding the door. (for some reason he didnt like that game ... after the first hour. I did let him win the first round)

If that doesnt make sense sing out and ill post some pics

Thanks for the welcome guys, I will hunt up the member intro thing, after we get our van. In a nutshell though, we're soon to pick up a 20.64-1. It means going back to an Expanda after having a full van, and frankly we're not looking forward to the beds, but after a lot of looking, nothing else comes close to what we want. Key things we like in the 20.64-1 are the slideout lounge and the foldaway bunks, providing a computer table, as well as sleeping option for grandchildren or guests. Main problem was the need to change our tow vehicle, to accommodate more than 2.5 ton. So we decided on something that could tow 3.5 ton: if you want an SUV-style body and a car rather than a truck feel to the driving, there are two choices, a Land Cruiser or a Jeep. We bought a Jeep. More later. And thanks again for using your noodle with the door design, crystal clear now.

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A Jeep, well done...................be prepared for jealous taunts from those without.