GROUP MEET 2016

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Some solid discussion right here. I like @17triton's rationale and can also relate to the desire to head "central". I think the "offroad" consideration is an important one as I'm unlikely to prep the van for 100's of km of dirt road driving.

For us it'll just be a bigger part of trip I imagine so Alice anywhere up to Alice in distance is good by me.

Once again, we won't please everyone, with date or location. I believe by tracking peoples preferences (Get them in people) we should try and simply go where and when suits most.

Reactions: Delano

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Interested parties so far:

1. @BUSH PALACE (SA) - thinks The Alice is a good spot
  2. @Smergen (VIC) - bound by Vic School Holidays
  3. @Ben Stanford (VIC)
  4. @chartrock (QLD) - avoid June b/c of Uni
  5. @achjimmy (NSW) - prefer travel during NSW School Holidays
  6. @Soaring (VIC) - bound by Vic School Holidays
  7. @mbr37746 (NSW)
  8. @17triton (VIC) - bound by Vic School Holidays
  9. @davemc (VIC) - bound by Vic School Holidays
  10. @Billrw136 (NSW)
  11. @Capt. Gadget (WA)
  12. @DRW (QLD) - would like it a little more Northern
  13. @Stan53 (VIC) - no good at Easter. Good over the June/July period
  14. @Four of us (QLD) - date no issue with notice, would like it a little more Northern
  15. @Bushman (NSW) - Whenever!
  16. @mfexpanda (VIC) - bound by Vic school holidays, preferably October.
  17. @Tone (VIC) - School holidays, preferably June, would like to go to Flinders
  18. @dagree (WA) - Might make the effort if it's in Alice
  19. @coled1970 (NSW) - Any time other than Xmas
  20. @relgate (NSW) - prefer Flinders in July

Last edited:

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I'll find a way on dirt though!
I'd definitely give the Oonadatta Track a go for some dirt.
I'm skipping this (and the Flinders) on our half lap, but are hitting the centre and Alice. So from a selfish point of view, I'd prefer not to revisit the centre only few months later.
Flinders hits the spot got us, but open to other locations.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We are thinking to go up the centre for our next big trip to Darwin around FNQ and back probably 2017 now.
2016 looks like we are now heading to Europe for 3 weeks for a wedding in May-June..
So for us Flinders or Corryong better for us as not sure how many days we can get off.
Corryong 5 hours
Flinders 12 hours
The Rock 25 hours

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We would also be flexible with July if it's a warmer location we just thought it might be cold at night in july in Flinders last time we went to the ranges was sept
if the consensus is flinders in july happy to tag along but bound by school holidays for another 3 yrs

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I'll just follow this thread with interest at this stage.
I'd love to get into the Flinders, haven't been there before (well, right at the bottom for one night on our big trip doesn't really count..lol)
I have 2 other personal issues that may prevent me from going. A daughter doing Year 12 next year means she won't want to go away in such an important year, and secondly, I'm applying for a new job so won't really know when my leave will be (it's a fixed work/leave roster).

Great to see ideas though...

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
I'll put in my two cents worth.
I am fine with Flinders or Alice. I sort of went through Flinders on my way to the corner last year. I liked what I saw and it's not to far from here. Two days solid drying to be exact, three at my speed.
I have never been to the Alice and would love to give it a go. My holidays next year go from 12th June for four weeks. But.. and here is the rub. My wife has a chance of going to Sydney sometime in July for the Sydney Piano festival. If it can be organised, she gets preference. If she does the Sydney trip I aint going now where. I'll be Mr Mum..
Looking forward to 2018, I retire in September that year and would love a west Aussie trip. Just putting it out there is all.....

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Interested parties so far:

1. @BUSH PALACE (SA) - thinks The Alice is a good spot
  2. @Smergen (VIC) - bound by Vic School Holidays, prefer Flinders
  3. @Ben Stanford (VIC)
  4. @chartrock (QLD) - avoid June b/c of Uni
  5. @achjimmy (NSW) - prefer travel during NSW School Holidays
  6. @Soaring (VIC) - bound by Vic School Holidays
  7. @mbr37746 (NSW)
  8. @17triton (VIC) - bound by Vic School Holidays
  9. @davemc (VIC) - bound by Vic School Holidays
  10. @Billrw136 (NSW)
  11. @Capt. Gadget (WA)
  12. @DRW (QLD) - would like it a little more Northern
  13. @Stan53 (VIC) - no good at Easter. Good over the June/July period
  14. @Four of us (QLD) - date no issue with notice, would like it a little more Northern
  15. @Bushman (NSW) - Whenever!
  16. @mfexpanda (VIC) - bound by Vic school holidays, preferably October.
  17. @Tone (VIC) - School holidays, preferably June, would like to go to Flinders
  18. @dagree (WA) - Might make the effort if it's in Alice
  19. @coled1970 (NSW) - Any time other than Xmas
  20. @relgate (NSW) - prefer Flinders in July
  21. @jeff (WA) - prefer Flinders, just not around Easter

Last edited:

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
We could possibly make it to Alice.Planning on doing GOR next year (via Adelaide to visit family)could make detour to Alice.
Not bound by hols or work so we could work around any date.Can't do Flinders because we are taking pooch with us(NP)She is in serious training now,did 200 klms today and she did good.

Reactions: dagree