17' Series Driveway From Hell

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Well I hope the expanda went well on your trip and you had fun. I also have a difficult driveway and often find it a bit stressful getting back into the driveway (not a nice feeling being stressed after a trip away).

Hope you find a cost effective solution, that's what I'm trying to do at the moment.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Well I hope the expanda went well on your trip and you had fun. I also have a difficult driveway and often find it a bit stressful getting back into the driveway (not a nice feeling being stressed after a trip away).

Hope you find a cost effective solution, that's what I'm trying to do at the moment.
Just dont come home and keep holidaying :hug:

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
So the gates has been widened by 50cm and the castors are on the van.

gate a.JPG

gate b.JPG

gate c.JPG

castors.JPG

I have used a mixture of wood and steel, chose wood so that if anything is to break, that will go first. Think it should be strong enough. Will be getting the van out at the weekend, so all will be revealed......and will be watching carefully

Final part of the tilogy will be to then widen the driveway by about 18 inches.

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Tonight's the night........feeling rather nervous as have spent many an hour thinking and making leading up to this. Due for good news ! Would be magic to just drive the van straight down and out and around and lose the 4 hours of pain and worry endured last time.

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
My neighbour turned up without the Merc but with a new commodore. Turns out his Dad had reversed the Merc too far out on the boat ramp a few weeks back and written the thing off !

The Commodore could not even get up the driveway, so out came the Kluger. With a great deal of nerves, we drove the van straight down the hill and round the corner. Castors were superb (only needed 1). We nearly got caught under the eaves and re-attached the Jockey Wheel which lowered the height at the rear by the required inch.

It took 5 minutes and I cannot say how good it felt after all the sh*te we have been through. With the gated widened we will be able to park the van further away from the house so the eaves will not be an issue in future and will also have a better angle to come down the driveway to avoid the old problem of the possible slip off the side.

Next is to get back in. Will be back to the old man's Kia and will be interesting to see how the castors go as will be more stress on them going up. Maybe we will fire up the winch, but still trying to get my head round how to sync pushing with the car and pulling with the winch at same time. Very wary of knackering the car if pushing when winch not started up. It will need very good communication between me and the missus ! Happy Days for now !

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks for the update KC, a shame to hear about the Merc

By the sounds of things once you have done it a couple more times you will forget about the work involved in getting it up and down the driveway. Just remember safety 1st. :thumb:

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
HIYA klugerclan just a quick idea , you may have already thought of this , for your communications with the wife buy a couple of handheld uhf radios , works a treat for us , we also have a small task getting expanda in and out , but ours no way compares to your hill , you are a champ cheers mate

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
lol crystal ! We have toyed with a 5k discovery for the job and station runabout, Dad and his Kia only 10 mins away, so see how we go at the weekend.

Jindiman, nothing wrong with the Kia, but much prefer to be in a Kluger once at the bottom of the driveway. With 3 children, the option of taking the middle second row seat out so the girls can walk into the third row has really worked for us. The girls can all get into their own chairs, 3 seats across second row is a nightmare and I think there are serious safety issues, all the more so if a third party had to try to unclick the seats in a hurry.

Having said this we would love a Disco 4 !

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Pity you don't have a car with low range, would be much easier.

Also seen those bullbars from Powerful 4X4 that have provisions for a tow hitch at the front. That way you could 'front' the van in.